FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Smelt, Salmon, tips??  (Read 6675 times)

Cider

Smelt, Salmon, tips??
« on: Mar 31, 2004, 02:56 PM »
Well, April 1st is tomorrow.  The ice is still in the way for trolling and will be for several weeks yet I imagine.

I have never bothered to fish docks/piers or open water for salmon this early in the season.  I usually wait until the fourth saturday in April and the opening of Pleasant Lake in New London.  Usually by then, the ice is out and the lakes are prime for trolling.

Anyone have any tips for using smelt off docks or fishing for LLS this early in the year?

What do you use, how do you rig it.  Do you just cast smelt out from shore or docks using spinning gear?

Thinking about trying Winni and/or Newfound this weekend.  What would be some good places to go?

There are only 14 lakes in NH that are managed for landlocked salmon.  Big Dan Hole Pond, First and Second Connecticut Lakes, Conway Lake, Lake Francis, Merrymeeting Lake, Newfound Lake, Ossipee Lake, Big and Little Squam Lakes, Sunapee Lake, Lake Winnipesaukee and Winnisquam Lake.

Pleasant Lake in New London also is managed for salmon, but is classified as a trout pond and doesn't open until the fourth saturday.

What is everyone's favorite lake for early season salmon?

Thanks for your advice/tips in advance!

Smelt1

• Born to fish,forced to work!
Re: Smelt, Salmon, tips??
« Reply #1 on: Apr 01, 2004, 04:01 PM »
If I can't get my boat in the water(which has never happened yet) I'll usally fish the docks in wolfeboro or the long island bridge in moultonboro. I have done real well on a olive leech pattern,either tied to a jig head painted black or on a sinking fly.They seem to imitate this green caterpillar that comes out this time of the year.The bows seem to go for them also.But usally we'll pull up to the ice in my 14' boat and dangle a live smelt over the side 10' down.This time of the year large salmon like to cruize the edge of the ice.Another killer lure has been the 1.1/2" long tender tubes from bass pro.White for salmon and yellow for big bows.Went to Wolfeboro this morning and hooked 3 salmon largest was only 20" caught all 3 on the olive leech pattern tied on a 1/4 oz. jig head that I make out of bismouth instead of lead.Anybody else make it out opening day?
Bubba

Cider

« Reply #2 on: Apr 01, 2004, 04:16 PM »
Is there enough open water around long island neck to get a boat in? or anywhere else on Winni?

Smelt1

• Born to fish,forced to work!
« Reply #3 on: Apr 02, 2004, 06:20 AM »
Theres enough room in wolfeboro to get a small boat in but usally with the circus up there your proberly not going to be able to troll. We usally will pull up to the edge of the ice and dangle a few smelt over the side.I did'nt make it up to long island bridge yesterday so I can't help you out there.I'm sure Alton bay also has fishable open water but the circus there is worse than wolfeboro and on top of that they charge you $15 to launch & park. Wolfeboro is free,and free is allways good to me.
Bubba

Cider

« Reply #4 on: Apr 02, 2004, 08:22 AM »
I'm sure Alton bay also has fishable open water but the circus there is worse than wolfeboro and on top of that they charge you $15 to launch & park. Wolfeboro is free,and free is allways good to me.

Isn't that a bunch of crud!!  I don't agree with paying to use public waters.  Seems counter-intuitive to me.  I agree, a free launch is the best launch.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.