FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: 09 SALMON RIVER - SALMON AND STEELHEAD BS Thread  (Read 418895 times)

SNAGGER

• FISHING THE SALMON RIVER SINCE 1978
Re: 09 SALMON RIVER - SALMON AND STEELHEAD BS Thread
« Reply #1125 on: Aug 20, 2009, 10:14 PM »
SNAGGER WE ARE GOING TO LOOK NEXT WEEK SO BE RREADY NO EXCUSES!!!! ;D
Hey Markus, I walked down to the LB and theres room for me and you and 20 more of us Clowns from the roller up to where I always fish! Just got to put some big line on to turn them around before they fall over the ledge! Danbo's comin this week!
R.I.P Uncle Johnny
        ALWAYS BE YOURSELF ,  BECAUSE THE PEOPLE THAT MATTER , DON'T MIND , AND THE ONES THAT DO , DON'T MATTER!

SNAGGER

« Reply #1126 on: Aug 20, 2009, 10:52 PM »
SNAGGER , I WILL SEE YOU NEXT FRIDAY. I HAVE 5 RODS READY FOR ANYTHING.
 You better be ready, I think I saw Brad Pitt going through the rollers today with a big steelie on at the LB!  :w00t:                I'm haunted by waters!
R.I.P Uncle Johnny
        ALWAYS BE YOURSELF ,  BECAUSE THE PEOPLE THAT MATTER , DON'T MIND , AND THE ONES THAT DO , DON'T MATTER!

SNAGGER

« Reply #1127 on: Aug 21, 2009, 12:41 PM »
what about me i'll be glad to show you up lol j/k call me
 Aint looking good Now, Monster Thunderstorm complexes last night near buffalo, now Monsters Complexes out near Albany. We got Cheated, they hopped over us, probably NO water Release now! No upwelling from Southeast winds yesterday either, winds were Southwest! Hurricane Bill is going to clog up our 2nd Cold front till Sunday, when it will just bleed through!  >:(
R.I.P Uncle Johnny

Stuck-on-Seven

« Reply #1128 on: Aug 21, 2009, 01:27 PM »
we just got hammered here with rain/wind and non stop thunder and lightening (just north of albany)

catmandu

« Reply #1129 on: Aug 21, 2009, 01:32 PM »
Until 9:00 PM today, 185 CFS
From 9:00 PM today until 9:00 PM Mon, 385 CFS

SNAGGER

« Reply #1130 on: Aug 21, 2009, 02:32 PM »
Until 9:00 PM today, 185 CFS
From 9:00 PM today until 9:00 PM Mon, 385 CFS
  THANKS FOR THE UPDATE! Must have got just enough last night! Now it's a wait and see!
R.I.P Uncle Johnny

fishman

« Reply #1131 on: Aug 21, 2009, 02:41 PM »
i knew the salmon would run after i left (for VA).  leaving tomorrow, not back till sat or sun  :'(.  but at least i will get to do some saltwater fishing ;D ;D
If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there\\\\\\\'d be a shortage of fishing poles

SNAGGER

« Reply #1132 on: Aug 21, 2009, 02:56 PM »
i knew the salmon would run after i left (for VA).  leaving tomorrow, not back till sat or sun  :'(.  but at least i will get to do some saltwater fishing ;D ;D
JUST SOME EARLY MOVERS we are talking about, the real good early runs without crowds will be the first 3 weeks of September Fishman!
R.I.P Uncle Johnny

fishman

« Reply #1133 on: Aug 21, 2009, 03:04 PM »
JUST SOME EARLY MOVERS we are talking about, the real good early runs without crowds will be the first 3 weeks of September Fishman!

well thats good, gotta go finish packing.  talk to you guys next week, and maybe i'll even have some pics of fish ;D
If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there\\\\\\\'d be a shortage of fishing poles

trapper2000

• live the dream...........wear it!!!
« Reply #1134 on: Aug 21, 2009, 07:29 PM »
have a good time  fishman and be safe , can't  wait for  the  fish storys :)
you can destroy buildings  you can't  destroy the  american spirit

