FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Dispy Divers  (Read 6449 times)

packman252008

• Beware of the man who fishes alone!!
Dispy Divers
« on: Mar 23, 2011, 03:22 PM »
Hey guys im looking for some real information on how to properly use dispy divers, i picked up the smallest ones for using on smaller waters any info on how to use this would be great.
In search of the fish that I havent caught and the times spent with good company... HOOKED UP

Sluggo / NY

Re: Dispy Divers
« Reply #1 on: Mar 23, 2011, 04:37 PM »
Packman.. If I'm not mistaken, the smallest ones don't have a latching device.. they just tie direct and use the resistance of the fish to make them plane and retrieve easily. To use them.. just tie your leader and lure to the back .. then your main line to the front clip.. and feed out slowly under tension. Don't freespool them out or they'll spin and not work properly. Also.. make your leader short enough so you can still net the fish. I learned that the hard way.... Good Fishing, Sluggo (Chris)

Rebelfisher

• Hook'em and Cook'em!!
« Reply #2 on: Mar 23, 2011, 05:18 PM »
the smallest ones do not have the latching device nor O-rings....but you can set direction adjustments...for some larger ones...

http://www.luhrjensen.com/downloads/tech-reports/12DipsyDiver.pdf
    A Country Boy can Survive!

TheDL

« Reply #3 on: Jul 11, 2011, 03:14 PM »
If I tie a crank bait behind a dipsy diver, will it dive to it's specified depth from the depth that the dipsy's running at?
i.e.
dipsy is at 50' down
tie an X-rap to the back that's rated to troll at 15' down

will my lure be at 50' or 65' ?  I would assume 65', but I've never used a dispy or downrigger so I'm a little lost  ???
tight lines....

Sluggo / NY

« Reply #4 on: Jul 12, 2011, 09:47 AM »
DL... A diving crank will definitely detract from a dipsy's depth. The harder the pull on the rear of the dipsy.. the less it will dive. I run them a lot, but strictly pull harnesses, stickbaits or spoons behind them. Good Fishing, Sluggo (Chris)

TheDL

« Reply #5 on: Jul 12, 2011, 10:04 AM »
hmm, makes sense.  I don't know if I'll be able to use this dipsy right away anyway - I'm kind of all over the map with the advice I'm getting and unfortuntely I have 20lb big game mono reeled up - which apparently is no good for dipsys  ???  I heard this morning that due to the stretch in mono, it can be difficult to pop open the release on the dispy to retrieve it - you ever experience that?  Is a 4" dipsy impossible to get in if the release doesn't trip?  I'm going with the guide of being able to pop open the release on the dipsy while it's still boat side with a hook set motion, is that about the right tension on the release screw?
Don't really have time to re-spool before the trip - it's defiantely a learning experience, might just flatline this time out  :-\
what are you guys using on your dipsy reels? Wire? Braid?
tight lines....

Sluggo / NY

« Reply #6 on: Jul 13, 2011, 06:36 AM »
DL.. You can get away with mono, but it does make tripping tricky. I run 30# Powerpro braid on my dipsy rods. I know a lot of guys run wire, but I don't see enough advantage to make up for the hassles involved with it. To trip the diver I never use a hook set motion.. you'll break lines or rod tips. I just aim the rod right at the dipsy.. thumb the spool tight.. and jerk straight back. This takes the rod flex out of the picture. I also set the dipsy tension on the light side and work up if I need to. As for diving cranks.. I rarely run them, but to gain depth I use snap weights or in-line weights. I think it was already mentioned, but a copy of Precision Trolling's Big Water edition is a great tool for new and experienced trollers! Good Fishing, Sluggo (Chris)

adam2000

• theres beer down here we cant forget
« Reply #7 on: Jul 13, 2011, 07:53 AM »
Dl if you gonna use dipsys for salmon use wire. Can't stress it enough

TheDL

« Reply #8 on: Jul 13, 2011, 09:48 AM »
To trip the diver I never use a hook set motion.. you'll break lines or rod tips. I just aim the rod right at the dipsy.. thumb the spool tight.. and jerk straight back. This takes the rod flex out of the picture.
just want to be clear on your technique here...when you say "jerk striaght back...takes the rod flex out of the picture"  do you mean line up your rod, pointing straight at the dispy and jerk the rod in line with that 'direction' kind of like walking backwards with the rod pointing at the dispy still?  This is similar to what I do when I snag bottom with my spinning rig.  Seems like it might break the line though?  am I really in danger of breaking a rod tip with a an 8'6 MH downrigger rod, with a 4" small dipsy?  That seems pretty crazy?
I will definately need to swap out line, don't think I'll be using the dispy tommorow, but I might just chuck in the water to see how it sits/swims and get a feel for the rigging. 
tight lines....

TheDL

« Reply #9 on: Jul 13, 2011, 10:08 AM »
Dl if you gonna use dipsys for salmon use wire. Can't stress it enough
any recommendations for wire line?  I've never looked at buying it before, is it rated in # test like other lines?  knots to use?
tight lines....

Sluggo / NY

« Reply #10 on: Jul 13, 2011, 08:50 PM »
when you say "jerk striaght back...takes the rod flex out of the picture"  do you mean line up your rod, pointing straight at the dispy and jerk the rod in line with that 'direction' kind of like walking backwards with the rod pointing at the dispy still?  This is similar to what I do when I snag bottom with my spinning rig.  Seems like it might break the line though? 
DL.. That's pretty much what I do. I just tighten it up.. put the rod beside me and give it about a 1 or 2 foot yank. I've never broken a line doing this.

TheDL

« Reply #11 on: Jul 13, 2011, 10:32 PM »
well thanks for the tips guys, the local tackle shop was quite dissapointing today - not much salmon gear, but hopefully I'll have some trout/walleye pics to post after the weekend, picked up a lot of popular spoons
tight lines....

wellsley

« Reply #12 on: Nov 06, 2011, 07:45 AM »
All the dipsy divers I have do have a trip. They also have a screw adjustment that needs to be adjusted.(I won't buy them if the don't)  I learned the hard way that if your not adjusted properly and you go to trip the dipsy the line will break. I now use spiderwire 30lb test. First thing I do is to pull on the trip until I think it feels right. Then attach it to the line set it behind the boat about 10 to 15 feet so I can see it and get the boat to the speed I will be trolling then gently try to trip it. Adjust it to where I want it to trip, now let it out 100 to 135 feet depending on how deep I want to be and repeat the process until it trips when I expect it to. The deeper you go and the faster you go  the more pressure it puts on the trip and the line and rod. You don't want it to trip on it's own yet you want the fish to trip it or you want to be able to trip it easily yourself. Once that is done I then put a snubber and a flourocarbon leader and very good coastlock swivel. (I like sampo) Trolling puts alot of pressure on components so I like to use good hardware. I use dipsy's for walleye, lakers, and landlocks. If you guys are after walleyes your favorite crawler harnass behind a 2" black dipsy set back 100' will put fish in the boat. Dipsy's don't work everywhere but it's another great tool to put more fish in the box ;D
LIFE MEMBER OF NORTH AMERICA FISHING CLUB

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.