FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: More Braided ?'s For Pigshank  (Read 3308 times)

hagstah

• If you can't take winter, you don't deserve summer
More Braided ?'s For Pigshank
« on: Jun 19, 2007, 11:00 AM »
When fishing PowerPro 20# this morning, Things went very well at o'dark thirty, mostly twitching 6" black sluggos. As it got a bit brighter the sluggo fishin reallly slowed down. No great surprise there BUT.......I tied my hook directly to the PP.....Is this okay to do? Or should I be using a fluoro or mono leader?  It seemed to me that I could see the PP more so than my other rod rigged with mono (12lb trilene BG).

Pigshanks

• Who stopped payment on my reality check?
Re: More Braided ?'s For Pigshank
« Reply #1 on: Jun 19, 2007, 11:08 AM »
Give it a try. There is now right or wrong when it comes to technique. Yes, it is more visible in the water most times, so try a leader and see what happens. Just remember the test of the leader when hauling in the big one :)

ALBERTA  REPORT A POACHER  1-800-642-3800 or #3800 on the TELUS Mobility network (Courtesy of TELUS Mobility)

hagstah

« Reply #2 on: Jun 19, 2007, 11:12 AM »
Which way do you fish the PP? direct tie or with leader? Also do you use it for lures, soft plastics, jigs all of the above?

hagstah

« Reply #3 on: Jun 19, 2007, 11:15 AM »
Oh yeah I keep forgettin to ask you also...............what do you fish for up there in Alberta? Is there much LMB fishing there or are you mostly pike/muskie and Smallmouth?          Hope you're hittin em well this season.        Also, thanx again for all your help

Pigshanks

« Reply #4 on: Jun 19, 2007, 11:18 AM »
Which way do you fish the PP? direct tie or with leader? Also do you use it for lures, soft plastics, jigs all of the above?

Depends on the action I need. Sometimes I will tie direct to the lure, other times I will use a snap swivel. I usually use the PP when fishing the toothy pike in heavy cover and when I am river fishing for sturgeon. They usually play havoc with mono and this stuff fits the bill just right!

ALBERTA  REPORT A POACHER  1-800-642-3800 or #3800 on the TELUS Mobility network (Courtesy of TELUS Mobility)

Pigshanks

« Reply #5 on: Jun 19, 2007, 11:21 AM »
Oh yeah I keep forgettin to ask you also...............what do you fish for up there in Alberta? Is there much LMB fishing there or are you mostly pike/muskie and Smallmouth?          Hope you're hittin em well this season.        Also, thanx again for all your help

My neck of the woods is mainly pike, perch, eyes and sturgeon, along with the stocked rainbow lakes. Further west into the foothills and mountains is more of the trout waters.

hagstah

« Reply #6 on: Jun 19, 2007, 11:38 AM »
Cool, must be like pike fishing nirvana up that way, We don't have too much pike fishing here in Mass, there are some around and its a verrrry strong loyal following  of pike fisherman but its almost all hardwater fishing. I do go on a yearly excursion with a large group to Vermont pursuing the toothy critters thru the ice, the idea of fishing them open water gives me major wood. My PR is 32" long which is okay I guess but it was in Vt. not here in Mass. and it was thru the ice.  I do some striped bass fishing too, The ocean is only bout an hour drive. I know lots of guys swear by the braid when fishing the salt mostly fishing jigs and plugs. My experience in the salt is mostly fishing chunked bait for stripers drifting jigs for fluke etc etc.
      I was really pleasantly surprised with the PP and how well it casts. I spooled one reel with it and used that for my soft plastics this am, but I bet it would be great on regular lures with swivel snap or a snap swivel, I didn;t even think of that this AM as I was eager to try it with the Sluggos.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.