Stuck-on-Seven

« Reply #1135 on: Aug 21, 2009, 09:57 PM »
You guys are always talkin about baseball on here so i said this before: im not into baseball that much BUT the Yankees are giving the Red Sox a serious beatdown right now  :o......By the way the Dallas Cowboys are also winning  :clapping: :thumbup_smilie:

niagarajiggin

• Keep Your Rods Bent !!
« Reply #1136 on: Aug 22, 2009, 08:03 AM »
uh oh..another 'Boys fan..unless someone relocated from the Dallas region to here, they need to go for a refresher course about hometown teams and loyalty. It's nice to be a fan of other regional teams, but you also need to support the home product. Supporting the other guy does nothing to help our image or regional sports economy. Have a little humility instead of taking to typical route most young people do these days. They root for the popular teams instead of showing loyalty and support for the local product.

sorry if I hijacked

now..back to Salmon River.....I have a few questions because I have never fished it. I plan on making a weekday trip or two this year to give it a try.

Is it best to work areas of the river from shore or is it best to bring a boat ? I have a 16foot aluminum bass boat, would that work there or should I just hire a drift boat. Is the river best fished with traditional spinning gear or can it be managed well enough with my flyfishing gear ? How common is it for folks to use float rods ?

Keep Your Rods Bent !!!           
NYFOA Member
Master Forest Owner

vivlamored

• Gotta Love the Adirondacks
« Reply #1137 on: Aug 22, 2009, 08:54 AM »
uh oh..another 'Boys fan..unless someone relocated from the Dallas region to here, they need to go for a refresher course about hometown teams and loyalty. It's nice to be a fan of other regional teams, but you also need to support the home product. Supporting the other guy does nothing to help our image or regional sports economy. Have a little humility instead of taking to typical route most young people do these days. They root for the popular teams instead of showing loyalty and support for the local product.

sorry if I hijacked

now..back to Salmon River.....I have a few questions because I have never fished it. I plan on making a weekday trip or two this year to give it a try.

Is it best to work areas of the river from shore or is it best to bring a boat ? I have a 16foot aluminum bass boat, would that work there or should I just hire a drift boat. Is the river best fished with traditional spinning gear or can it be managed well enough with my flyfishing gear ? How common is it for folks to use float rods ?

if you want to keep your prop and not dent the hell out of your boat i would either fish from shore or hire a drift boat. I always wade and you can either use a fly or spinning rod it doesn't make much difference at first. i must warn you tough if you have never done it you'll need a few rips to get it down you may be skunked a few ties before actually hooking up. If using fly gear make sure its heavy enough these boys are tough on gear
Don't use your sick days when you are sick use them when the fish are biting. It all looks the same on your time card

fishmaster13184

« Reply #1138 on: Aug 22, 2009, 09:23 AM »
ya i would use a 9/10wt with a reel that has a good drag, if the drag is not up to par you will be going to visit fat nancy because they will destroy it. i like 17# fluro for line. floro sinks so it gets under them better then mono wich floats. my S.R. rod is a 10 wt uglystick with a 10/11 okuma integrity reel, it works real good and is pretty cheap

trapper2000

• live the dream...........wear it!!!
« Reply #1139 on: Aug 22, 2009, 10:41 AM »
niagra   just a few  questions,  as  far as the  boat you can use on   below  the rt 3  bridge !   it's  slow  water  with a few  nice  holes can aslo be  used in oswego harbor  for  trolling .

for up river i  suggest good  waders and corkers. finding  some nice  holes to fish is not hard   

are you looking to  hook salmon or  steelhead? time is  important if  salmon sept and oct  if  steelhead then nov on although  steelies  will be in river with the  salmon  just less people

for  a noodle  rod i use  a  10 and half loomis or a scott  but  any  noodle  rod  will work ... i'm old  style and  have a  supply of the old  dawawa  1300 all metals  for reels i love the drag

for  flyfishing i  use  my 7 wt  9 foot  with a rocket taper and  lots of backing  if  you want to  use a fly reel  with just mono  DO NOT USE A EXPENSIVE REEL for  some reason the mono shrinks  and  can damage the reel!

if you have any problems just pm me  or snagger
you can destroy buildings  you can't  destroy the  american spirit

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.