FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: 1st adventure trolling.  (Read 3571 times)

jigchaser08

1st adventure trolling.
« on: Apr 12, 2012, 12:12 PM »
So i took off on the maiden trolling voyage on the boat with JRA. It was a great morning yesterday. Ended up with only two rainbows, 0 salmon. But i got to play with the downriggers and trolling speeds...Probably didnt help that i was out there without a depth finder...d**n Lowrance HDS better get here soon!!!

One of the bows was caught 8ft down on a rigger,on a orange/copper DB smelt,  (chamberlain release worked flawlessly and even a 12" rainbow set it off--i had to keep him because it was the first one ever while trolling)

Second Bow was caught with 3 colors out on leadcore on a copper thomas spoon...bigger fish than the first at 17".

(3rd rainbow is from another pond but i took a pic of all three last minute because i forgot to take them before)

needless to say, i could have caught more closer to home from shore most likely, but I am very pleased with two fish, for my first time out trolling without a good fishfinder or gps to navigate with.

-Henry

waterwolf603

Re: 1st adventure trolling.
« Reply #1 on: Apr 12, 2012, 12:20 PM »
Right on brotha way to get em, I will be chasing tail and fin  ;D alllll day tomorow!
lakes, lies, and marble eyes

jigchaser08

« Reply #2 on: Apr 12, 2012, 12:21 PM »
thanks bro! hopefully it rains a little, then it should be game on for sunday...i plan on spending the afternoon on the river still. You are still welcome to come, i just cant guarantee anything. But i know we will be in the right area for sure  ;D

waterwolf603

« Reply #3 on: Apr 12, 2012, 12:24 PM »
look forward to it brotha, I will just give my ol' lady the rain gear and we should be good to go.

MikeF-NH

« Reply #4 on: Apr 12, 2012, 12:26 PM »
try trolling in more of an "S" pattern. That will slow down your inside rods and speed up your outside rods. Make note of which way you were turning when a rod pops...if the inside rod, the fish want it slower, if the outside, they want it faster. If you got into bows, you were doing the right thing for salmon...just weren't into them. When you get your HDS, try to keep speeds from 1.8 to 2.4 when dragging hardware and within 10 feet of the surface and you will catch salmon.

jigchaser08

« Reply #5 on: Apr 12, 2012, 12:32 PM »
try trolling in more of an "S" pattern. That will slow down your inside rods and speed up your outside rods. Make note of which way you were turning when a rod pops...if the inside rod, the fish want it slower, if the outside, they want it faster. If you got into bows, you were doing the right thing for salmon...just weren't into them. When you get your HDS, try to keep speeds from 1.8 to 2.4 when dragging hardware and within 10 feet of the surface and you will catch salmon.

Thank you for the help Mike. All the input i can get is greatly appreciated. we had a handhelp GPS and i varied the speed in the range you stated above. From the 2 people that were out besides me, i had high hook (it made me not feel as bad for only boating two)  I look forward to getting the HDS, it will make it easier to keep everything coordinated...Next time out (sunday morning) i will try the S pattern! and let you know how i do. once i get the hang of it (and i know the weather will be good), i will have to make a trip to Winni , the salmon density is greater than the local pond im at.

AquaAssassin

« Reply #6 on: Apr 12, 2012, 12:51 PM »
Nice job bro! Erik meant raingear for his man friend, or life partner if you will ;D
It’s not being Cocky if you can back it up.

When you’re good at something, you’ll tell everyone. When you’re great at something, they’ll tell you.

jigchaser08

« Reply #7 on: Apr 12, 2012, 12:53 PM »
hahahhah...well we are going to be within eye sight of vermont Sunday afternoon...Ill see if they can get that official ! :laugh:

waterwolf603

« Reply #8 on: Apr 12, 2012, 12:56 PM »
Nice job bro! Erik meant raingear for his man friend, or life partner if you will ;D

Franky, you sure you wanna let the cat out of the bag about US, its ok with me as long as everyone understands that you are the girl!  ;)

AquaAssassin

« Reply #9 on: Apr 12, 2012, 12:56 PM »
LOL.......... :rotflol: :clapping: :bowdown:

When you’re good at something, you’ll tell everyone. When you’re great at something, they’ll tell you.

jigchaser08

« Reply #10 on: Apr 12, 2012, 12:58 PM »
brings on a whole new meaning to trolling. :flex:  Looks like we are turning topics into a chat room again..this time its rated x :D

AquaAssassin

« Reply #11 on: Apr 12, 2012, 01:05 PM »
LOL, Henry why don't you move over here to the coast, I could use you in my arsenal..............

jigchaser08

« Reply #12 on: Apr 12, 2012, 01:09 PM »
LOL, Henry why don't you move over here to the coast, I could use you in my arsenal..............

I wish i could...I love the ocean ( i worked on a fishing boat in rhode island for 8 months and lived on the ocean)  but its really tough to leave 40 acres surrounded by 8mi by 6mi of woods (my back yard)..but its only an hour and a half away if you ever need back up ;D

AquaAssassin

« Reply #13 on: Apr 12, 2012, 01:11 PM »
Yeah, I aint gonna lie, if I had to choose woods over salt the woods would win everytime, monster bucks are coming from the beach lately though, I am a swamp hunter for sure............

jigchaser08

« Reply #14 on: Apr 12, 2012, 01:15 PM »
Its a toss up, i travel to the ocean to fish as much as possible..but know i would spend more time traveling to the woods to hunt...if you ever want to come up this way and take a stab at hunting let me know dude....i plan on coming East  to hunt a swamp or two  this fall..i  just picked up 250 acres to hunt over in the Dover area.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.