FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: 09 SALMON RIVER - SALMON AND STEELHEAD BS Thread  (Read 418888 times)

trapper2000

• live the dream...........wear it!!!
Re: 09 SALMON RIVER - SALMON AND STEELHEAD BS Thread
« Reply #780 on: Jul 24, 2009, 02:34 PM »
It was interesting to see the seasonal differance in fishing techniques this past season.
During the coldest months bottom bouncing stoneflies and the such seemed to be more effective than bottom bouncing or floating eggs/egg patterns.
Anglers seemed to have better success Fall and Spring floating eggs/egg patterns. Just my personal observation.
I have fished the river only long enough to see the weight restriction in the fly zone. I fish all areas of the river except the "private" area. I guess if I had to look at all the restrictions postively I would say it is a challenge moving around and adjusting tackle and methods in order to be in compliance from zone to zone.
Interesting debate!
Again I am fairly new to the river having only fished it for about five years.

you seen right  fall also is a great time for trout beads   sacs   and  glo bugs  later i fish alot  of nymphs mainly  stone flys in  different colors   funny not i get  alot more browns on yellow  stone flys  then  steelies   also  pheasant tail nymphs  as spring rolls around  fish become aggressive  and wolly buggers are good  and once your fishing fall back  ripping a streamer threw holes is fun ya  can see steelies chase it!!!!

another  classic  fly that do  very well with all year is a muddler minnow  , don't see anyone  else using it!!!!
you can destroy buildings  you can't  destroy the  american spirit

KingPerch

« Reply #781 on: Jul 24, 2009, 02:56 PM »
now  esox i ask you honestly "I have no problem with single hook fishing. Lifting, lining, what ever you want to call it. Keep the ones you hook in the mouth release the ones you don't. I just draw the line at weighted treble hooks!! I don't believe that should ever come back. If that lumps me in with the politically correct crowd than so be.
I agree with every thing you say with the exception of me being a liberal of course."

if you  honestly  believe this statement  then what possiable  differance  does it  make weather i  lift the fish  or  some guy from PA uses a snag hook????????  it's the same thing!!!! which goes back to everything i said why pretent !!!! the  fish  don't hit other then once in awhile out of aggression.  make the money  everyone have  fun  send the  salmon home  with the people keep the money  then we steelhead fish!!!!!!!

Hey Trap, Do you use a magnet when you steelhead fish? if so, what weight do you use? LOL ;D
“I’ve never met a Perch I didn’t like!! 😎

Time spent fishing is not deducted from one’s life span

KingPerch

« Reply #782 on: Jul 24, 2009, 02:57 PM »
Go yanks! :flex: :flag:
:w00t: :clapping:HOW BOUT THEM YANKEES!!!!!!

KingPerch

« Reply #783 on: Jul 24, 2009, 02:58 PM »
  YOUR NOT SORRY KP!  ;D
HONESTLY............................................................................... NO!!!!! ;D

salmonrebel

• "YOU HAVE TO KILL IT!...TO GRILL IT!"
« Reply #784 on: Jul 24, 2009, 03:40 PM »
Oh, thats beautiful. Wish I coulda seen it.... ;D
Sounds like the set-up I have. I bring the heavy gear for the idiots, not the fish. Lord knows you can't really get the full potential out of 65LB braid on a fish, when the hook gap can't exceed 1/2". I think most kings jawbones are thicker. However, it's plenty for everything else on the river ;)
Anchorman
It was a lot of fun! :rotflol:
Especially, when your fishin' with a bunch of friends, that know my 'Rebel Charm'. ;D
  Our 2nd Amendment isn't a priviledge!, IT'S A RIGHT!,... That, "SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED!".... "WHACK 'EM! AN' STACK 'EM!"

KingPerch

« Reply #785 on: Jul 24, 2009, 03:42 PM »
It was a lot of fun! :rotflol:
Especially, when your fishin' with a bunch of friends, that know my 'Rebel Charm'. ;D
HEY SR where you been hiding? Tried to look you up on the fishing hole site and your not on when I log on. Look forward to talking to you guys over there. Take care.

esox v

« Reply #786 on: Jul 24, 2009, 06:17 PM »
now  esox i ask you honestly "I have no problem with single hook fishing. Lifting, lining, what ever you want to call it. Keep the ones you hook in the mouth release the ones you don't. I just draw the line at weighted treble hooks!! I don't believe that should ever come back. If that lumps me in with the politically correct crowd than so be.
I agree with every thing you say with the exception of me being a liberal of course."

if you  honestly  believe this statement  then what possiable  differance  does it  make weather i  lift the fish  or  some guy from PA uses a snag hook????????  it's the same thing!!!! which goes back to everything i said why pretent !!!! the  fish  don't hit other then once in awhile out of aggression.  make the money  everyone have  fun  send the  salmon home  with the people keep the money  then we steelhead fish!!!!!!!

