FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: My boat won't get up on plane.  (Read 5166 times)

Coldfeet

• MFF Mod Team
Re: My boat won't get up on plane.
« Reply #15 on: Apr 29, 2006, 09:15 PM »
Raising the transom only will kill the motor You are running the shortest shaft made doing this will only make for some real cavitation problems and might starve the motor for water for the cooling purpose. The only reason you would raise the transome hight is if you were trying to run a long shaft on a short shaft transom. Now for the real problem, Take the boat loaded with you in it to a scale. Say a gravel pit, junk yard whatever, get it weighed and later take the trailer back and weigh it. Now you have total boat weight. Call up the Rocky Bottom Prop shop on the Niagra River with the numbers and HP of the motor. They will translate this to a prop with the proper pitch. Tell them what you are useing the boat for and what waters you will use it on. You can also call a dealer but he might not have what you need as a stock item.  All in all you have a prop with not enough pitch no bite to the water and will not get the boat up on plane no mater what you leave home or forget to take along. Now remember adding more pitch will take away speed you will be moveing a lot more water and loading the engine more also look into the boat itself is their any unnessesary weight that can be taken off it. If so get rid of some of it.
ColdFeet
Did you put the plug in the boat?

Dr. IceGeek

« Reply #16 on: Apr 30, 2006, 07:26 AM »
Spinelli Bros. (props) - 716-467-0544

billybono

Billy,
  I found this on the internet...evidently they sold it???  It was from some powerboating online magazine...anyways

01.04.02-SPINELLI SAYS GOODBYE: After nearly three decades of grinding out some of the best custom propellers in the business, Spinelli Bros. Inc. was expected to close its doors in December.

The company's owners are retiring and plan to shut down the business unless they can find a suitable buyer.

Spinelli built about 500 props a year, each prop costing an average of $850. The Rochester, N.Y.,-based company was open just seven months a year. Spinelli had developed a loyal following, which co-founder Mike Spinelli attributed to the company's customer service.

"It took a lot of blood, sweat and tears," said Mike, who founded the business with his brother, Carl. "We took care of our customers to make sure they weren't left out to dry."

Mike said he has had several offers for the business but is looking for the right buyer who will treat the customers well and carry on the legacy. If he sells the business, great. If not, that's fine too.

The Spinellis founded the shop because they couldn't anyone to fix their propellers. Eventually, they started making propellers for their friends and from there, the business steadily grew.

"The Lord has smiled upon me," Mike said. "My customers have been good to me."

jrelaxin

« Reply #17 on: Apr 30, 2006, 07:52 AM »
Don't call merc if you want a straight answer........I had a new 6HP had oil leaking out the inside prop housing. Took it in to get fixed cause it was under warranty,dealer said just breaking it in so I called Merc told me it was just the cold water mixture happens all the time...after warranty ran out took it in to be winterized...dealer said "whats is all this oil" told him just breakin it in you and merc told me...the mounting housing for the lower seal was torqued on so tight tha to be cut off...300 bucks later called merc said whats the deal they told me sorry "we would never tell a customer that".............amazing what  you hear after the warranty run out......... >:(
Donut a day and I'm ready to play
 Dave

olbluuu

• Go Big
« Reply #18 on: Apr 30, 2006, 08:45 AM »
Don't call merc if you want a straight answer........I had a new 6HP had oil leaking out the inside prop housing. Took it in to get fixed cause it was under warranty,dealer said just breaking it in so I called Merc told me it was just the cold water mixture happens all the time...after warranty ran out took it in to be winterized...dealer said "whats is all this oil" told him just breakin it in you and merc told me...the mounting housing for the lower seal was torqued on so tight tha to be cut off...300 bucks later called merc said whats the deal they told me sorry "we would never tell a customer that".............amazing what  you hear after the warranty run out......... >:(
my 8 hp evinrude does the same thing looks like that anyway oil spewing out the behind in the wash always wondered ,never had a problem with motor , runs like a top but the oil spewing out concerns me have no idea where it comes from because motor is a 2strokei guess i'll keep running it its a 2000' motor!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.