FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Sooo... quick picture before release?  (Read 2487 times)

taxid

Sooo... quick picture before release?
« on: May 13, 2019, 12:05 PM »
As I've posted before I'll be in Maine for vacation this year and had a quick question for the locals. As I can see in the regs one needs to release a fish ASAP if it is destined for release and I don't have a problem with that. In fact it's darn good idea IMHO coming from someone that raises fish and knows how easy it is to stress them.

My question is if I try to quickly snap a picture of a fish destined for release can I be dinged for that if a Warden is watching? 
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

seamonkey84

Re: Sooo... quick picture before release?
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2019, 12:20 PM »
No, as long as your not putting it on a stringer or into a livewell/bucket you’re good. Only time that is an issue is special regulation waters when ice fishing for trout and salmon, can’t even pull them out of the water.
"You know when they have a fishing show on TV? They catch the fish and then let it go. They don't want to eat the fish, they just want to make it late for something." - Mitch Hedberg

saltyshores

« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2019, 01:29 PM »
In the winter, probably many of us watch some fishing shows on TV. Typically, they show the angler playing the fish, then finally someone nets it, and holds the fish up for a picture, sometimes with the fish flipping for several seconds, just when the fish needs to be back in the water breathing much-needed oxygen. This would be similar to one of us running in a race, then, just as we finished and wanted to catch our breath, someone held our head under water for much longer than necessary.

Releases need to be quick.

zwiggles

« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2019, 03:18 PM »
In the winter, probably many of us watch some fishing shows on TV. Typically, they show the angler playing the fish, then finally someone nets it, and holds the fish up for a picture, sometimes with the fish flipping for several seconds, just when the fish needs to be back in the water breathing much-needed oxygen. This would be similar to one of us running in a race, then, just as we finished and wanted to catch our breath, someone held our head under water for much longer than necessary.

Try holding your breath when you take the picture. If your running out of breath, well....

taxid

« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2019, 03:51 PM »

Oh I get that. I've even seen fish expire up to three days after a release even when everything is done right and quickly. Just wanted to know what I might run into.

I've been told your wardens go give warnings. I like that!
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

JDK

« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2019, 09:09 AM »
If you don't want to be seen as a tourist, you need to net it with the old style mesh net.  Then you dump it on the floor of the boat.  Look for your camera.  Grab the fish by the gills and snap a picture.  Make sure you hold it vertically for the picture.  But while doing that you have to yell so everyone in hearing distance sees you and hold it up for them.  Then you immediately post it on FaceBook where you will receive 57 likes and 63 thumbs down saying that you killed that fish (those are the elitists, pay no attention).  After that, you let the fish go.

If it is a big fish, stick a stringer in its mouth, go to shore, call your family over, then follow the steps above.

8)

# SAND

Jethro

• I fish, therefore I am... always buying gear
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2019, 09:39 AM »
If you don't want to be seen as a tourist, you need to net it with the old style mesh net.  Then you dump it on the floor of the boat.  Look for your camera.  Grab the fish by the gills and snap a picture.  Make sure you hold it vertically for the picture.  But while doing that you have to yell so everyone in hearing distance sees you and hold it up for them.  Then you immediately post it on FaceBook where you will receive 57 likes and 63 thumbs down saying that you killed that fish (those are the elitists, pay no attention).  After that, you let the fish go.

If it is a big fish, stick a stringer in its mouth, go to shore, call your family over, then follow the steps above.

8)

Come on now, all you need to be considered not a tourist is a liter of Allens Coffee Brandy and a half gallon of milk. Everything else is secondary.

JDK

« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2019, 10:19 AM »
Come on now, all you need to be considered not a tourist is a liter of Allens Coffee Brandy and a half gallon of milk. Everything else is secondary.

A liter?    Waaaayyyyyy too much milk and too little brandy. :tipup: 
# SAND

SHaRPS

• Honor Respect Loyalty
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2019, 11:26 AM »
LMAO.
Wicked Wec

taxid

« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2019, 12:22 PM »

8)

woodchip1

« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2019, 03:11 PM »
Especially if your from Mass!!!!!!!!!

seamonkey84

« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2019, 03:15 PM »
 :rotflol: :rotflol: :rotflol:
"You know when they have a fishing show on TV? They catch the fish and then let it go. They don't want to eat the fish, they just want to make it late for something." - Mitch Hedberg

lowaccord66

« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2019, 04:16 PM »

8)

All you need to know is Maine wardens did famously hate out of staters and perhaps still do.  I'm too ascared to get stopped on 95 on my way home!  (Tongue in cheek but what the warden service was caught doing).  :)

At least in Mass you Mainers would be left alone while most of the EPO's are doing split shift overtime at a public swimming pool!

taxid

« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2019, 09:30 PM »
Especially if your from Mass!!!!!!!!!

I did live there as kid but don't tell anyone!

I believe you refer to them as Massholes?  :rotflol: :rotflol: :rotflol:

seamonkey84

« Reply #14 on: May 14, 2019, 10:38 PM »
I did live there as kid but don't tell anyone!

I believe you refer to them as Massholes?  :rotflol: :rotflol: :rotflol:
BINGO (was his name OH! Sorry, kids songs in my head)

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.