FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: 11 lb Brookie  (Read 6975 times)

robbfishing

Re: 11 lb Brookie
« Reply #30 on: May 21, 2019, 06:19 PM »
You would be wrong woodchip.
the state has not stocked them as far back as 2010 .... Maybe one snuck in the Brook trout truck

woodchip1

« Reply #31 on: May 21, 2019, 06:44 PM »
Very nice fish !! I wonder where the hook managed to hold on a fish that size would have a very hard tough mouth. usually a fish as tough as that manages to shake out the hook or break it off...

gamefisher

« Reply #32 on: May 21, 2019, 07:15 PM »
the state has not stocked them as far back as 2010 .... Maybe one snuck in the Brook trout truck

It was somewhere around that timeframe, they claim stocked splake can live up to 20 years.   

MGK

« Reply #33 on: May 21, 2019, 07:18 PM »
Wow. Splake record broken twice in 2019! Good stuff. Personally I vote laker though  ::)
It is better to be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt

woodchip1

« Reply #34 on: May 21, 2019, 07:45 PM »
Those northern lakes have some big Splake My Grandson landed an 8 lb one 5 years ago.

lowaccord66

« Reply #35 on: May 21, 2019, 07:46 PM »
Wow. Splake record broken twice in 2019! Good stuff. Personally I vote laker though  ::)

Dark brown trout!

taxid

« Reply #36 on: May 21, 2019, 09:33 PM »
My phone is better than my computer ,regardless both those fish are awesome

I see the difference loud and clear! Thanks!
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

taxid

« Reply #37 on: May 21, 2019, 09:34 PM »
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

filetandrelease

« Reply #38 on: May 22, 2019, 05:44 AM »

Tunker

« Reply #39 on: May 22, 2019, 08:06 AM »
If the location is accurate I believe it was last stocked in 2000.  A while back I read an interesting report on Splake in Maine that outlined all ponds that have been stocked as well as addressed some of the issues of fish at hatcheries "jumping tanks" that created a mixed population at the point of stocking, as well as unwanted movement from out migration of stocked locations.  From a biology perspective the most interesting part is that Splake are a fertile F1 hybrid.  Breeding has has not been documented in the wild (to my knowledge) but suspicions are there.  They are also able to backcross to their parental strains though again there is no documentation of that in the wild.  From a genetics standpoint it would take 10 generations of breeding to one of the parental strains for it to be considered 99.99% that strain but given the timelines here that is unlikely. 

Regardless my guess would be it's a Taimen, a result of viable eggs hitching a ride here on the legs a Stellar Sea Eagle shot by someone who though it was a woodduck  :laugh: . Seems the only likely scenario. 

If it does hold up to be a Splake (and since this is the internet we'll need sequencing data to be convinced ) it's a hell of a fish and a great catch - congrats to her!

gamefisher

« Reply #40 on: May 22, 2019, 08:16 AM »
If the location is accurate I believe it was last stocked in 2000.  A while back I read an interesting report on Splake in Maine that outlined all ponds that have been stocked as well as addressed some of the issues of fish at hatcheries "jumping tanks" that created a mixed population at the point of stocking, as well as unwanted movement from out migration of stocked locations.  From a biology perspective the most interesting part is that Splake are a fertile F1 hybrid.  Breeding has has not been documented in the wild (to my knowledge) but suspicions are there.  They are also able to backcross to their parental strains though again there is no documentation of that in the wild.  From a genetics standpoint it would take 10 generations of breeding to one of the parental strains for it to be considered 99.99% that strain but given the timelines here that is unlikely. 

Regardless my guess would be it's a Taimen, a result of viable eggs hitching a ride here on the legs a Stellar Sea Eagle shot by someone who though it was a woodduck  :laugh: . Seems the only likely scenario. 

If it does hold up to be a Splake (and since this is the internet we'll need sequencing data to be convinced ) it's a hell of a fish and a great catch - congrats to her!

I was really thinking like 2007, 2008, 2009 Pete, but only from memory, you probably have better data.  I do know splake have been caught in Ripogenus just like browns have been caught in Tunk.  Nature has its own ideas sometime as well as these "reports" only being so precise. 

Tunker

« Reply #41 on: May 22, 2019, 08:57 AM »
It may have been those years Eric as I think the report I saw was from 2006.  Given the size of that fish it's not unreasonable to think it may have been from 2000 but like you said these fish move around regardless of what's on paper.  They have been documented throughout Caribou, Chesuncook and Ripogenus as you noted, so in reality it could have been migrant. I'm just glad you didn't catch it  ;) .

It was an old report but even at that time it was disturbing to see where they were turning up (Pierce, the Rapid, Munsungan, etc...).  Made all the worse by the fact that given their appearance they are often mistaken for either of the parental strains and most likely there are numerous catches that have gone undocumented. 

You'll have to join me on Tunk one of these days,-I know all the best pickerel spots and the snakehead fishing is really picking up! 

PIKE FISHERMAN

• Precision Angling on Youtube. Maine based fishing.
« Reply #42 on: May 22, 2019, 10:15 AM »
Heck of a fish!! Congrats to her on the new state record
Precision Angling on Youtube. Maine based bass, pike, fly fishing, brook fishing, trolling and ice fishing. Hope to see you on the water somewhere!!

JDK

« Reply #43 on: May 23, 2019, 05:48 AM »
Thank god the State called it a splake.  TU and others would have had the poor girl strung up on a cross for killing it if not.

# SAND

hunts2long

• Sacandaga
« Reply #44 on: May 23, 2019, 06:34 AM »
Yes, congrats to the young lady. A great fish.
A friend of mine caught the NYS record BT a couple years ago and the things people said about him, his fish, where it was caught, etc, were unbelievable. RIP Beau....h2l

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.