FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: I think I need to get out and fish more...  (Read 2075 times)

taxid

I think I need to get out and fish more...
« on: Sep 24, 2018, 09:27 AM »
Seems every time I take a fishing trip as of late the fishing sucks! Granted it can be difficult if you don't know the lake but stlll...!

Apparently I need to pick up the skill set again. I used to be able to catch fish anywhere at any time!

Or is the fishing pressure getting so intense there just aren't as many fish as there used to be?

Just came back from a Michigan lake. Couldn't catch squat! But then it was a bluebird sky bright sun post cold front day and I didn't see anyone else catching anything either. And the lake may have been turning over.
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

appleye

Re: I think I need to get out and fish more...
« Reply #1 on: Sep 24, 2018, 09:36 AM »
I think fishing has its ups and downs like baseball. For a while your on and others your off. Time on the water points you in directions. Different waters teaches how to read water. I enjoy new waters because when it works it's very satisfying. 

Bottom line is a person always needs more time out!

seamonkey84

« Reply #2 on: Sep 24, 2018, 10:47 AM »
Just do a quick “survey” of one your ponds. Between slumps, when I just want to stretch some line, I’ll try to hit a recently stocked river for trout or a pond for some panfish action.
"You know when they have a fishing show on TV? They catch the fish and then let it go. They don't want to eat the fish, they just want to make it late for something." - Mitch Hedberg

Fishermantim

• I go where the water takes me!
« Reply #3 on: Sep 24, 2018, 11:26 AM »
When fishing gets like this (lake turning over, etc...) it pays to have specific bodies of water that are either smaller so the effect is not as impactful, or find a river, stream of creek where the water is always moving and try there.
The ONLY reason for me to look forward to the "turn-over" is that is signals the beginning of another season.
Fall turn-over signals the upcoming winter and ice fishing.
Spring turn-over signals the upcoming summer kayak season.

Hopefully you can find some local waters that will tide you over until the waters settle down...
"God is playing to an audience that's afraid to laugh" (George Burns from "Oh, GOD")

"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy!" - The Existential Blues

taxid

« Reply #4 on: Sep 24, 2018, 11:50 AM »
Thank you for the kind words gentlemen!
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

filetandrelease

« Reply #5 on: Sep 24, 2018, 01:00 PM »
Like appleye said their are ups and downs , least you got out that counts for something , you’ll get them next time 💪🏼

bart

• Gone fish'n, not wish'n
« Reply #6 on: Sep 24, 2018, 06:18 PM »
Those times when the fishing is tough only makes the catches that much better...  tight lines my friend!
KEEP AMERICA GREAT!  God Bless America!
"Many fish their entire lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after."-Henry David Thoreau

lowaccord66

« Reply #7 on: Sep 26, 2018, 09:15 AM »
I fish almost daily.  Sometimes I fish poorly and catch squat.  Could be distracted from other things.  Could be bad conditions.  Whatever the case may be I am always ready to do the next trip.

For example this has been my worst year of surf casting for striper...in over a decade.  Only thing I can do is enjoy the trips not the catching.

taxid

« Reply #8 on: Sep 26, 2018, 09:34 AM »
I don't have any issues on the local lakes catching fish although our trout lakes have become disappointing for size and quality due to a darth of coldwater forage fish. It's just the trips to new bodies of water that can be challenging.

seamonkey84

« Reply #9 on: Sep 27, 2018, 09:22 PM »
Yea, new water is always challenging, part of the fun but very frustrating. I’ve realized how much good electronics help figure out a new area.
"You know when they have a fishing show on TV? They catch the fish and then let it go. They don't want to eat the fish, they just want to make it late for something." - Mitch Hedberg

fishinjohn

« Reply #10 on: Sep 28, 2018, 04:12 PM »
I don't have any issues on the local lakes catching fish although our trout lakes have become disappointing for size and quality due to a darth of coldwater forage fish. It's just the trips to new bodies of water that can be challenging.
Speaking from experience... I just recently started fishing erie(about 3 years ago) first year I caught maybe 5 or 6 eye
Last year I would catch 1 or 2 eyes every trip out... this year....I landed over 200 eyes.. now it helps that Erie is ON FIRE and the bite is unreal..however.. I learned alot bu talking to others AND the biggest thing I did was.. calm down and go back to the basics of fishing.. no more gadgets and gizmos.. read the graph.. put the bait where it needs to be...
Plain and simple..
Dont get down and think you need to get your skill back.. you haven't lost it!!!!!!!!!!! Just maybe a time to reflect on your tactics and possibly tweak them a tad!
You'll get it figured out

ssbob

« Reply #11 on: Sep 28, 2018, 04:31 PM »
i believe that a bad day fishing is better than a good day at work  . dont ever think you fished poorly  sometimes they are not biting -hitting     its called FISHING     not catching

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.