FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Gardens anyone?  (Read 513110 times)

taxid

Re: Gardens anyone?
« Reply #4365 on: Jul 27, 2021, 12:00 AM »
Mine is healing well after 4 days of taking cetirizine ( aka Zyrtec). Stopped the reaction cold in a couple days. I’m sure mine was plant based. Just can’t identify which weed caused it. I bought the Walmart Equate brand. Same exact dose for 1/3 the cost of the name brand. I took 1 the first 24 hrs, another and another 12 hrs later. Then 2 more at 12 hr intervals. Stopped taking it yesterday. 1% hydrocortisone helped relieve the itching.

Worked for me anyway.

Good news is, my beans have already sprouted and the garlic experiment is working. They’re growing up through already.. it’ll be interesting to see what I get.

Benadryl cream works wonders on insect bites. I’ve used it a couple times at the golf course where I’m working. We’re moving targets for every biting bug there is when we’re mowing.

Speaking of golf…my Son and I are playing the club today. Sure is a benefit to play a $60 per round course free. Also nice to experience the fruits of our labors. It’s kind of our 18 hole garden.

Speaking of insect bites, deer flies love me. I'm convinced there is something about me that causes them to home in on me. I don't believe it's anything I apply as in aftershave lotion etc. Anybody else? I once grounded a boat to get out on a remote stream, and had several hundred land on the front of the boat. I ran like hell.
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #4366 on: Jul 27, 2021, 03:58 AM »
All I have to do is take my hat off. My shaved head is like a deer fly magnet. Mowing the golf course I wear a straw hat that I spritz with bug spray. Seems to keep them away.

I like to take my walk on the canal trail but this time of year I avoid it unless it’s pretty dark out. They’re terrible down there.
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

Badbrad2186

« Reply #4367 on: Jul 27, 2021, 06:33 PM »
All I have to do is take my hat off. My shaved head is like a deer fly magnet. Mowing the golf course I wear a straw hat that I spritz with bug spray. Seems to keep them away.

I like to take my walk on the canal trail but this time of year I avoid it unless it’s pretty dark out. They’re terrible down there.

Deer fly and horse fly love me

Raquettedacker

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #4368 on: Jul 30, 2021, 12:03 PM »
Picked a huge box of peppers and tomatoes this morning from my greenhouse stash…
 This will give me enough peppers for the freezer for the winter.
 The ones in the garden will be for salads … ;D

Sometimes we live no particular way but our own.....<br />Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand...<br />\"Dying is the easy part. Learning how to live is the hard part....\"

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #4369 on: Jul 30, 2021, 02:28 PM »
You do love your peppers!

Been getting tomatoes to eat. Having grilled cheese with garden tomato and bacon for Friday dinner.

We eat bad on Friday.
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #4370 on: Jul 31, 2021, 12:37 PM »
Dug one bed of potatoes today. Got a nice yield. Some subterranean muncher chewed a good dozen taters. Gonna have to check the other two beds for signs of invasion. They were salvaged for mashed taters to go with baked ham, tomatoes and cukes from the garden.

Shared some taters with outer neighbor.

Beans are coming up fast. Gonna have to corral them this week or they’ll be all over the place. Garlic is put up for the year…best harvest yet.

Gonna miss my gardens come January. But, I’ll have the fruits of my labors to enjoy.

taxid

« Reply #4371 on: Jul 31, 2021, 01:21 PM »
I need to find a different strain of corn next year that is shorter. In the 11 foot range now and finally growing tassels. Every time we get a forecast for strong thunderstorm winds I have to slide 8 foot panels in place on the west and south end to keep them from being blown down. The 2 by 6's you see have a space between then to slide in the plywood.

My deck floor is 10 feet an as you can see they are above it. This is accounting for the raised garden they are in.

I thought I was getting carried away with the Miracle Grow fertilizer every two weeks (12-4-8), but a soil test didn't show a lot of nitrogen in the soil. Probably using it as fast as I apply it? Or the soil test is flawed? But I did it twice. I'm adding a 10-10-10 granular now as I was concerned that the tassles weren't appearing. They are now.

I'm new this so still learning.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Or maybe I should forgo the corn next year as it's readily available in my area at an affordable price.
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

Raquettedacker

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #4372 on: Jul 31, 2021, 01:26 PM »
First batch of beans and peas are good.   Second planting is about 10” tall..
 Going out to clean a box with not much going on except a couple tomatoe plants and plant my 3rd round of seeds..

Sometimes we live no particular way but our own.....<br />Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand...<br />\"Dying is the easy part. Learning how to live is the hard part....\"

taxid

« Reply #4373 on: Jul 31, 2021, 01:35 PM »
First batch of beans and peas are good.   Second planting is about 10” tall..
 Going out to clean a box with not much going on except a couple tomatoe plants and plant my 3rd round of seeds..

That's awesome! I planted my pole beans a little later so no beans yet. I went to pole beans as I'm too lazy and old to bend over to pick beans as in bush beans.
Man those things really climb once they get going don't they!

Raquettedacker

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #4374 on: Jul 31, 2021, 01:44 PM »
Put your grass clippings around your corn. 100% nitrogen…
 But that won’t help much now…

taxid

« Reply #4375 on: Jul 31, 2021, 03:45 PM »
Put your grass clippings around your corn. 100% nitrogen…
 But that won’t help much now…

Thanks I'll do that next year.

Raquettedacker

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #4376 on: Aug 06, 2021, 05:21 PM »
Pulled my garlic..  planted late and only 50.  But that should get us through..

Raquettedacker

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #4377 on: Aug 06, 2021, 05:22 PM »
Have to start looking for new seed.  These were from last year’s crop..

taxid

« Reply #4378 on: Aug 06, 2021, 08:00 PM »
Line of thunderstorms with up to 60 mph wind coming through. This is my west and south facing wind block. Panels are 8 feet high. I call it shanty town sweet corn.

I think I'm going to pass on sweet corn next year. A pain in the *** and readily available locally.

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #4379 on: Aug 07, 2021, 09:30 AM »
Have to start looking for new seed.  These were from last year’s crop..
The price for seed garlic online is ridiculous.
Much of my seed comes from what I grew. I supplement with garlic from a Local farm market. They sell quarts of cloves for around $7. I sort it out for the best seed and save the rest to use. Usually jar it up in olive or vegetable oil. Keep it in the fridge and use it when I want flavored oil and garlic.

Pulled my other two potato beds today.

Really nice harvest this year. More than enough to share. They’ll dry for a week or so then I’ll wash them and dry them a bit more for storage.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.