FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Saratoga Walleye  (Read 5049 times)

PeterCos

Re: Saratoga Walleye
« Reply #30 on: Jul 16, 2021, 08:59 PM »
It is funny you mention that lowjack12. I fished the lake back in the 60's when I was just a kid with my uncle and father. The lake seemed big as things to when you are young. Left the area for long while, just got a new boat and living in Albany thought I would keep it at Saratoga.
It really hit me that the lake is really not very big. The amount of boats for its size seems out or proportion. Night fishing is mentioned earlier on this site and I guess I will have to go that way. Next year, although it is not as convenient  I hope to try Sacandaga, a larger water. Wish we were closer to Oneida as I do like fishing for walleye.

fishinjohn

« Reply #31 on: Jul 17, 2021, 08:26 AM »
Went out yesterday, no choice but mid afternoon. Dragging a harness slow over 30-35ft. Dumped one walleye and had my share of big bluegills. May go to just crank baits to lower number of gills for now. They are fun but would rather find what Waldo is doing.
This is why LOVE chasing eyes... at times they can be so illusive, but when you figire them out it is SOOOOOO REWARDING

PeterCos

« Reply #32 on: Jul 29, 2021, 08:32 AM »
There is an area about 250-300 yards off of Snake Hill that completely fills my finder with fish. Stacked from 15 t0 20  feet down over 30 feet.
What are they, do not think they would be walleye as they do not present themselves as overly large.

Bluegillonafly

« Reply #33 on: Jul 30, 2021, 07:21 AM »
Not uncommon for smaller gills to school up suspended over deep water during the summer, feeding on zooplankton & emerging insects.

PeterCos

« Reply #34 on: Jul 30, 2021, 09:23 AM »
Thanks bluegill, pretty much what I thought too. I would get some gills if I was dragging a worm harness, pretty good size some of them.

Bluegillonafly

« Reply #35 on: Jul 30, 2021, 02:24 PM »
Yeah, the big guys go deep. The schooled up suspended ones usually don’t get much bigger than 5-6”.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.