FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Bruce lake, guess I'll have to bass/pan fish to catch/see a Musky  (Read 1537 times)

charlys1954

On the thread LAKE BRUCE Abishop and Spooled comments are spot on. They see/catch Muskies while fishing for something else, that happened this mourning.

Got there right before sunup and while launching my boat I seen a guy in a small Kayak in the channel going out to the lake, he just seemed to be setting there so I never paid allot of attention. I launched my boat and went to park. On the walk back to my boat her comes a guy up the drive with a Musky in his net, looked to be about a 38-40 incher. He said he was fishing for bass right where the pad open up from the narrow channel and caught it. I bet it was one H... of a fight in that little Kayak, it was a small one maybe 10ft.

After seeing that I fish mainly shallow weeds all day, 8am till 4:30pm. Never seen hide nor hair of a Skii, guess I should bass/pan fish if I want to catch/see on.
I'm a "Born in Ind" Redneck and proud of it

charlys1954

Forgot to add allot of the day, when I was clear of shallow weeds, I had a 7" chub or shiner dropped off the side of the boat and nothing hit it. So if I had a follow they didn't want the minnow either. At Bruce you can't see 2ft below the surface so allot of follows, if I had any, you couldn't see them.

Off topic, anyone know what kind of large minnow has a orangish/red dot right behind its eye and orangish/red fins. They are pretty stout not skinny. I went to the Eel river to try to catch some large white suckers and caught a few of these minnows. 6-7" is a little small for fall Musky fishing but they're better than nothing.

Teacherpreacher

Charlys,
Was at stepson's cottage on south end of Bruce this past weekend. Not near as many fishing as usual. Have yet to see a Muskie caught this year when I've been there. But see lots of photos.
Teach
Do all that you love, with those that you love, as often as you can.

charlys1954

Musky fished from before sunup to sundown yesterday, 11 hrs and shoulder is sore today. Had very little action but best day so far at Bruce this yr.

I had a big minnow w/bobber hanging over the side while casting. Started to float over some weed so I needed to shallow up my minnow. I had just cast a wooden topwater so I set the rod down thinking the bait would float. Didn't know then but it didn't float it slowly sank. Adjusted the minnow to 3 ft, picked up my pole didn't get one crank and it was hit. Got it to the boat and it threw the hook. I guess the 10-20 sec. slowly sinking then movement triggered the hit. Around sundown also had a hit and miss on the same lure in shallow weeds.

This happens to me allot especially when crappie fishing. Go do something else and hear a pole banging against the boat. Have caught many a crappie while pouring cup of joe or baiting another hook.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.