FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Trolling with 4 stroke outboards  (Read 21623 times)

snuffynra

Re: Trolling with a 4 stroke outboards
« Reply #15 on: Mar 28, 2011, 06:59 AM »
if you can come up with the money for a kicker try to get one,they are great for trolling.like Freddie and esox said,you can troll all day on a gallon of gas with hardly any noise and no smoke or fumes.also no motor 2 or 4 is healthy for it to idle for extended periods . if you cant find a cheap kicker ,a 4 stroke is a lot better for idling, with that size motor you can always find ways to slow it down if its a little to fast,besides even if it is a little too fast it would only be on the days its calm ...which will be about 4 days this year ;D,the rest of the days you will need a few extra tenths.

filetandrelease

« Reply #16 on: Mar 28, 2011, 07:18 AM »
if you can come up with the money for a kicker try to get one,they are great for trolling.like Freddie and esox said,you can troll all day on a gallon of gas with hardly any noise and no smoke or fumes.also no motor 2 or 4 is healthy for it to idle for extended periods . if you cant find a cheap kicker ,a 4 stroke is a lot better for idling, with that size motor you can always find ways to slow it down if its a little to fast,besides even if it is a little too fast it would only be on the days its calm ...which will be about 4 days this year ;D,the rest of the days you will need a few extra tenths.

hey buddy your all ready to go aren't you ? got a recall on my main motor no big deal just a precaution ,still can't get the ice thing out of my head  :cookoo:

snuffynra

« Reply #17 on: Mar 28, 2011, 07:25 AM »
i havent fired the boat up yet,but im ready too,m pretty sure the ice is out of the bays around mexico,or at least it has to be close. i have already been out in the yard casting and getting poles ready,my neighbors are probably saying here goes that whack job fishing in his yard again ;D maybe thats why my kids wont walk next to me in the malls??????? next year i will hit that ice thing hard.

filetandrelease

« Reply #18 on: Mar 28, 2011, 07:28 AM »
buddy of mine went out last week and got a few browns 1 was 10 lbs most were the 2-4 lbers

KingPerch

« Reply #19 on: Mar 28, 2011, 07:29 AM »
hey buddy your all ready to go aren't you ? got a recall on my main motor no big deal just a precaution ,still can't get the ice thing out of my head  :cookoo:
Is it the ICE thing....or.....The SNAGGER getting into your head thing???? ;D LOL!--KP 8)
“I’ve never met a Perch I didn’t like!! 😎

Time spent fishing is not deducted from one’s life span

snuffynra

« Reply #20 on: Mar 28, 2011, 07:31 AM »
buddy of mine went out last week and got a few browns 1 was 10 lbs most were the 2-4 lbers
did he go around the Mexico area?

filetandrelease

« Reply #21 on: Mar 28, 2011, 07:40 AM »
Is it the ICE thing....or.....The SNAGGER thing???? ;D LOL!--KP 8)

he keeps talking about going some where fine by me ,the work here isn't going any where  ;D

KingPerch

« Reply #22 on: Mar 28, 2011, 07:48 AM »
changed that post a little Freddie to better understand what I was trying to say!!!! ;)--KP 8)
“I’ve never met a Perch I didn’t like!! 😎

Time spent fishing is not deducted from one’s life span

filetandrelease

« Reply #23 on: Mar 28, 2011, 07:51 AM »
changed that post a little Freddie to better understand what I was trying to say!!!! ;)--KP 8)

no problem

kchamp

• fish hard or stay home
« Reply #24 on: Mar 28, 2011, 09:20 AM »
I got a little yamaha 2hp 4 stroke kicker and it runs fine, last year I could troll most of the day for like .50, and it will troll what ever speed I need, u can fine 4 strokes for like 300-500 off ebay and craigs list. This year I would like to put a digital throttle control on it, any body got one  

filetandrelease

« Reply #25 on: Mar 28, 2011, 09:27 AM »
buddy of mine has 1 and it works slick ,

kchamp

• fish hard or stay home
« Reply #26 on: Mar 28, 2011, 09:28 AM »
I have heard they work real good, mine is a 05 yamaha 2.5 and cabela`s has them for 6hp, the nice thing is you can just adjust the speed with out going back to the motor, sometimes it is a pain to get it just right

kchamp

• fish hard or stay home
« Reply #27 on: Mar 28, 2011, 09:30 AM »
hey freddie ask him which one he has, ConTrollKing Remote Throttle Control or TrollMaster™ Pro 2 Digital Throttle Control

reeleyz

« Reply #28 on: Mar 28, 2011, 09:34 AM »
Yeah a kicker is the best option for sure. We'll see how well it works without one and maybe get one next year.

I fished with a guy last fall that had a knob on the dash to change the speed on his kicker. That was slick.

kchamp

• fish hard or stay home
« Reply #29 on: Mar 28, 2011, 09:45 AM »
Yeah a kicker is the best option for sure. We'll see how well it works without one and maybe get one next year.

I fished with a guy last fall that had a knob on the dash to change the speed on his kicker. That was slick.
I mostly troll lead core a lot, i think you will have to put a plate on your motor to get it down to the speed like 1.7 to start with and get it up to 2.2- maybe 2.5mph, the pail and the bag is just a pain in the a--, it will work. Not sure what you have for a boat but if you need any help or want to see how I got mine set up just let me know. I got to start getting it ready for the panfish.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.