FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Question  (Read 4357 times)

Rugburn

• Camp Dog
Re: Question
« Reply #15 on: Jul 14, 2018, 07:46 AM »
That's the spirit I was looking for Roccus! I always consider the crew on my boat part of the team, working together for a common goal. Does it take strength and endurance to drag that one man ice shack 2 miles in the dark over an icy lake covered in a foot of slop and somehow land on top of fish, you bet. And yes Olympic Curling came to mind when I made the post.  :thumbup_smilie:

filetandrelease

« Reply #16 on: Jul 14, 2018, 08:54 AM »
Let’s not forget (equestrian) and archery 😲
 Fishing ?
 I say yes fishing is a team and individual sport 🎣

seamonkey84

« Reply #17 on: Jul 14, 2018, 09:46 AM »
I call it a sport. Considering there are indeed professional tournament fishers, tv shows, and entire industry and economics based around it. Its a sport that anyone can do, and get as invested in it as they want. It’s a sport that has so many variables that being knowledgeable and expensive equipment gives an edge, but a lot still comes down to luck.
"You know when they have a fishing show on TV? They catch the fish and then let it go. They don't want to eat the fish, they just want to make it late for something." - Mitch Hedberg

lowaccord66

« Reply #18 on: Jul 15, 2018, 05:54 PM »
Give me an athlete, any athlete and I will make them cry for a bed after chasing stripers. 

Fishermantim

• I go where the water takes me!
« Reply #19 on: Jul 16, 2018, 10:19 AM »
You're making an incorrect connection between a sport and athletes.
You can be an athlete that plays a sport, but you don't HAVE to be.

Anyone can play a sport, but there must be a defining description of what a "true" athlete is and how it pertains to the sport in question.

In the same guidelines as fishing you could also add bowling, darts, croquette, curling and beer pong.

A sport is called such because a defining body of people deemed it so, probably because it's an organized event.
That necessarily mean those that partake of that "sport" are now to be considered "athletes".

I guess the bottom line is anything can be called a sport and anybody can be called an athlete because we all want to get our proverbial "participation trophies" in life?
"God is playing to an audience that's afraid to laugh" (George Burns from "Oh, GOD")

"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy!" - The Existential Blues

FishingKid

« Reply #20 on: Jul 17, 2018, 07:57 PM »
I would consider it a sport you are excersing your arms and upper body muscles, right anyone else agree? :tipup: :azn:

lowaccord66

« Reply #21 on: Jul 18, 2018, 05:35 AM »
You're making an incorrect connection between a sport and athletes.
You can be an athlete that plays a sport, but you don't HAVE to be.

Anyone can play a sport, but there must be a defining description of what a "true" athlete is and how it pertains to the sport in question.

In the same guidelines as fishing you could also add bowling, darts, croquette, curling and beer pong.

A sport is called such because a defining body of people deemed it so, probably because it's an organized event.
That necessarily mean those that partake of that "sport" are now to be considered "athletes".

I guess the bottom line is anything can be called a sport and anybody can be called an athlete because we all want to get our proverbial "participation trophies" in life?

IGFA="defining body of people"

No point in being obstinate if you dont know what your talking about.   :P

slipperybob

« Reply #22 on: Jul 19, 2018, 03:22 AM »
Fish'n Religion  ;D
Slip bobber fishing and ice lounger.

Slipperybob's Wish to Fish and MN Dish...Journal

seamonkey84

« Reply #23 on: Jul 22, 2018, 11:09 PM »
Fish'n Religion  ;D

That sounds like a sort of organized religion I could get behind. Many holidays and church time I’m hoping.
"You know when they have a fishing show on TV? They catch the fish and then let it go. They don't want to eat the fish, they just want to make it late for something." - Mitch Hedberg

fishnmachine

• Life Member NAFC
     One more with the one we're after and we'll have two.
The brook trout is the prom queen of the trout world, and a promiscuous prom queen at that!

filetandrelease

« Reply #25 on: Aug 10, 2018, 06:59 AM »

lowaccord66

« Reply #26 on: Aug 11, 2018, 08:34 AM »

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.