FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Fish and game ramp open in alton bay  (Read 2378 times)

winnicookie

Fish and game ramp open in alton bay
« on: Apr 24, 2022, 07:42 AM »
Its finally happened!!!!

zwiggles

Re: Fish and game ramp open in alton bay
« Reply #1 on: Apr 24, 2022, 04:08 PM »
What do you think of the design? I wonder if it will work out better in the summer, but it looked like way less parking to me, and the ramps have an odd angle for launching….

I fully concur though, finally it’s open :)

bikrsrule

« Reply #2 on: Apr 24, 2022, 06:20 PM »
I launched there today and I really like it, I didnt count the trailer spots but I think there are as many if not more that before. They eliminated parking directly in front of where you pull up to back to launch

hardwatergrampa

« Reply #3 on: Apr 24, 2022, 08:03 PM »
any pictures

bikrsrule

« Reply #4 on: Apr 25, 2022, 05:13 AM »
any pictures
Sorry, no pictures, didnt feel the need.

Rainbow1

• Greenland Cove
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2022, 06:16 AM »
Yay!  I'm on my way there in a bit.

swnoel

« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2022, 06:43 AM »
Looks like a nice setup, but you had better be there real early in the morning or you'll be looking for another place to launch. Too bad they did put in a nice launch at Ellacoya instead. There'd be plenty of parking there.

zwiggles

« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2022, 07:33 AM »
Any bigger boat/truck combos are going to have a very hard time using the second ramp. Maybe it’s just because I was used to the old set up, but this one seems poorly designed for the most part. If they just tweaked the angle a little bit, and left the additional parking spots on either end it would be great.

cleverdonkey

« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2022, 07:55 AM »
Agreed, I struggled with my 19fter.  Very appreciate of the upgrades - it's a beautiful facility - but if you're going from the staging lane to the second ramp you have to tightly turn your truck ~120degrees and then back your trailer in at an angle.  First ramp is a bit easier.  It'll be a great ramp to watch beginners with funny colored license plates struggle.

swnoel

« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2022, 09:08 AM »
Any bigger boat/truck combos are going to have a very hard time using the second ramp. Maybe it’s just because I was used to the old set up, but this one seems poorly designed for the most part. If they just tweaked the angle a little bit, and left the additional parking spots on either end it would be great.

LOL... it's a state project. it's not supposed to make things easy. At least they tried ... maybe getting feed back from experienced boaters would have helped. I did notice that there wasn't much space between the vehicles to park. I guess that's the reason they didn't do anything at Ellacoya... it would have made more sense!

zwiggles

« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2022, 09:57 AM »
Agreed, I struggled with my 19fter.  Very appreciate of the upgrades - it's a beautiful facility - but if you're going from the staging lane to the second ramp you have to tightly turn your truck ~120degrees and then back your trailer in at an angle.  First ramp is a bit easier.  It'll be a great ramp to watch beginners with funny colored license plates struggle.

Same here. There was a giant 30’ trailer that was also cutting off the 120 degree angle you mentioned. The back end was sticking 7’ out if the back of the parking spot. Thankfully my buddy helped me drag the trailer in line, and we got out on the second ramp.

IMO the porta potts should by the end of the staging area, and there should be 5-6 spots where they currently are for oversized trailers, and also the fisherman who go mid summer. I know I had that ramp down to science for a 430am arrival, and 10am departure in July. Now I think it’s going to be even more of a gong show.

Jethro

• I fish, therefore I am... always buying gear
« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2022, 07:25 AM »
For the 2 times a year I fish the big lake, I happily pay to launch and park at Roberts Basin. Downings has always been a complete mess everytime I have gone there.

lowaccord66

« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2022, 10:40 AM »
Ah the old 430-10.  A good reminder that pleasure boating season is around the corner. 

dconice

« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2022, 12:44 AM »
Used the ramp for the first time on Friday - didn't have any trouble putting in (first ramp) or taking out (second ramp).  I can see backing out of parking spots and then swinging around again being a challenge when the lot is full.  There are 15 or 16 trailer parking spots, 4 car top spots, and a couple of handicapped spots.  There is one spot reserved for checking your boat before exiting - but on a quiet Friday, there was someone parked in there the whole time.   

I will say I saw more than a couple of vehicles parking in spots and heading to the nearby restaurants... hopefully that won't be a problem on busy weekends (yea right)

Snapped a quick pick from the doc - but it doesn't show the angles mentioned previously.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.