FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: RUSTIE (SOFT SHELL CRABS)  (Read 1833 times)

abishop

RUSTIE (SOFT SHELL CRABS)
« on: Jul 05, 2018, 09:17 AM »
Trying to locate some of the large variety (rusties). Seems like all the bait stores that I know of are now carrying only the smaller version pond craws. Does anyone know of a bait shop who still carries the larger version????

taxid

Re: RUSTIE (SOFT SHELL CRABS)
« Reply #1 on: Jul 05, 2018, 11:12 AM »
Are you sure the large ones are called rusties? I was under the impression rustles are an invasive and not legal to sell?
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

abishop

« Reply #2 on: Jul 05, 2018, 01:14 PM »
Are you sure the large ones are called rusties? I was under the impression rustles are an invasive and not legal to sell?
This is what one of the bait store owners called them years ago. Not sure of the spelling rustys or rusties. Don't think there is a letter l in the name. I could be wrong. Used to cost anywhere between 8 and 10 dollars a dozen. In Illinois it was against the law to sell them alive. They had to be dead or frozen. GO FIGURE???

taxid

« Reply #3 on: Jul 08, 2018, 07:41 AM »
Don't even get me started with Illinois. To ship frozen fish to taxidermists in Illinois I need a $100.00 license. I know the license does not apply to dead fish, but if it comes down to interpretation they win. Needless to say I refuse to sell any fish to a taxidermists in Illinois unless there are enough sales to justify the $100.00 fee. I get one or two requests a year in that state.
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

abishop

« Reply #4 on: Jul 08, 2018, 01:13 PM »
NEVER REALLY USED THE POND CRAWS. I THINK THEY ARE HARD SHELL CRABS. THE SOFT SHELL COMES IN AFTER THEY MOLT. Has anyone had just as much luck getting the jumbos with these? Do you peel their skins off? , or just use whole????

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #5 on: Jul 08, 2018, 02:27 PM »
Hook them through the tail, Peel or crack the carapace and hang on. Soft shells aren't worth the price.

Rg
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

northrn-duck-assassin

« Reply #6 on: Jul 08, 2018, 02:37 PM »
NEVER REALLY USED THE POND CRAWS. I THINK THEY ARE HARD SHELL CRABS. THE SOFT SHELL COMES IN AFTER THEY MOLT. Has anyone had just as much luck getting the jumbos with these? Do you peel their skins off? , or just use whole????

AL- just use pinchers, far cheaper and work better than the softies, honestly.
its more than catching food, its also catching a piece of mind and integrity within

northrn-duck-assassin

« Reply #7 on: Jul 08, 2018, 02:39 PM »
The "soft shells'' is the molting phase, when they are most vulnerable.
its more than catching food, its also catching a piece of mind and integrity within

taxid

« Reply #8 on: Jul 08, 2018, 03:21 PM »
I think there is a way for commercial producers to get them to molt faster and more often, but don't know enough to say how they do it. I have thought about producing crayfish as there definitely is a demand in my area.

abishop

« Reply #9 on: Jul 08, 2018, 04:57 PM »
I think there is a way for commercial producers to get them to molt faster and more often, but don't know enough to say how they do it. I have thought about producing crayfish as there definitely is a demand in my area.
Someone once told me the water temps have to reach a certain temp. When it warms up enough they shed their shells and get the soft shells for a time. Then they turn hard again.

northrn-duck-assassin

« Reply #10 on: Jul 08, 2018, 05:17 PM »
Exactly correct, all about the water temperature. Bait suppliers would have well enough stock on them, and feed them a certain diet and maintain water temps to the right conditions. There was a small science to it.

fishinator

« Reply #11 on: Jul 08, 2018, 06:16 PM »
There was a place in monticello that raised them. I believe it is out of business now. They had what appeared to be several artificial creeks with water flowing through them. The water was collected at the bottom and pumped back up. I'm sure it could be done in a pond also.

fishinator

« Reply #12 on: Jul 08, 2018, 07:13 PM »
lol we were posting same thing at the same time lmao.
lol. It's been a long time ago, but I remember them being expensive. I'm thinking it was around $7-8 dozen. I'm pretty sure they went out of business.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.