I don't feel blind snagging is fishing... I my opinion.... There is no sport in it. I think angling should require some skill. I think it sets a bad example as a sportsmen. Some how because its a king Salmon and has a 4 year life cycle some how that warrents it being ripped out with treble hooks. I think that it's flat out a disrespectfull. Snagging is not an excepted form of fishing anywhere else in the country.  I know you have no problem with it but I think most sportsmen would disagree.     
"There is no crueler tyranny than that which is perpetrated
under the shield of law and in the name of justice."
--Charles de Montesquieu (1689-1755)
For tyranny to work some idiots are required…

The most dangerous thing any nation faces..  is a citizenry capable of trusting a liar to lead them....

trapper2000

« Reply #787 on: Jul 24, 2009, 07:00 PM »
wait  aminute now esox you said lifting was ok but not snagging it's the same  thing !  weather you snag it or lift it the  fish didn't hit!!!! you rammed a hook in it!  either way it's snagging!
 disrespect is  snagging and actually  believing yourself or convincing others the  fish hit!  we all know  they didn't!!!!  either way it's snagging buddy
 the only differance is if  made right out legal  the  tickets wouldn't be getting handed out  and  people would return to the river! i know i'm going to have a 100 jump on me  but out of 40 years river fishing i have only had a handful of kings  hit!!! coho's yep had them hit kings  not many i'm saying why pertent  and  try to act like selfrightous  sportsmen  weather someone uses a snag hook or i lift one with a size 10 glo bug  it's the same thing  SNAGGING!!!!!!!!!!! and  just because a fish is hooked in the mouth doesn't mean it's  fair hooked i can lift all day  and hook everyfish in the mouth  and everyone of them is snagged!!!! i just  don't bs about it

trapper2000

« Reply #788 on: Jul 24, 2009, 07:03 PM »
p s wonder if my membership in trout unlimited  just got revolked ????? oh well  the flyfishing section  should get  more tickets then anywhere in the river anyways :laugh:

esox v

« Reply #789 on: Jul 24, 2009, 10:14 PM »
wait  aminute now esox you said lifting was ok but not snagging it's the same  thing !  weather you snag it or lift it the  fish didn't hit!!!! you rammed a hook in it!  either way it's snagging!
 disrespect is  snagging and actually  believing yourself or convincing others the  fish hit!  we all know  they didn't!!!!  either way it's snagging buddy
 the only differance is if  made right out legal  the  tickets wouldn't be getting handed out  and  people would return to the river! i know i'm going to have a 100 jump on me  but out of 40 years river fishing i have only had a handful of kings  hit!!! coho's yep had them hit kings  not many i'm saying why pertent  and  try to act like selfrightous  sportsmen  weather someone uses a snag hook or i lift one with a size 10 glo bug  it's the same thing  SNAGGING!!!!!!!!!!! and  just because a fish is hooked in the mouth doesn't mean it's  fair hooked i can lift all day  and hook everyfish in the mouth  and everyone of them is snagged!!!! i just  don't bs about it

Trap, Do you know how many fish I have hooked in the mouth and how many fishing my fishing buddies have legally caught in the mouth. Am I a super hero ???? No !! are you a super hero???? What makes us any different than everyone else. In the mouth means in the mouth. If you are SKILLFULL enough to drift your leader into a fishes mouth the take the d**n thing home.  To me that's fishing. Split hairs all you want about the bite no bite thing.
   I'll take it a step further why wait till they're in the river then. If they're podded up in the lake outside the river and don't bite. WHY NOT JUST TROLL TREBLE HOOKS AT 10 or 15 MPH.  Why bother trying to figure out what lure... or color.... or speed... or drop back... they wont bite.
    On the river there are also many variables. Leader length, bait type because some float higher or lower, color, weight reading the d**n current to drift your bait down where it needs to be. That's fishing.... and  that's what makes it sporting. It's the same as if the fish did bite.... it's the same process!!!! You want to level the playing Field so it doesn't matter wether your a veteran angler or Joe schmo off the street if you can blindly cast your treble hook out and rip it in your going to have your limit on the bank. It takes no skill and it's not fishing.
  To me the fun is in the learning. the fun is going 3 times and catching one fish, then figuring it all out and hooking up like mad. In the end you have a sense of accomplishment! You learned . THATS FISHING !!!!!  If it's about meat and a party ...SELL FISH AT TH BAR.
  I don't mind sharing the river with anyone who wants to fish or learn to fish for that matter.

