FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Did you know......  (Read 7298 times)

mike692

Did you know......
« on: Mar 12, 2004, 08:31 AM »
That Pennsylvania is the only place where you can catch all 5 members of the pike family?

Just read it on the internet. I did not know that.

grumpymoe

Re: Did you know......
« Reply #1 on: Mar 12, 2004, 08:38 AM »
i didn't know there were 5 members in the family. pappa, mamma, sonny, missy, and ?????? grump ;D ;D ;D ;D

Cider

« Reply #2 on: Mar 12, 2004, 08:49 AM »
Ah, let's see....

Muskellunge, Northern Pike, Chain Pickerel, Grass Pickerel, Redfin Pickerel?

Tiger musky being a hybrid.

mike692

« Reply #3 on: Mar 12, 2004, 09:04 AM »
Amur pike.

mike692

« Reply #4 on: Mar 12, 2004, 10:02 AM »
This is a pretty interesting topic. On the PFC web site they say that the redfin and grass pickeral are practically the same species and if it wasn't for the difference in their ranges you wouldn't be able to tell them apart. I couldn't find any info on their site about the amur pike. Only that there was a season on them. I guess they are an Asian transplant that was introduced here.

mike692

« Reply #5 on: Mar 12, 2004, 10:29 AM »
Here's one of the few pics I could find.

Cider

« Reply #6 on: Mar 12, 2004, 10:32 AM »
Hey Mike, that is a cool fish!  It kind of looks like a pickerel that got together with a rainbow trout!

vancouvercanuck

« Reply #7 on: Mar 12, 2004, 10:48 AM »
Hey Mike, that is a cool fish!  It kind of looks like a pickerel that got together with a rainbow trout!

I think it looks more like a pike that got together with a Brown trout.
"Surveys show that minesweaping draws the most diligent and precise individuals of any profession with employees averaging only one mistake per career." - Author Unknown

shark

« Reply #8 on: Mar 12, 2004, 11:01 AM »
Either that or the taxidermist had a few to many pops when painting it. ;D

grumpymoe

« Reply #9 on: Mar 12, 2004, 11:08 AM »
looks like a pike that got too close to a leopard!!  ;D ;D  pretty cool markings for sure..grump 8) 8)

buckshot

« Reply #10 on: Mar 13, 2004, 07:08 AM »
Looks like a case of fish measles to me.
I  go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses tuned once more.

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #11 on: Mar 13, 2004, 07:35 AM »
Amur Pike,

By far the most unknown and inaccessible species of the pike family (Esocidae) is the Amur Pike. The amur pike resides in Asia; more specifically Siberia, Mongolia and some parts of China. Amurs have a light gray body dotted with darker spots-the opposite of what is found on a northern pike.

The true size of the amur is said to be smaller than that of northerns or muskie, but larger than chain pickerel. The maximum weight is supposed to be around 15 pounds, but they are rumored to grow as big as 30. Some Russian explorers have even reported seeing them in fish markets up to 60 pounds.

They inhabit the secluded, weedy areas in the backwaters of some of Asia's larger river drainages. Amurs strike the same lures as other pike, but usually downsized. One of the only known methods of fishing for them is dragging a spoon through the muck of a lake or river. The populations of this fish are said to be in decline due to over fishing and habitat loss.

Courtesy of US Angler.com
RG
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

sbfpa_Mike

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #12 on: Mar 13, 2004, 09:04 AM »
That is awesome information RG,  i'm glad you don't have a life :)  I bet after the weather gets better,  the post will slow down from you.  If you put the same effort into fishing that you do surfing,  you could go pro.

acsacmboy

« Reply #13 on: Mar 13, 2004, 11:55 AM »
Randy Mason
FLCC 09' Fisheries Technology major

mike692

« Reply #14 on: Mar 13, 2004, 12:15 PM »
Nice pics guys. Now has anyone seen anything related to when and where they were released in PA?

Did a search and this is the only thing I can find.....http://www.anglerworld.com/pike/T49.htm

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.