FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Lake Champlain Salmon run  (Read 3720 times)

jjf

Lake Champlain Salmon run
« on: Sep 11, 2017, 03:27 PM »
I realize that the big salmon run in nys occurs over on the Lake Ontario....Salmon River etc.  I've done that its a lot of fun. That said I was hoping to try something different this fall and to fish the landlocked salmon that run into the Ausable, Boquet or Saranac rivers. Does anyone have any beginner advice? Lures? techniques? set up?
Thanks

jjf

Re: Lake Champlain Salmon run
« Reply #1 on: Sep 12, 2017, 06:15 AM »
LOL. 88 views and nothing?  ::)  Feel free to PM  if you have any information share. Thank guys.

swamp hawgs

« Reply #2 on: Sep 12, 2017, 07:59 AM »
im interested in this as well

bigredfishing

• Screw the BS, let's go fishing.
« Reply #3 on: Sep 12, 2017, 09:28 AM »
in my experience the time to go is now, the best salmon fishing I've had is at the mouths and lower stretches of the creeks you mentioned in early to late september.   there's not a lot of fish, and very few people, but the fish that are there will aggressively smack lures like spoons, spinners, and streamers.  early mornings, evenings, and rain is the best.   

Once you get into october, a lot more people are fishing, and a lot more fish are moving, but they aren't nearly as aggressive.   by early november, the maximum number of fish are in the river and spawning.  I see lots of pics of people catching fish at this time, but i haven't figured out how to get them to actually bite a lure once they are at that stage.

jjf

« Reply #4 on: Sep 12, 2017, 11:54 AM »
Thanks Red. I think I just head up and give it a try with some of trout lures and spinners. Nothing ventured. Nothing gained. I've had good luck with the pin minnow so I start with the silver and then the black/gold/orange patterns.

Hookset

« Reply #5 on: Sep 12, 2017, 04:11 PM »
My folks have a place in Willsboro, about a mile from the mouth of the Boquet, and I have been out there a few times over the past few autumns.  The guys that I saw catching fish early on were using worm rigs (yup, just like the walleye guys use).  I caught a couple small schooley salmon and a small laker on a Mepps inline spinner.  I threw a bunch of lures out there, but that was all that worked for me.  Now that the fish ladder is decommissioned, I hope that changes for the better and the fish are better size.  The only people I saw 'catching' fish at peak spawn were the d-bags who were fishing 'Alaska-style' between the unimproved launch below the fish ladder and the dam itself.  Where is DEC when you need them?
We don't own the Earth, the Earth owns us.
US ARMY Veteran: A Battery 6/32 FA, MLRS

taxid

« Reply #6 on: Sep 12, 2017, 04:43 PM »
What is "Alaska style?"
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

Raquettedacker

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #7 on: Sep 12, 2017, 05:17 PM »
Willsboro?  Bay?  Do you know the Neevles or the Eddies?
Spent a lot of time there in the early 80,s..
That was the birth of the fish ladder and observation window...   
So its not there any more?
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own.....<br />Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand...<br />\"Dying is the easy part. Learning how to live is the hard part....\"

lowaccord66

« Reply #8 on: Sep 13, 2017, 08:52 AM »
What is "Alaska style?"

I think he means snagging.

Hookset

« Reply #9 on: Sep 13, 2017, 12:50 PM »
I definitely mean snagging.  I watched those meatpoles throwing lead-wrapped trebles for three hours.  In Alaska, that crap is legal (it was when I was there in 2004).  Definitely not legal here.

Raquettedacker:  Nope, I don't really know anyone up there.  My folks have had the place on Willsboro Point for 20+ years.  I go up once in spring to open the camp and bring my boat home, and a couple times in the fall for smallies and closing camp.  Their place is on Mt View Ave, at least that's what I believe it's called these days, right between the lake and the bay.  It's about 1/4 mile from the Willsboro State Boat Launch on the bay.  I love fishing the actual Point in spring, you can occasionally see the Lakers swim past in schools.  Nice smallies also.  And yes, the fish ladder is no more, the DEC finally got it right.  If you want the salmon population to thrive, they needed to open up the breeding waters.
We don't own the Earth, the Earth owns us.
US ARMY Veteran: A Battery 6/32 FA, MLRS

zwiggles

« Reply #10 on: Sep 13, 2017, 01:01 PM »
And yes, the fish ladder is no more, the DEC finally got it right.  If you want the salmon population to thrive, they needed to open up the breeding waters.

I am in No way trying to start an argument, but wouldn't a fish ladder allow them to get to the breeding grounds? I am curious how removing the ladder helped?

I am assuming they would get trapped upstream of the ladder in an area where they can't spawn well, but I am curious.

Thanks!

itsmedick

« Reply #11 on: Sep 13, 2017, 01:37 PM »
there was in impassable dam with a fish ladder around it. they ripped out the dam and the ladder. fish can run all the way to wadhams falls now

zwiggles

« Reply #12 on: Sep 13, 2017, 02:22 PM »
Aha that makes sense. Thanks!

taxid

« Reply #13 on: Sep 13, 2017, 08:13 PM »
I think he means snagging.

That's what I figured.
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

jjf

« Reply #14 on: Sep 14, 2017, 06:46 AM »
I wouldn't have guess worms but I'll bring a few.  I'm still trying to decide which of the three river to try. Any suggestions?

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.