The most dangerous thing any nation faces..  is a citizenry capable of trusting a liar to lead them....

Stuck-on-Seven

« Reply #790 on: Jul 24, 2009, 10:59 PM »

Trap, Do you know how many fish I have hooked in the mouth and how many fishing my fishing buddies have legally caught in the mouth. Am I a super hero ???? No !! are you a super hero???? What makes us any different than everyone else. In the mouth means in the mouth. If you are SKILLFULL enough to drift your leader into a fishes mouth the take the d**n thing home.  To me that's fishing. Split hairs all you want about the bite no bite thing.
   I'll take it a step further why wait till they're in the river then. If they're podded up in the lake outside the river and don't bite. WHY NOT JUST TROLL TREBLE HOOKS AT 10 or 15 MPH.  Why bother trying to figure out what lure... or color.... or speed... or drop back... they wont bite.
    On the river there are also many variables. Leader length, bait type because some float higher or lower, color, weight reading the d**n current to drift your bait down where it needs to be. That's fishing.... and  that's what makes it sporting. It's the same as if the fish did bite.... it's the same process!!!! You want to level the playing Field so it doesn't matter wether your a veteran angler or Joe schmo off the street if you can blindly cast your treble hook out and rip it in your going to have your limit on the bank. It takes no skill and it's not fishing.
  To me the fun is in the learning. the fun is going 3 times and catching one fish, then figuring it all out and hooking up like mad. In the end you have a sense of accomplishment! You learned . THATS FISHING !!!!!  If it's about meat and a party ...SELL FISH AT TH BAR.
  I don't mind sharing the river with anyone who wants to fish or learn to fish for that matter.
Wait so it sounds to me that you are admitting that you are a lifter am i right? ???

SNAGGER

• FISHING THE SALMON RIVER SINCE 1978
« Reply #791 on: Jul 24, 2009, 11:00 PM »

Not trying to be a wise guy, but if you anchor your boat at night off the River mouth and throw out egg sac's with floaters in them or a styrafoam marshmellow with an egg sinker, you can have a blast lifting fish out there two, usually too busy, but I've done it! I'm not the only guy out there either! GOOD FUN, MAN THEY FIGHT HARD OUT THERE!
R.I.P Uncle Johnny
        ALWAYS BE YOURSELF ,  BECAUSE THE PEOPLE THAT MATTER , DON'T MIND , AND THE ONES THAT DO , DON'T MATTER!

bobber down

• king jiggler
« Reply #792 on: Jul 25, 2009, 01:12 AM »
i dont understand u (esox) see every fish u catch (LIFT) in the mouth, if not i guess your blind snagging also????????
IF I AINT HUNTING OR FISHING I AM THINKING ABOUT IT.                                                                                                                                                                                       !!!!!DIE HARD STEELER FAN!!!!!

esox v

« Reply #793 on: Jul 25, 2009, 08:26 AM »
Not trying to be a wise guy, but if you anchor your boat at night off the River mouth and throw out egg sac's with floaters in them or a styrafoam marshmellow with an egg sinker, you can have a blast lifting fish out there two, usually too busy, but I've done it! I'm not the only guy out there either! GOOD FUN, MAN THEY FIGHT HARD OUT THERE!

I know Snag but what about the days they don't bite ?

esox v

« Reply #794 on: Jul 25, 2009, 08:45 AM »
i dont understand u (esox) see every fish u catch (LIFT) in the mouth, if not i guess your blind snagging also????????
No, I drift exactly the same way for salmon as I do for steelhead. Is everyone who drift fishes for steelhead blind snagging? Some times a fish will get hooked somewhere else buy accident.
 Are we now in the process of tearing down the drift fisherman to Somehow elevate the blind snagger. Help them along in Feeling better about what they're doing !!!  
In all honesty with lighter fishing equipment the chances of me landing a salmon hooked anywhere but in the mouth is slim. TAIL HOOKED SALMON ON 10# LINE !!!! GOOD LUCK

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.