FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: 09 SALMON RIVER - SALMON AND STEELHEAD BS Thread  (Read 418896 times)

Black Albatraz

Re: 09 SALMON RIVER - SALMON AND STEELHEAD BS Thread
« Reply #1440 on: Sep 12, 2009, 02:19 PM »
Hey Don't make fun of my computer, Steve Jobbs gave me this beauty back in the 70's! It's a classic, got pong and everything on it! It's so old, it's made in the USA! ;D Goes with that shag carpet and reusable sideburns that i seen you sportin the other day

SNAGGER

• FISHING THE SALMON RIVER SINCE 1978
« Reply #1441 on: Sep 12, 2009, 03:08 PM »

Your one too talk, driving up here on your Decked out Harley dressed up like john Travolta from Grease!  Gadam Yuppie!  :w00t:
R.I.P Uncle Johnny
        ALWAYS BE YOURSELF ,  BECAUSE THE PEOPLE THAT MATTER , DON'T MIND , AND THE ONES THAT DO , DON'T MATTER!

wiredstone

« Reply #1442 on: Sep 12, 2009, 04:38 PM »
Worked hard this weekend with not much to show for it . But I had a blast searching for fish. Saw small pods of fish all over the river, but they were very spooky.Was at schoolhouse this morning, and the only guys to hook up had 8# or less for main line.  Helped one guy land a nice king on 8#. This could only be done now with very few people. I spent the rest of my day chasing pods of fish on the rt3 bridge. Very spooky fish there to. Changed from 12# to 8# fluorocarbon. Did not spook fish , but could not hook up. That just proved That I suck as a bridge lifter. The douglaston parking lot was full at 9:00.
wooo fish on. Never mind

SNAGGER

« Reply #1443 on: Sep 12, 2009, 06:44 PM »
Worked hard this weekend with not much to show for it . But I had a blast searching for fish. Saw small pods of fish all over the river, but they were very spooky.Was at schoolhouse this morning, and the only guys to hook up had 8# or less for main line.  Helped one guy land a nice king on 8#. This could only be done now with very few people. I spent the rest of my day chasing pods of fish on the rt3 bridge. Very spooky fish there to. Changed from 12# to 8# fluorocarbon. Did not spook fish , but could not hook up. That just proved That I suck as a bridge lifter. The douglaston parking lot was full at 9:00.
  Time to pull the steelhead rods out with 6lb. Wirestone! I just walked back from schoolhouse, alot jumping, a few hook ups, but there line shy! Heard it was a madhouse at the trestle!  Big Mike said there was a 11am pod at the LB, but thats it!  No rain in forcast either, the goldenrod was wilting at the schoolhouse! Hope they don't lower the River! What a great stretch of weather the lake guys have had the last 3 weeks!
R.I.P Uncle Johnny
        ALWAYS BE YOURSELF ,  BECAUSE THE PEOPLE THAT MATTER , DON'T MIND , AND THE ONES THAT DO , DON'T MATTER!

Issiah

« Reply #1444 on: Sep 12, 2009, 07:01 PM »
Drove by the Trestle hole parking lot on 13  around 1100am   it was full!  Cars out near the road...

wiredstone

« Reply #1445 on: Sep 12, 2009, 07:56 PM »
At the bridge I saw 4 hook ups in 5 hrs. All on light line.
wooo fish on. Never mind

Jack Magnum

« Reply #1446 on: Sep 12, 2009, 11:48 PM »
  The guys I saw getting pulled out of the hole were getting attempting to snag or equipment ( big leaders) tickets! Around 150 for attempting to snag and 50 for leaders I think, actually been a while since any of my guys have gotten tickets that I know of!
How do you get a ticket for attempting to snag ???? I thought it was the act of repeated or exagerated lifts with the rod. I haven't been there in years and in fact back then the leader length was min. 24 inches and hook gap a max of 1/2''. What new rules do they have this year ? My son wants to go out but we haven't stayed out overnight since the riverside went out of business. Used to be nice right there where you could roll out of bed and go right down thehill by the bridge.Lot of good memories there. What are the GW's looking for in order to write a ticket?

