FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Sunday on the Bay of Quinte  (Read 2143 times)

Grimace

Sunday on the Bay of Quinte
« on: Oct 15, 2006, 07:37 PM »
Went fishing Sunday on the BOQ.

the big girls are starting to come in.     trolled deepdivers in Adolphus reach, reef runners , Tail dancers , bombers. 

I ended up getting this fish on a little manual downrigger 30 feet dowm with a williams spoon.   

27 inches.    7 pounds 8 ounces.    released.

Nice weather.   pretty windy out there.  and kinda chilly.

kappy

Re: Sunday on the Bay of Quinte
« Reply #1 on: Oct 18, 2006, 05:11 AM »
Nice fish   Great color   Bow is  very nice also  rainbow that is.. I am going to get up there one day myself,, Nice that you let her go,, I would have kept her,,
love them eyes   good job..

walleye1

« Reply #2 on: Oct 18, 2006, 06:19 AM »
Nice fish dude! You gotta love the Quinte eyes.

pizalm

• drop the hammer
« Reply #3 on: Oct 24, 2006, 10:54 AM »
it's so dark, looks like it's burnt. I guess most eyes are dark compared to manitobas greenbacks. Beauty fish though.

walleyechaser

• Ghetto Fab
« Reply #4 on: Oct 24, 2006, 11:39 AM »
when are the famed 10 plus pounders supposed to move in? 

The color on that fish is awesome.
care for a warm up?

Official authority on the Kraken

The "Habitual Offender" of the MIRC - I need a clear glass plate

mr.walleye9481

« Reply #5 on: Oct 24, 2006, 08:31 PM »
nice eye
may your lines be tight and nets heavy

i can always cancel class to go hit the stream instead

Grimace

« Reply #6 on: Oct 25, 2006, 07:03 PM »
The big ones are in.  but they where 60 -70 feet down at the time.  in 90- 120 feet of water.

i didnt targetr them with the downrigger, because i think it is unethical to bring a walleye up from those depths.   

Imagine landind a 15 pound walleye and having to kill it because its bladder is sticking out is throat.

the odd fish that week-end where around 30 feet.  and from the guys i talked to on shore all where comparable in size.

apparently last week-end the fish where being marked around 40 - 50 feet down.    another week or 2 and the fish will be at 30 feet. 

timing looks good for november.    and of course there are still fish moving in as well.

walleyechaser

• Ghetto Fab
« Reply #7 on: Oct 26, 2006, 09:14 AM »
Good plan.  I was pulling walleyes out of 35ft deep last weekend and even they were getting the benz if you brought them up to quick.  Folks think they're doing the "right thing" releasing walleyes or big perch from deeper water when in fact you're releasing a fish that will soon die :-\ 

Yeah theres no sense in releasing fish that will die.  Might as well keep them and put em to good use in the frying pan.

Although I couldn't imagine eating walleye that big.  They would taste like crap.
care for a warm up?

walleyechaser

• Ghetto Fab
« Reply #8 on: Oct 26, 2006, 10:19 AM »
I kept a 29"er last year only because it inhaled my jig and was going to die anyway.  It wasn't too bad.  I trimmed the lateral line and belly meat off.  Not as good as your typical eater though.

I usually won't keep eyes over 5 lbs.  Just my personal thing.  My buddy caught a 9lber from sag bay a couple years ago and it tasted like dog dump I ended up throwing the filet he gave me in the trash.  I cook all of them the same way.  so I dunno.  I'd rather see reproduction with the bigger ones so they go back.

Unless I get my 12lb plus fish then its going on the wall.
care for a warm up?

Grimace

« Reply #9 on: Oct 26, 2006, 08:37 PM »
It is weird with the bends.   

some poeple say pull em up slow.  i have tried this and am still sceptical.

and a study was done here in ontario, and they say pull em up fast.  walleye have been known to chase bait fish 50 feet in a couple of second when on the feed.   they say when walleye go up fast there body excretes an oil into itself that absorbs the air bubbles in the flesh and air bladder. ( absorbs might not be the correct word)

it sound like it might make sense, but until i know for sure, i'm not gonna try it.

what i am thinking  is when they hunt and chase they get adreniline or the fish equivilent, ( like when a pike gets red fins on the hunt from bllod pressure) and that in turn causes them to excrete the oil, or does the rapid pressure change make them excrete the oil ...   again i dont know.

anyone heard of this oil thing.   i only heard it a couple months back.   I never say never, but i am not to quick to believe something just because i like the sound of it.

Cheers guys.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.