FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: fluorocarbon and knots  (Read 8236 times)

Bigfish57

fluorocarbon and knots
« on: Mar 29, 2004, 05:35 PM »
I just picked up some Berkley Vanish 8# the other day to see what all the hooplah was about and I can't seem to a knot to hold very well at all. They break very easy. What type of knots to you guys use for Fluorocarbon? Dose it just have poor knot strength?
Anthony

Coldfeet

• MFF Mod Team
Re: fluorocarbon and knots
« Reply #1 on: Mar 30, 2004, 09:38 AM »
Black Pheonix
Its not the Line its the way or style knot you are useing. Try the Palomar Knot or Trilene Knot which will give you 100% knot strength. Also wet you line twice as much as useing Mono. The friction developed while synching down the knot reduces the knot strengh dramaticly. Floro line is not mono and reacts diffrently to these things if not done properly I have used berkley vanish 8# for steelhead and have not had any problems with it I also used 2# this past winter through the ice and caught many trout and bass over 3lbs with it with no knot falure. Watch out for line frey away from the knot and strip it off this common with Vanish If you still have problems Try Seagure it seems to be a better quality line. Good Luck
Cold Feet
Did you put the plug in the boat?

Bigfish57

« Reply #2 on: Mar 30, 2004, 09:21 PM »
Thanks a lot for the hints. I was trying to use a sinch knot and a crawford knot adn it just wasn't working out.  The Trilene and the doubble improved sinch seem to work well. I'll see how well it works in the rocks but I might just head back to good old Stren anyway. If it ain't broke I guess I shouldn't have tried to fix it.....
Anthony

sparkie

« Reply #3 on: Apr 02, 2004, 08:43 PM »
I was leary of using the flourocarbon at first too.  I always use to use 8# Stren for trolling for walleyes.  After I switched my catch rate increased 29%.  I keep very detailed records of each fish caught.  I probably go over board but I enjoy it.  Just wish the price wasn't so high.

When I first tried it I had 2 indentical poles and reels, one florocarbon and one orginal stren, same lures.  The florocarbon would run deeper with less line out.  Going to run some test this year with lighter test for crappies and see if catches go up.

mcully

« Reply #4 on: Jun 24, 2004, 06:07 AM »
You can also go up in line test since it disappears in water. I use bith vanish and p-line and went from 12 pound mono to 20 pound flouro and still get more hits with the heavy line. Sensitivity is better too. I use the palymar knot and don't have any slips. I also started using it for leaders while trolling for salmon and 2 and 4 pound through the ice. I am hooked on it for most uses. The only time it may drive you a little nuts is fishing poppers as it tends to sink. Don't give up on it, it does make a difference in clear water.

bayonne

« Reply #5 on: Jun 24, 2004, 11:39 AM »
it is becomeing the main thing used for leaders in salt as weak fish are line shy as are tuna and other game fish antthing that puts more fish in the net is great

Jigwiggler

« Reply #6 on: Jun 24, 2004, 12:28 PM »
I tie an improved clinch knot.  The only difference is I will wrap the line around 6-7 times for mono and only 4-5 for FlouroC and like mentioned above wet it well.  I used this method of tieing while salmon/steelhead fishing last year and had no trouble with 6# test Vanish. 
May your doorknobs smell of fish!!

genz_man

« Reply #7 on: Jul 08, 2004, 06:25 AM »
Trilene knot and wet it well. Never had any knot problems with it. The palomar knot is also a good one. When I wade the river I put the line in the water when cinching it up. Either that or put a good ole glob o spit on it  :o Be careful cinching it up cause you sure can stab the heck outta your thumb and fingers. :'( :'( :'( Done that a few times myself  :P

Mackdaddy21

« Reply #8 on: Sep 26, 2004, 11:06 PM »
To me the vanish was very brittle. I used the P Line Fluorocarbon leader material and it was way stronger. The leader material might be constructed differently than the type they market as a main line, but I'm not sure. But the P line kicked ass when I used it as leader. It was strong as hell with a uni knot.

Tyler

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.