FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: How about a "BubbleHeaded" forum?  (Read 10939 times)

reelcharacter

• They call it fishing, not catching, for a reason
Re: How about a "BubbleHeaded" forum?
« Reply #15 on: Mar 08, 2004, 10:27 AM »
Fellow Bubbleheads,

If we learn from our mistakes, it sounds like we must have an awfully smart bunch here in the "Bubbleheaded" group.   :)

On route to achieving my fishing PHD, (I am still a long, long way from getting there), I have managed the following:

Cast my pole and watched the tip section make a beautiful arc out into the water. Have usually gotten it back (yes, I have done this more than once).

Watched as my Coleman lantern slid from the rocks on shore into 4’ of water. No, it did not keep lit, otherwise I would have kept fishing. Yes, did retrieve it without going for a swim. Fortunately, I had forgotten my flashlight often enough in the past to have remembered it this trip. Oh, and the batteries even worked in the flashlight, since I have forgotten to check them often enough in the past.

Have forgotten my auger when ice fishing, paddles when canoeing, need I add more examples?

Clearly my most "bubbleheaded" day was spent covering the ice with some newly acquired ice fishing oriented Christmas presents from my new bride. Yes, she once even supported my fishing affliction. I covered a lot of ground looking for fish that I never did find on a cold blowing 10 degree day. Finally settled down with two holes over deep water inside my new little dome tent. Shortly realized how darn cold it was after a little while jigging at different depths. Tried to light the Coleman for a little heat and to peer down the hole, but to no avail. (This was a couple of years before the same lantern took up swimming lessons). Learned later about the cold/gelling effect on liquid white gas. Fished a while longer, bound and determined not to return home empty handed. The explosion in my tent finally sent me home packing and fishless. I had brought two cans of Coke-a-Cola that did not fare well at 10 degrees temperatures. If you ever had a soda can explode in your freezer, you know what I refer to. The shock of an explosion between your feet (at first I thought it was the Coleman) I will leave to your imagination.

Glad to be in good company as I continue on with my fishing PHD.

-Reelcharacter
Email me to swap information on fishing holes or to go fish'in sometime in the Syracuse Central NY area (Onondaga and Madison county water holes in particular).

BuckShotJon

• Retired MFF Mod
« Reply #16 on: Mar 08, 2004, 11:02 AM »
gotta admit those are great stories and glad I don't have any to add at this point  ;)

Jon
"When the people fear the ‘government,’ that is tyranny. When the government’ fears the people, that is liberty. - Thomas Jefferson

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #17 on: Mar 08, 2004, 06:08 PM »
Reelcharacter,
I'm well beyond the age of incidental blushing.

Jon, You're the king of personal disaster

I'm not buying it ::)

RG
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

BuckShotJon

• Retired MFF Mod
« Reply #18 on: Mar 08, 2004, 06:39 PM »
Bob,

Thats true, bad luck finds me.

You all have already heard bout my big fall pike fishing though. Still have the rod and reeel and thats what counts.  ;)

Jon
"When the people fear the ‘government,’ that is tyranny. When the government’ fears the people, that is liberty. - Thomas Jefferson

Sandman

• Loud pipes save lives
« Reply #19 on: Mar 08, 2004, 06:47 PM »
Rgfixit, so your the one my cop neighbor told me about. Yep makes more rounds than the police station.

I seem to fall into this catagory as well. Here's a couple.

Winching my boat onto the trailor at Seneca one winter I decided to let my truck run to gain heat. I took it out of gear and forgot the emergancy brake was on it's last legs. I got the boat out of the water and the weight pulled the truck down the ramp and into the water. I jumped in and water was already past the running boads. Hit the 4 wheel button, slammed it in 1st and drove out. Roy Japp, owner of the marina and a couple guys ran out. I camly said " this is the redneck way of cleaning salt from under a truck".   

How about when your 12 year old son catches around a 25 lb muskie on 2lb test  and when you hold it up to weigh it, the fish shakes, hits a seat and flips into the water. At least we got one picture.
Mobil Launch Team - 2 , 5th MAC SOG
de Opresso liber

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #20 on: Mar 08, 2004, 07:34 PM »
Sandman,
You're better off  than the 2 sunken vehicles i've encountered.

