FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Post card from lake Erie day 3  (Read 3762 times)

stguy

Post card from lake Erie day 3
« on: May 20, 2019, 11:27 AM »
A group of friends and some folks from the Sebago lake Anglers Association but together a trip to port Clinton ohio to fish for walleye with captain hook charters.

We left at 4:00 AM sunday and drove about 14 hours

Went out this morning in some fairly blustery conditions and had our limit of 42 fish before 10:00.

Stay tuned for some up dates over the next couple days

We had to work a little harder for them today  but we still got our 42 fish limit and this guy is coming home to Gray Maine to hang in my living room.

They are phenomenal  eating, first time I've ever had it, everyone should try it.

They do use pretty light gear for them, today we got into some sheep heads and they fight like mad, the light gear made it a blast.

Today was a very rare day for lake Erie I guess, she laid down like glass and not a breath of wind for several hours, at one point I started counting the boats we could see and stopped somewhere around 200, almost all of them were charter boats.

One more day of fishing

Day 3 was just the opposite of day 2, steady 20 mph winds, some heavy rain and 3-4 foot rollers with a heavy chop on top but the walleye bite was still on, got our limit again and we all ended up with 30 or so pounds of filletts to bring home.

All in all it was a great trip and planning another for next year, but we will fly out next time.

Even though the fishing was great, it was neat to experience the culture of a small fishing community like Port Clinton, everything revolves around walleye fishing and the people go out of their way to welcome you and get you to come back and I have to say I've gone on fishing trips in Maine that have cost me more money.

iceman260

Re: Post card from lake Erie
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2019, 06:03 AM »
Wow nice haul.

MG39

• No Matter Where You Go, There You Are!
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2019, 06:13 PM »
That's some good eating, just a notch above crappie. That must have been good action with an ultra light rod.

Too bad you had to drive that long to get them.  I suppose here they would classify them as "trash" fish but those that eat the perch and crappie labeled trash fish, would disagree.  ;D
Man To Man Is So Unjust,
No Man Knows, Which Man To Trust,
I Have trusted Many, To My Sorrow,
Pay Cash Today, And I Will Trust Tomorrow.
Maybe!
               "Semper Fi"

Jim C.

• Up the creek...and loving it!
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2019, 06:20 PM »
Nice, Glen! 8)

Brings back memories of fishing for them in WNY.  Good times. Great shore lunch.

fish wayniac

« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2019, 06:59 PM »
Glen, Looks like a great trip. Always fun to fish for different species than in Maine.

filetandrelease

« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2019, 07:02 PM »

Nice catch  👍

Jim C.

• Up the creek...and loving it!
Re: Post card from lake Erie day 2
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2019, 09:39 AM »
Those "sheep of the deep" are a brawl on light spin or fly gear ;D

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com