FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: For the kayak anglers here: Roof Racks?  (Read 1167 times)

taxid

For the kayak anglers here: Roof Racks?
« on: May 06, 2019, 11:26 PM »
On my last solo vacation I was able to fit my Hobie kayak entirely inside my SUV by putting the passenger seat down. I thought that was pretty cool until I cracked the windshield. Wife didn't think it was cool at all.  :laugh: And she's coming with me this vacation so I need another option for hauling the kayak. I have a small trailer but not real keen on pulling a trailer if I don't have to.

So other option is a roof rack.

I'm going to mount cross bars to my Saturn Vue as it didn't come with them.
So the next step is a roof rack.

Any suggestions and preferences?

The options out there seem enormous and confusing.

I have a 10 foot Hobie Sport if that makes any difference.

What about just securing swim noodles around the cross bars and strapping the kayak to the rack, then running a line from the front of the kayak  to the front bumper and from the back of the kayak to the rear of the vehicle?
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

dukhnter8

Re: For he kayak anglers here: Roof Racks?
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2019, 06:00 AM »
I hunt ducks out of a canoe. I have a pickup with a cap and invested in a Yakima system. I would suggest getting either Yakima or Thule roof rack system. Once you invested in one you just have to buy new clips if you get a different car. I have had mine on four different vehicles. You can also find them used for cheaper too.

Jethro

• I fish, therefore I am... always buying gear
Re: For he kayak anglers here: Roof Racks?
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2019, 07:39 AM »
What about just securing swim noodles around the cross bars and strapping the kayak to the rack, then running a line from the front of the kayak  to the front bumper and from the back of the kayak to the rear of the vehicle?

That would work but honestly if you are dropping the coin on the crossbars and foot kit for your factory tracks, buying a pair of kayak saddles is the least of it. Plus like dukhnter said, the towers and crossbars and attachments all can move to your next vehicle. I used to sell both Thule and Yakima. Both are great systems, direct competitors and similar costs.

taxid

Re: For the kayak anglers here: Roof Racks?
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2019, 08:42 AM »
Thank you gentlemen!

“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.