One was at the Pittsford launch to the Erie Canal. We were trolling for walleyes and when we returned to the launch there were several boats milling about as if they were waiting to pull out. We trolled a bit more and went back to find 2 fire trucks and a tow truck all hooked together attempting to pull a submergd Blazer with trailer attached from the canal. 

The rear tires of the trailer had dropped over the edge of the ramp and were caught. When they got it to let loose and pulled it out the trailer was destroyed and the truck had been  submerged to the roof top. 

The other was at I-Bay late one evening. I pulled up to the south end launch to find 4 guys standing on shore looking at the hood of a Buick. That's all that showed above the water.

Another good one I saw was a 25' Bayliner abruptly launched ON the ramp. They unhooked the safety chains on their bogey wheeled trailer and started to back down the ramp. It slid right of and landed about 6' from the water in the middle of the ramp.

RG
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

BuckShotJon

• Retired MFF Mod
« Reply #21 on: Mar 09, 2004, 07:26 AM »
I camly said " this is the redneck way of cleaning salt from under a truck".

That was great Sandman! LOL!  ;D  ;D

Jon   

thedude

« Reply #22 on: Mar 09, 2004, 10:09 AM »
me n a bud helped another guy save his boat once at JC Murphey Lake. His son forgot the plug and was holding the line at the dock while the dad parked the truck. Well, the kid wasn't paying attention and you could see the 10horse slowly going down in the water. By the time the dad showed up a few explicitives were shouted at the boat and they were trying to pull it up on the dock.

A 1436 wareagle is not a light boat to begin w/ but fill it with 100g of water, you got some serious weight.

They got it halfway up and water was now coming in over the transom. So they were trying to push down on the front to get it out of the water.
I run about 210 and my buddy is 240s, it took the three of us putting all our weight on the front to get it onto the dock. The guy was pretty appreciative though. :)

reelcharacter

« Reply #23 on: Mar 09, 2004, 11:33 AM »
I suppose that since we are all such "extraordinary" fishermen, we need these moments to keep us humble?!

(Funny thing about the word extraordinary, “extra” – beyond that which is needed and “ordinary” – of no special quality or interest, plain . . .   :)

-reelcharacter
Email me to swap information on fishing holes or to go fish'in sometime in the Syracuse Central NY area (Onondaga and Madison county water holes in particular).

genz_man

« Reply #24 on: Mar 10, 2004, 04:33 AM »
Someone needs to go get the original bubblehead and have him post his own stories about his mis-adventures. Anything he has to tell you tops anything you have read on this or any other site. Problem is that he would find a way to cover everyone with his hot chocolate bazooka thru the monitor and have you smirking and thinking to yourself " :'(hey I just got bubbleized :'("

suskymusky

« Reply #25 on: Mar 10, 2004, 06:44 AM »
A couple of years ago i was fishing for Channel cats.The fish were biting really slow, just nibbling on our baits.I was tending the fire ,when I got a few taps on my pole. My buddy said "Hey, you're getting a bite!" I said" Let him take it." Well he took it allright.My pole bent in half and flew out of the Y stick and rocketed into the river with me running after it.I lost a nice spinning combo,and I was done fishing for the night. My buddy almost wet his pants laughing at me.
"IMAGINATION is more important than KNOWLEDGE" Albert Einstein

reelcharacter

« Reply #26 on: Mar 11, 2004, 08:56 AM »
SM,

That is a "reel twist" on "the fish that got away", (pole and all . . .   :)

So where did the term "Bubblehead  and/or Bubbleheaded" originate. ???

-Reelcharacter

Bean

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #27 on: Mar 11, 2004, 01:45 PM »
SM,

So where did the term "Bubblehead  and/or Bubbleheaded" originate. ???

-Reelcharacter

Reelcharacter, You'll have to ask "Fat Boy" that. I think he was the one that termed the nickname for a fishing friend. It goes back to posts in IceShanty.
Ken A.

reelcharacter

« Reply #28 on: Mar 12, 2004, 11:08 PM »
Thanks Bean,

Hope the FatBoy drops by to fill us in. This topic has suddenly gotten awfully quiet. Must be we are the only ones who have "bubblehead moments"  ???

-Reelcharacter

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #29 on: Mar 13, 2004, 04:22 AM »
We're the only ones willing to admit it anyways.

I always figure I may as well laugh at myself right along with everyone else. ;D

RG

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.