SNAGGER

« Reply #1447 on: Sep 13, 2009, 11:37 AM »
How do you get a ticket for attempting to snag ???? I thought it was the act of repeated or exagerated lifts with the rod. I haven't been there in years and in fact back then the leader length was min. 24 inches and hook gap a max of 1/2''. What new rules do they have this year ? My son wants to go out but we haven't stayed out overnight since the riverside went out of business. Used to be nice right there where you could roll out of bed and go right down thehill by the bridge.Lot of good memories there. What are the GW's looking for in order to write a ticket?
 I remember the River Street place! The State has basically structured the laws so that almost anybody could get a ticket in the course of a fishing trip if your hooking alot of fish! No lead above four feet was a big hole killer, since salmon are very line shy! Forces everyone into the rapids, with all the land grabbing going on ,not that much room in the rapids anymore! All the places where the State owns land, you need your lead as far away from the hook as posible, like the trestle,schoolhouse, and sportsmans pools! Others used to call us ropers or goons, didn't bother me, I was hooking ALOT of fish  and they were in the MOUTH! It really is a shame how a few can change it for everybody! Four feet is effective in the faster moving water, but be careful in the bigger pools ( especially when there NOT crowded)!  >:(
R.I.P Uncle Johnny

SNAGGER

« Reply #1448 on: Sep 13, 2009, 11:45 AM »
  A Backdoor cold front came through this morning with a little rain, According to DSR that was enough to get some of those fish in the port moving. Maybe by Late afternoon they'll be up to the Staircase! Also the winds have picked up out of the north, it's only 66 degrees and cloudy out! Maybe the rest of those fish at the port will leave tonight under the DSR radar screen and be in Pulaski tomorrow. We'll see! Good luck out there!
R.I.P Uncle Johnny

Jack Magnum

« Reply #1449 on: Sep 13, 2009, 12:04 PM »
 A Backdoor cold front came through this morning with a little rain, According to DSR that was enough to get some of those fish in the port moving. Maybe by Late afternoon they'll be up to the Staircase! Also the winds have picked up out of the north, it's only 66 degrees and cloudy out! Maybe the rest of those fish at the port will leave tonight under the DSR radar screen and be in Pulaski tomorrow. We'll see! Good luck out there!
What ever happened to the Riverside after Peter died ??? We still went there for a while after  and haven't been there since 2000. Can you still park in that parking lot ?We used to pay 5 bucks for parking if we didn't rent a room. It was really easy acess for me . I miss hooking into them and hearing the spool scream. I wonder if they still climb down the rope behind the grocery store. I used to see some nasty falls thru the years.

SNAGGER

« Reply #1450 on: Sep 13, 2009, 12:09 PM »
 I remember climbing down the cliff at the old P&C at the long bridge, that was in the 80's during high water!( you would be the only guys on the cliff side) I don't know what happened to that place! I think you can still park there for a fee, but some Dentist posted the heck out of all of the Rapids at the corner down to the Long Bridge! Can only fish the town hole! They make you pay behind the yankee fly and tackle also, just up from the old Silver Star grocery!
R.I.P Uncle Johnny

Jack Magnum

« Reply #1451 on: Sep 13, 2009, 12:50 PM »
I remember climbing down the cliff at the old P&C at the long bridge, that was in the 80's during high water!( you would be the only guys on the cliff side) I don't know what happened to that place! I think you can still park there for a fee, but some Dentist posted the heck out of all of the Rapids at the corner down to the Long Bridge! Can only fish the town hole! They make you pay behind the yankee fly and tackle also, just up from the old Silver Star grocery!
YEP !!!!!!!!!!  That cliff was for the more energenic guys LOL The fish would hang under those ledges on that side though. I don't know how they release the water anymore but when I first started going years ago .It was great .You could time it right and be at the deep holes when the water receded. FISH ON !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! In the 90's the water was run differently and it wasn't quite the same BUT, Still fish on. Great times.I couldn't understand how some guys would duke it out over the dying fish though LOL. Back when the treble hooks were legal we would see the kings coming up looking like a Xmas tree with all the hardware etc.They used to bulldose the dead fish up by the hatchery before the fish ladder was built. Many fond memories and lots of pictures of my boys when I would take them out of school on field trips ;D ;D Thanks for the info snagger

KingPerch

« Reply #1452 on: Sep 13, 2009, 02:43 PM »
SNAGGER, I tried to return your P.M. but your box is full. Going to try to get up your way in the morning. See Ya--KP :)
“I’ve never met a Perch I didn’t like!! 😎

Time spent fishing is not deducted from one’s life span

SNAGGER

« Reply #1453 on: Sep 13, 2009, 09:16 PM »
 Sent a friend down to the LB last 3 hours before dark. He said it was solid steady Coho's and some kings going by him the whole time he was there. He said it was a decent Run with groups of 4 or 5 going by the whole time, also said about 20 guys were there and everybody was hooking up! They were moving like lightning, so they'll be quite bit upstream by tomorrow, hopefully more will leave the port tonight! Wish I had more info, I couldn't go!                                     Good luck guys!
R.I.P Uncle Johnny

KingPerch

« Reply #1454 on: Sep 14, 2009, 07:40 AM »
HOW 'BOUT THEM COWBOYS!!!!!!!!!! ;D Any fish move up yet SNAGGER? Got the afternoon to screw off, Wondering where to fish!! ::) Have a great one!!--KP
“I’ve never met a Perch I didn’t like!! 😎

Time spent fishing is not deducted from one’s life span

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.