FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Center Pin Reel  (Read 3287 times)

Smells Like Fish NH

Center Pin Reel
« on: Sep 03, 2010, 02:02 PM »
Guys,
Can anyone tell me the benefit of using a center pin reel on a noodle rod as opposed to using a spinning reel? A Center pin also seems to look just like a fly reel, so whats the difference? Anyone who has some good information or can point me towards a tuturial that would be great.

Thanks!
-Scott
If anyone is interested in being in a FB group about NH fishing with few limitations and no Richard Craniums...send me a PM... 3000+members strong and growing! Search "New Hampshire Fishing" and ask to join

CHASEnFINS

• catch me if you can!!
Re: Center Pin Reel
« Reply #1 on: Sep 03, 2010, 02:56 PM »
Guys,
Can anyone tell me the benefit of using a center pin reel on a noodle rod as opposed to using a spinning reel? A Center pin also seems to look just like a fly reel, so whats the difference? Anyone who has some good information or can point me towards a tuturial that would be great.

Thanks!
-Scott
Scott i would say the benefit of using a center pin vs . spinning reel would be the ease of being able to have a more natural drag free drift, without  having to open / close your bail through the entire drift/ hook set. A pin runs on a couple ball bearings...there is no drag unlike a fly reel there for your  pin just free spools with the current speed... its the cats meow if your going to be doing alot of float fishing.

Simplecarppieguy

• Established in 1969, Fisherman by 1975..
« Reply #2 on: Sep 03, 2010, 07:49 PM »
That sums it up right there.  ;D
16 kings, 100 dropped!! Its not all about how many you get to the bank, its about the fun and friendship!

esox v

« Reply #3 on: Sep 03, 2010, 08:00 PM »
I don't know...i can slip a float in the current pretty natural with a west coast rod and a Calcutta. I think I'm jumping in this year with the center pin to see what the skinny is all about.   
"There is no crueler tyranny than that which is perpetrated
under the shield of law and in the name of justice."
--Charles de Montesquieu (1689-1755)
For tyranny to work some idiots are required…

The most dangerous thing any nation faces..  is a citizenry capable of trusting a liar to lead them....

gottum

• ANY RIVER ANY TIME
« Reply #4 on: Sep 03, 2010, 08:06 PM »
a drag free drift is certainly the big advantage of the pin over a spin reel-
but I personally love the fight - it's much more challenging  on a pin w/ out the aid of a drag;)

steelie1975

« Reply #5 on: Sep 03, 2010, 08:17 PM »
esos i do the samething with a 15 rainshadow with eyes twisted and a calcutta dc te. does the same job. Also i fish the niagara alot and a drag is a plus
Steelieslayer

esox v

« Reply #6 on: Sep 03, 2010, 08:29 PM »
esos i do the samething with a 15 rainshadow with eyes twisted and a calcutta dc te. does the same job. Also i fish the niagara alot and a drag is a plus
I should get my pin soon...It will be interesting to compare the two this winter.... if I can find the time ...and knock the rust off. It's been a while.
"There is no crueler tyranny than that which is perpetrated
under the shield of law and in the name of justice."
--Charles de Montesquieu (1689-1755)
For tyranny to work some idiots are required…

The most dangerous thing any nation faces..  is a citizenry capable of trusting a liar to lead them....

fishgalore

« Reply #7 on: Sep 03, 2010, 09:20 PM »
Guys,

Thanks!
-Scott

Here's an article that might pique your interest. They sure are becoming popular though. http://www.in-fisherman.com/content/stepping-back-steelhead-time

Smells Like Fish NH

« Reply #8 on: Sep 04, 2010, 06:33 AM »
Thanks everyone, I am gonna pick one up and give it a try!

-Scott
If anyone is interested in being in a FB group about NH fishing with few limitations and no Richard Craniums...send me a PM... 3000+members strong and growing! Search "New Hampshire Fishing" and ask to join

Simplecarppieguy

• Established in 1969, Fisherman by 1975..
« Reply #9 on: Sep 04, 2010, 08:00 PM »
Have fun casting it!! There is a curve..  :laugh:
16 kings, 100 dropped!! Its not all about how many you get to the bank, its about the fun and friendship!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.