FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: West Branch / Penobscott River ***UPDATE***  (Read 6557 times)

SHaRPS

• Honor Respect Loyalty
West Branch / Penobscott River ***UPDATE***
« on: Jun 10, 2019, 08:46 AM »
Good morning,

Does anyone have any intel on this general area? I will be heading up here for a few days mid July and I am wondering what this general area has to offer for fishing. Any help or intel would be appreciated. Its a 7 hour ride for me so packing the right gear is essential. I am guessing trout, salmon maybe, smallmouth?
Wicked Wec

JDK

Re: West Branch / Penobscott River
« Reply #1 on: Jun 10, 2019, 09:20 AM »
Depending on where you are going, there may be special regulations in place.

https://www.maine.gov/ifw/fishing-boating/fishing/laws-rules/special-laws.html#p

# SAND

woodchip1

« Reply #2 on: Jun 10, 2019, 02:00 PM »
The little Eddy has always been a favorite for Trout Salmon

9huskies

« Reply #3 on: Jun 10, 2019, 08:36 PM »
Bring a kayak and have some whitewater fun. If you're not that adventurous there are rafting companies that will bring you down the river. There's a lot of nonfishing fun on that river.

SHaRPS

• Honor Respect Loyalty
« Reply #4 on: Jun 11, 2019, 10:32 AM »
I am staying at the Big Eddy Campground right on the river which I believe is about 20 miles from the town of Milinocket. Only up there to fish for 2 full days.
Wicked Wec

fish wayniac

« Reply #5 on: Jun 11, 2019, 01:16 PM »
I have only white water rafted . When I stayed at the big eddy campground it was a popular spot to fish. People would anchor there canoe and fly fish for salmon right there.

PK186

« Reply #6 on: Jun 11, 2019, 04:02 PM »
I am staying at the Big Eddy Campground right on the river which I believe is about 20 miles from the town of Milinocket. Only up there to fish for 2 full days.

On the opposite side of the river from the Golden Road is good fishing at Big Eddy. Did you bring a boat or canoe?

woodchip1

« Reply #7 on: Jun 11, 2019, 09:24 PM »
Right off the west shore at little eddy Ive seen some great Salmon caught over the years.

SHaRPS

• Honor Respect Loyalty
« Reply #8 on: Jun 12, 2019, 08:01 AM »
On the opposite side of the river from the Golden Road is good fishing at Big Eddy. Did you bring a boat or canoe?

This is exactly where I will be. Opposite side of the golden road and all the way east. I am bringing some spinning gear and a 5W fly rod with floating line. Any suggestions for flies and or lures? From my understanding, salmon 16" or less have no limit on them. Maybe toss one or 2 on the fire.
Wicked Wec

blackbetty

« Reply #9 on: Jun 12, 2019, 10:24 AM »
This is exactly where I will be. Opposite side of the golden road and all the way east. I am bringing some spinning gear and a 5W fly rod with floating line. Any suggestions for flies and or lures? From my understanding, salmon 16" or less have no limit on them. Maybe toss one or 2 on the fire.

Read the rule book first. Rules are different depending on where you are on the river.  Wardens have a strong presence there so if you are in the wrong, they will write you up. 
At the campground  (East of Telos Rd) you can use lures with only 1 hook (1 treble is OK)
1 salmon 18" or longer.
West of Telos Rd is Fly Fishing Only

PK186

« Reply #10 on: Jun 12, 2019, 02:42 PM »

I always use a smelt imitation lure or fly. Every one in a while a big native brook trout comes out of there.

jacksmelt

« Reply #11 on: Jun 12, 2019, 03:48 PM »
I've never fished it but i know the salmon up here usually move into the lakes by mid july. bring your bass gear. they're are lots of smallies in there. i can bring you a hr. west of there and get you some whitefish, brookies and togue.
PARADISE IS A 5LB. SALMON ON A 5WT. FLYROD!!

SHaRPS

• Honor Respect Loyalty
« Reply #12 on: Jul 08, 2019, 08:57 AM »
Jack smelt thank you for the offer and the tips on the smallies.

After dong some additional research i did find a few fly patterns worth trying. Its almost that time!
Wicked Wec

9huskies

« Reply #13 on: Jul 09, 2019, 07:00 PM »
One of my best fish stories happened on the West Branch when I wasn't fishing. I had just kayaked the second drop at Big Amberjackmockamus and was in calm water when my friend decided to flip me. In that second while I was upside down before rolling upright a big salmon swam about 6 inches in front of my face. It was my most memorable moment of hundreds of hours on that river.

Turnbuckle

« Reply #14 on: Jul 10, 2019, 06:56 AM »
I’ve fished the river on and off for years. It can be big and intimidating, just break it down and fish the pocket water. Big Brooke’s have made a come back and the salmon depending on year can be incredible. Look for resting spots for fish between long hard runs of rapids. I’ll be heading up to camp at the Eddy for 4 days in a couple weeks.
At the mouth of the river at Sebago in the Spring, it's East to West unless you want a beating from the rest! ;D ;D

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.