FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Minn Kota Ultera Help  (Read 9113 times)

Mac Attack

Minn Kota Ultera Help
« on: May 29, 2020, 07:15 PM »
Hey Jethro - didn't you install one of these?

Anyway, I'm looking for the distance indicated in my attached pic.
With the head lowered all the way.

I'm looking at the 72" unit but if you only have a 60" and can offer that measurement thanks.
I'm really asking about the Ultera but if you have a Terova and can offer that measurement please do.

Lastly, anyone out there with an Ultera - I have heard horror stories about the auto deploy and auto store.
We all have.
But I really have not heard much in the past 2-3 years.
I'm wondering if they fixed the issues and it's now reliable.
Anyone have any experience here???

I'm wanting to add one of these to my 21' Trophy WA cuddy.
I first want to make sure the 72" will be long enough and not keep popping out of the water in 1-2' seas.
2nd, I really want the Ultera with the auto deploy and store feature.
I'm not getting any younger and would rather not go forward to deploy it.
But if the thing still isn't reliable I will go with the Terova and suffer going forward.

Thanks for any and all info you guys can offer.

Mac

Jethro

• I fish, therefore I am... always buying gear
Re: Minn Kota Ultera Help
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2020, 08:35 AM »
Yes, stand by....

Mac Attack

« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2020, 09:35 AM »
Yes, stand by....

I'm standing by.
(can I sit?)

:laugh:

jeffmac85

« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2020, 11:43 AM »
Patiently waiting... lol

Jethro

« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2020, 02:18 PM »
So sorry, I got carried away. With my 60" there is 47" of shaft below the deck mount. 13 above. And that doesn't include the locking collar at the bottom for the lift belt on my Ulterra. 47" of just the shaft alone.

So far the Ulterra has been flawless, although I'm a little unhappy about the network cable routing... why isn't it in the main cable so I don't have to keep an eye on it? And I bought the Link version with the big, smart phone like touch display remote- it needs to be charged every 4 or 5 hours of use. Shame because I can get about 16 to 20 hours of use on my deep cycles. Can charge on board of course but it's hard remembering until it's too late. For the motor itself, so far do good but I have the same concerns you do, Mac.

Mac Attack

« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2020, 02:22 PM »
Geoff

I really need your opinion on the reliability of the auto deploy and stow.

Talk to me buddy.

Jethro

« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2020, 02:29 PM »
Geoff

I really need your opinion on the reliability of the auto deploy and stow.

Talk to me buddy.

There a lot going on with it man! It hasn't had one issue for me yet, but holy moley there are shock absorbers and screw motors and the lift belt motor and wow a whole lot of computer interface.. I'm going on week 6 I'd say with it and it's really been perfect but like everything, they are all good until they aren't! So far I can tell you its amazing to be able to deploy from the helm and it would take a really bad experience to get me to go to a Terrova instead. It would need to be a serious failure that cost me a lot of money to get me to go with anything else.

Jethro

« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2020, 02:57 PM »
I did have one issue when I first installed it that was a really easy call to Minn Kota. It made a clicking noise when I trimmed the motor up and down. I thought it was the tension of the lift belt, which is a maintenance issue outlined in the manual, but adjusting that tension did not solve the issue. A quick call to Minn Kota and I was told it was the lift belt motor itself. See, in the collar of the trim motor on the shaft (the part that is obviously different from a Terrova, just above the base) there is a small motor and a small but rugged, toothed belt under the cover that turns the gear to trim the motor. That motor can be moved to adjust tension of that small belt, and that is what was clicking. It was an easy fix and the guy at Minn Kota explained it great.

If you've ever had to work on these Minn Kota motors, even an older one, you know that they are kinda like Lego toys. You can see the entire diagram online and buy each part from Minn Kota (if they have it I guess...) And they are kind of modular. Yes, the lift motor assembly might be crazy expensive, but replacing it is kinda as easy as changing batteries in your garage door remote. The belt system is pretty complex, I don't look forward to replacing that thing but hopefully that is a long ways out.

One thing of special note. I don't know if its good or bad, the whole stow deploy action is pretty aggressive. Man that has some power. I don't know how it can stand the test of time with it slamming around like that. It's not terrible and it seems rugged enough but check one out on a boat if you ever can because wow, it cranks. Don't get in the way of it, that's for sure. Knock you clean out.

The Ulterra is 2 motors more complex than the Terrova. In the trim housing on the shaft, and on the side of the base that turns a big stainless steel screw for the deploy action. I don't think there is a motor for whatever locks it in stow, but maybe. That is the part I don't understand whereas the Terrova has a lever you pull by hand to unlatch the motor. It's possible the locking of the Ulterra is only a function of the screw motor.

Any question Mac, let me know. I'm still in the honeymoon phase but fishing all the time.

Mac Attack

« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2020, 09:56 AM »
Wow
Thanks for all the info.
I do have a question
With all the extra “stuff” on the Ultera, do you think a 72” Terova extends deeper into the water than a 72” Ultera?

Jethro

« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2020, 06:23 PM »
I would think so Mac. You see how my Ulterra in the pic above comes within inches of the trim motor housing? I'd be upset if I bought a Terrova and it left a full 13" of the shaft unused.

I am sure if you called Minn Kota they would tell you, I would hope so anyway. Maybe a Terrova owner can chime in.

Mac Attack

« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2020, 06:43 PM »
There’s an 87” saltwater Ultera
It’s mega bucks and way longer than I need.

My 21’ Trophy will need every inch I can get to reach and stay in the water.
Hence, my questions.

The local Cabela’s has a Minn Kota display.  My plan was to go there with a tape measure and do a little comparing.  But they closed way back from the pandemic.
I’m hoping they open soon.

Ideally, I prefer the Ultera because of the auto deploy feature.  But if the 72” Terova is longer than the 72” Ultera I might be best served to go with the Terova.

Thanks very much for your help Geoff.

Anyone else out there with anything to add?

Jethro

« Reply #11 on: Jun 01, 2020, 12:11 PM »
I can't see an 87" Ulterra on the Minn Kota site, but maybe they haven't updated the website yet. What is the cost of it? I will say that even with my 60" I have had the prop cavitating a bit on some real snotty days. I almost wish I went with the 72". I think if you are questioning the length, longer is a better bet than shorter. As far as the money, they are all mega bucks, but the 87" Terrova is only $350 more than the 72". The money is what made me decide on the Ulterra, it was only a $400 difference between the Terrova and Ulterra, peanuts in the grand scheme. My setup cost me about $4,200 between motor, batteries, wiring, plugs, switches, fuse and the on board charger. Oh!! And don't forget the friggin' extention cord! You need a 12ga extention cord from the outlet for some d**n reason. Nice extension cord but wow they are not cheap. Got a 10ga Monster Cable that was about $140. It's just a wicked expensive deal overall so why worry about saving a few hundred when you are spending thousands. That's my thought anyway.

Jethro

ronco

The secret to fishing......is fish where the fish are

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.