FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: New lead core, what brand?  (Read 3161 times)

seamonkey84

Re: New lead core, what brand?
« Reply #15 on: May 14, 2019, 10:48 AM »
How about spooling the old line on in reverse? How often do you put even half of a whole spool out?
"You know when they have a fishing show on TV? They catch the fish and then let it go. They don't want to eat the fish, they just want to make it late for something." - Mitch Hedberg

gamefisher

« Reply #16 on: May 14, 2019, 10:56 AM »
How about spooling the old line on in reverse? How often do you put even half of a whole spool out?

Great idea if not so lazy., ;D  Leadcore outproducing riggers in a big way thus far, never know from year to year. 8)

Mac Attack

« Reply #17 on: May 14, 2019, 10:59 AM »

Huh?
Always.
Backer, main line, then amount of colors of leadcore for that rod, and finally leader.
You always let out the entire leadcore.

JDK

« Reply #18 on: May 14, 2019, 11:24 AM »
No you don't always let all of it out.

# SAND

stguy

« Reply #19 on: May 14, 2019, 11:42 AM »
Huh?
Always.
Backer, main line, then amount of colors of leadcore for that rod, and finally leader.

Most folks around here will have a couple rigs set up with as much lead core that will fit on them with some backing and just let out what they need depending on the day, not many have the setups like you guys with different amounts of lead core.

Turning the line end for end makes sense for most guys up here.

I've heard of charter guys out your way running 6 or more lines on big planers with different amounts of lead core on each side of the boat.

Jethro

• I fish, therefore I am... always buying gear
« Reply #20 on: May 14, 2019, 12:07 PM »
Huh?
Always.

What? I fish 1 to 2 colors all the time. I have 20 colors on one rod.

fishlessman

« Reply #21 on: May 14, 2019, 03:06 PM »
im still using the old kerplunk.  most all my setups are three colors, seems to work well with the jigging boards, the jiggers  on the downriggers needs that three colors of weight to function properly as well.  i fish the three color lead core off the downriggers with fly rods alot.  deeper with a flat line and i go with copper, shallower than three colors and i go with the old cortland fly trolling line. theres 18 rod holders just on MY side of the boat. i reeled up a 6 pound smallie on about 12 colors a few years ago, darn near died, never doing that again, would poke my eyes out first

woodchip1

« Reply #22 on: May 14, 2019, 03:08 PM »

« Reply #15 on: Today at 10:48 AM »

How about spooling the old line on in reverse?     How often do you put even half of a whole spool out?  ( Who wants to Troll backwards!!!)

seamonkey84

« Reply #23 on: May 14, 2019, 03:11 PM »
With my sinking fly line I let it all out and then some backing, but with lead core (10 colors on my spool) I’ve only ever let out 5-6 at the most, usually 2-4. Granted, I use a 9’ 7/8 way fly rod and reel, so it takes a lot to reel in that much line, and a lot of strain on the rod when I have them out the side of the boat.
"You know when they have a fishing show on TV? They catch the fish and then let it go. They don't want to eat the fish, they just want to make it late for something." - Mitch Hedberg

Mac Attack

« Reply #24 on: May 14, 2019, 05:48 PM »
What? I fish 1 to 2 colors all the time. I have 20 colors on one rod.

If you only fish 2 colors, why do you have 20 on the reel Geoff?
Put on a backer, then maybe braid or a good mono, followed by the leadcore and finish off with flouro for a leader.
Set up various rods with various counts.
That’s what we do on the GL for trout salmon and walleye.
I have 2 four color rods and 2 six color.
Thinking of doing 2 with two color for the riggers and running spoons shallow in the spring for browns.
This way you aren’t running all that lead on one rod.  Also, we run lead off planer boards and clipping leadcore damages it.  Clip the braid or mono.

Jethro

• I fish, therefore I am... always buying gear
« Reply #25 on: May 15, 2019, 12:51 PM »
If you only fish 2 colors, why do you have 20 on the reel Geoff?
Put on a backer, then maybe braid or a good mono, followed by the leadcore and finish off with flouro for a leader.
Set up various rods with various counts.
That’s what we do on the GL for trout salmon and walleye.
I have 2 four color rods and 2 six color.
Thinking of doing 2 with two color for the riggers and running spoons shallow in the spring for browns.
This way you aren’t running all that lead on one rod.  Also, we run lead off planer boards and clipping leadcore damages it.  Clip the braid or mono.

I had 20 colors on one rod from the days before I had downriggers. I will likely never fish more than 6 colors deep again, but sometimes they are at 15 feet sometimes they are at 50. But I like your system and will probably do something similar in the future. I also fish planer boards especially in the spring and using mono just tipped with leadcore and leader is a great way to do it. Even with my 7 foot mast it can be tough getting lead all the way out to my boards with the line drooping down to the water.

woodchip1

« Reply #26 on: May 15, 2019, 08:09 PM »
Our lakes are a lot Shallower in Maine .I very seldom let out more the 6 colors. going slower for laketrout only need a few colors out in spring . My line gets shorter every time I catch bottom so after a few years only have 5 to 6 colors left . have found fine braided with a sliding sinker at a slower speed works as good as lead.

Mac Attack

« Reply #27 on: May 16, 2019, 08:24 AM »
..... have found fine braided with a sliding sinker at a slower speed works as good as lead.

Doesn’t have the same action.
Not the same undulation.

jrelaxin

« Reply #28 on: May 16, 2019, 08:32 AM »
  Sure glad we are not catching pike with leadcore on this thread or we would all be treading.
Donut a day and I'm ready to play
 Dave

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.