FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Chipped reel spool  (Read 4665 times)

chrisfrank

Chipped reel spool
« on: Mar 31, 2004, 09:35 AM »
I have a new ultright reel.  somehow a chipped the upper lip of the metal spool.   now whenever i cast the line gets caught on the chip and my cast only goes a few feet.  is there any way to repair it short of getting a new spool?  thought of just putting a drop of epoxy on and trying to smooth it out.

venisonman

Re: Chipped reel spool
« Reply #1 on: Mar 31, 2004, 10:36 AM »
Maybe polish it down with a roto-tool?
Genesis 9:2 The fear and dread of you will fall upon all the beasts of the earth and the birds of the air, upon every creature that moves along the ground, and upon all the fish of the sea, they are given into your hands.

fishin fool

« Reply #2 on: Mar 31, 2004, 09:32 PM »
Definately do something.  Every time your line hits that spot it gets a nick, and since it's an ultra light set-up, that's not a good thing at all.

buzzbomb

« Reply #3 on: Apr 02, 2004, 07:35 AM »
If you have to build the metal up consider a space age metal filler like JB Weld.  That stuff is good...so good it may deserve a place in the hall  of fame beside duct tape and yellow rope.  It's not too bad to  grind down, either.

Jigwiggler

« Reply #4 on: Apr 02, 2004, 07:50 AM »
My vote is for the JB weld.  This stuff is awesome!  It will stick to almost anything and is strong as heck.  Rough the area with emery cloth before applying, then apply just enough to fill the nick and overlap it a little.  I believe you can rough sand it after 30 minutes.  Then let it cure fully before finally sanding it smooth. 
    I'm not kidding about this stuff being strong.  My buddy has a 235 evinrude on his bass boat that he has pretty much abused.  I think there is more JB weld in the lower unit than anything else! ;D
May your doorknobs smell of fish!!

bigdave1018

« Reply #5 on: Apr 04, 2004, 06:41 AM »
id take it back where you bought it and maybe they will replace it or send it to the manufaturer with a note attached and they might replace it. you can always find a phone number to call first and maybe talk to a tackle tech for his ideas.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.