FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Blade size  (Read 2996 times)

fish/hunt4ever

Blade size
« on: May 08, 2021, 05:10 PM »
Anyone out there have any particular blade size that seems to work any better at any different time of the year for the walleye any any lake around. I know that we like to use the large smiley blades down to the medium size in the spring with a float behind it and a slow death hook for the slower speeds. As the water Temps warm up and we go faster from like .8 up to 1.0 in the spring to 1.5 to 1.8 in the summer months we jump up to blades with either slow death hooks or regular hooks and like the size 4 Colorado blades, or the Dakota blades maybe a combination of both at times. Just curious as what others like to use and when.

Also when try cranks at times throughout the year and never catch that many fish must be doing something wrong as I see others pulling them and catching fish. Try the same color and all just catch rate not that great. Good luck and maybe see some out on the water one of these days.

Keith Walters

Re: Blade size
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2021, 08:26 AM »
When trolling crankbaits, try driving the boat in "S" curves occasionally.  That pulls the baits on one side of the boat faster and the other side slower. You might be able to tell if you need to speed up or slow down.

Dorado

« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2021, 10:39 AM »
Anyone out there have any particular blade size that seems to work any better at any different time of the year for the walleye any any lake around. I know that we like to use the large smiley blades down to the medium size in the spring with a float behind it and a slow death hook for the slower speeds. As the water Temps warm up and we go faster from like .8 up to 1.0 in the spring to 1.5 to 1.8 in the summer months we jump up to blades with either slow death hooks or regular hooks and like the size 4 Colorado blades, or the Dakota blades maybe a combination of both at times. Just curious as what others like to use and when.

Also when try cranks at times throughout the year and never catch that many fish must be doing something wrong as I see others pulling them and catching fish. Try the same color and all just catch rate not that great. Good luck and maybe see some out on the water one of these days.

I am by no means an expert on Walleye trolling!  I despise bottom bouncer rigs....But we catch a lot of Walleye on crankbaits at Lake Powell, and we pull them 2.5-3.0 mph.  I think it is a reaction bite on the crankbaits, so going fast works pretty well.

fishinjohn

« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2021, 12:53 PM »

Do yourself a favor and try 1 rig WITHOUT any blades at all!!!!
Just simply a slow death rig..  no blades..no beads....NO BLING
At some of my lakes that's ALL I USE AND I SMASH EM

appleye

« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2021, 10:36 AM »
We could write a book here! I run one slow death and one spinner most of the time unless something is really kicking butt. I change spinner size, color about every ten minutes until something gets hit. Bright days metals work best and dark day dark work best. Size 2 to size 6. All different make (Colorado, Indiana, willow hatchet). Day in and out a size 4 is were I start. Bright silver or gold and then firetiger, orange.

With slow death as stated a naked one can be great. Also with slow death there are different manufactures of hooks that all swim a bit different. Some days one will take over. We've been playing with a Matzuo hook and it's been the ticket if everyone in running a Mustad hook, Trokars are my favorite day in and out. I run those on a tournament day, they are expensive. Some time just a bead ahead of the hook works great. I've been running a stinger hook with slow death on day when the fish are nipping and it can make for a great day that no else will figure out. Smiley blades were made for slow death but I run it about 5" in front of the hook blocked by a swivel. Also small prop spinners with one bead rock.

Hope this helps a bit.

fish/hunt4ever

« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2021, 08:50 AM »
Thanks for all the input, tried this last weekend thought with water temps around 64 trolling would be good, only had one hit on the blades, tried several and nothing.  Then went and tried the cranks, tried from 1.5 to 2.5 mph and the s curves and all and nothing, must have been the day for the fish to have their mouths clamp shut.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.