FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Pittsfield Today  (Read 741 times)

bogtrotter

Pittsfield Today
« on: May 02, 2021, 03:30 PM »
I headed south to try my luck in Pittsfield this afternoon.

I arrived on the NW Housatonic along Wahconah Street a little before 12 noon.

It was sunny with temps around 70.

I fished just below the dam for about 10 minutes, and caught three perch (one 8", one 10' and one 11") and, much to my surprise, a 15" rainbow (which is only the second time I've caught a trout on that stream in the four or five years that I've fished it).

Unfortunately, I had to cut the line to release the rainbow unharmed, and it turned out to be the last hook that I had on me (although I had more in the car), so I walked back to my car and drove to the W Housatonic.

I started by the Hungerford Street bridge and fished down to the W Housatonic Street bridge, then crossed the street and the far end of the big grass field with radio towers (where the stream doglegs back toward the road). 

No action in either spot, but I did chat companionably with two other anglers, who reported the same results as I was having.

Next I drove down to the Greendale Street bridge and fished from there down to where the stream doglegs back to West Housatonic Street - - again without any sign of fish.

Finally, I drove to Barker Road and fished from the Barker Road bridge to the Clapp Park trestle - - once more without success.

On the way home, I stopped at the Wahconah Street dam on the NW Housatonic again, and landed a five more (8" to 10") perch, before deciding to call it a day around 2:30 PM. 

My timing  was impeccable, because over the course of the afternoon, the sky had clouded over and the temps gradually crept down to about 60 or so, and once I stopped fishing the heavens suddenly opened and began raining in earnest.

Bartman44

Re: Pittsfield Today
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2021, 05:56 PM »
Nice report, when my son lived in Pittsfield, we tried for trout a few time without much luck.  We did better on the Pike, some big ones between Pittsfield and Lee. 

bogtrotter

« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2021, 06:40 PM »
Nice report, when my son lived in Pittsfield, we tried for trout a few time without much luck.  We did better on the Pike, some big ones between Pittsfield and Lee.

Yes, there's some nice pike in the Woods Pond stretch of the South (or Main) Branch of the Housatonic around Lenox - - but you really need a boat to do so (at least in the open water season) - - It would be pretty difficult to do so from shore or wading.

lowaccord66

« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2021, 07:04 AM »

Sheffield has some good ones too.

Way to get out Jim.  I whacked them really good until it got cloudy!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.