FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Chicopee River  (Read 1935 times)

bogtrotter

Chicopee River
« on: Jul 05, 2020, 07:44 PM »
Today, I returned to my natal village to fish the Chicopee River from a little before noon to about 4:30 PM.

It was sunny,  blue skies and hot (85 degrees), but thankfully not too humid.  Stream levels were fairly low (easy to wade), but not terribly so.

I started below the dam that's about a quarter mile or so upstream from the Davitt Bridge.

As I headed down the bank to the river, I saw a great blue heron flying upstream, followed a little while later by an osprey.

I had the place nearly to myself (toward the end, I saw two other fishermen just below the dam on the Granby Road side) and fished the stretch from the dam down to a football field or so above the bridge.  I fished there pretty hard for about 3 hours, but only did so-so.

I caught a bunch of large sunfish, assorted sizes (5" to 10") of dace, four dink (7" to 9") smallmouth bass and only one respectable-sized (12") one.

I also discovered a tree with berries that looked like ripe black raspberries, but were sweeter and had a stem. 

Someone has suggested that they were mullberries - - Does that sound plausible?  Are they ripe around now?

Anyway, I eventually drove down and walked down to a railroad trestle about 1/2 mile below the Davitt Bridge, and fished another hour.

I only caught a large sunfish on my wade downstream (to the tip of a grassy green island near the confluence of a smaller stream), but did a little better on my way back.

Standing in chest deep water, I cast toward an overhanging log on the right (as you face downstream) shore and hooked a feisty 15" smallmouth bass with rippling biceps (just checking to see if you've read this far) that proceeded to fight like a brown trout (i.e., dig for the bottom).

The bass swam downstream and initially away from shore, before turning back to the shore again.

I had to "run in slow motion" through the chest deep water to keep the line from snapping, and eventually managed to reel him in and release him while standing in the shallows.

I had one last night crawler segment that I cast in the same general vicinity where I had hooked the smallmouth, and caught a good sized sunfish, then headed back to my car and homeward bound.

taxid

Re: Chicopee River
« Reply #1 on: Jul 05, 2020, 07:53 PM »
Thanks for sharing. Any trout in there?
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

bogtrotter

« Reply #2 on: Jul 05, 2020, 09:08 PM »
Not today, but the last time I fished that stretch with my younger son (about a month) ago, I caught a good-sized rainbow.

I had heard of folks catching trout further upstream, but that was the first time I'd ever heard of/seen anyone catch a trout on the Chicopee that far downstream (almost to where it flows into the Connecticut River).

zwiggles

« Reply #3 on: Jul 05, 2020, 09:56 PM »
Biceps are an underrated muscle found in hard fighting fish. I enjoyed the report as always!

scooper47

« Reply #4 on: Jul 06, 2020, 07:07 AM »
I'm sorry; who had the rippling biceps?

lowaccord66

« Reply #5 on: Jul 06, 2020, 12:19 PM »
Sounds like mulberries to me.  Strong small mouth eh?

Steve H.

« Reply #6 on: Jul 08, 2020, 02:43 PM »
Just curious, do you mostly fish worms/crawlers?  You always seem to get an impressive mixed bag.  Again, just curious.
It is understood that fishing licenses, gas, bait, etc., all cost money, but try not to let a limit of trout be your only gauge for success. – Ben Nugent, (NH F&G) Regional Fisheries Biologist

icefisher47

« Reply #7 on: Jul 08, 2020, 03:28 PM »
Sounds like it was a great day on the water. I especially liked the rippling biceps.
Take a kid fishing

bogtrotter

« Reply #8 on: Jul 08, 2020, 05:01 PM »
Just curious, do you mostly fish worms/crawlers?  You always seem to get an impressive mixed bag.  Again, just curious.

Yes, I fish with night crawler segments (I can usually get three to a crawler) almost exclusively.

lowaccord66

« Reply #9 on: Jul 08, 2020, 09:29 PM »
Yes, I fish with night crawler segments (I can usually get three to a crawler) almost exclusively.

Crawler segment vs. A pair of flies Saturday.  Looking forward to it.

Steve H.

« Reply #10 on: Jul 10, 2020, 08:41 AM »
Crawler segment vs. A pair of flies Saturday.  Looking forward to it.

That will indeed be interesting.  Good luck.  Let me know how your "contest" pans out.  (San Juan worm?)
It is understood that fishing licenses, gas, bait, etc., all cost money, but try not to let a limit of trout be your only gauge for success. – Ben Nugent, (NH F&G) Regional Fisheries Biologist

Steve H.

« Reply #11 on: Jul 10, 2020, 08:42 AM »
Actually, a tan "mop fly" would probably imitate a crawler segment quite well. 

lowaccord66

« Reply #12 on: Jul 10, 2020, 08:43 AM »
That will indeed be interesting.  Good luck.  Let me know how your "contest" pans out.  (San Juan worm?)

I hate the San Juan and squirmy worms.  They catch but are not my best flies.  the mop fly is very effective.

I just fired off an email to Jim.  The rivers are going to blow out tomorrow.  Flood watch in effect.  Will need to reschedule.

bogtrotter

« Reply #13 on: Jul 10, 2020, 10:04 AM »
I just fired off an email to Jim.  The rivers are going to blow out tomorrow.  Flood watch in effect.  Will need to reschedule.

Agreed.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.