FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Snagging pogie mono or braid?  (Read 917 times)

Knot there yet

Snagging pogie mono or braid?
« on: Jul 16, 2018, 06:43 AM »
Okay help me out. I put braid on my snagger and boy it casts but it sucks for snagging. I must have thrown 1k casts to snag one pogie this weekend.
 Mono or braid for snagging?
 I thought with no stretch the braid was the ticket.Now I thinking that mono cause it floats has a better loop(sag). Or have pogie gotten smarter?

stripernut

Re: Snagging pogie mono or braid?
« Reply #1 on: Jul 16, 2018, 07:03 AM »
I have always done well snagging with braid. I do use a 16-18" leader of fluorocarbon, otherwise, the treble hook fouls too much...

lowaccord66

« Reply #2 on: Jul 16, 2018, 07:30 AM »
I do exactly what Allan mentions.  No issues.

Roccus

« Reply #3 on: Jul 16, 2018, 08:12 AM »
I prefer  mono.....you'll lose less bait to tear out because of the stretch factor..pinch back the barbs and keep the line tight.. for every pogie you see there  a thousand below it.. let the treble sink a little...also keep an eye to the direction of the schools travel... cast ahead of them for more success..

SHaRPS

• Honor Respect Loyalty
« Reply #4 on: Jul 16, 2018, 10:24 AM »
I use both. One big difference is tying the braid directly to the treble, it will definitely foul the treble often, as mentioned by Allan.

I also agree with Roccus. I live in pogey central and have them 2 minutes from my house and usually see them before anyone else does and have them longer than anyone else does. I can tell you that using braid will lose you some snagged fish over using straight mono. The reason behind this is the no stretch factor. When a pogey is snagged and it is coming in tail first the fast passed whipping tail will hit the braid and the second you give that fish an inch of slack it can kick that treble out of its self. I have seen it hundreds of times. This can also happen with mono but it is far less likely because that inch of slack is now being driven back into that fish sort of like a rubber band.

Also - Snagging with a 1-2oz sinker and 2 trebles on dropper loops above the weight is far more effective. Odds of hooking up are greater, trebbles can be smaller for less damage, and if fishing rocky bottoms the weight has a far lesser chance of being hung up when the pogeys are down deep vs. a weighted treble. Keeping the rod tip up with a weighted treble also helps the hook points to point up and thus avoiding snags.

Wicked Wec

Knot there yet

« Reply #5 on: Jul 19, 2018, 04:46 AM »
Well finally got my snag on. Three pogies and one alwife last night. No stripers on them.
 Funny to see schoolies, pogies and alwife all together. I got a couple striper scales on snag hook is how know they were there.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.