FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: ONEIDA LAKE DIEHARDS THREAD...  (Read 1480286 times)

Dug1898

Re: ONEIDA LAKE DIEHARDS THREAD...
« Reply #3285 on: May 04, 2017, 08:08 AM »
I wanted to hear the guy talk about the sunken wrecks...that sounds interesting to me...fish like sunken structure. ;)

Seems to me, if you can locate some of those you could be on some good eyes and perch.

Glad you guys liked the meeting...did any of you win a nice rod and reel combo?
There's never been a better time to Stand Up for your First and Second Ammendment Rights than right now. 
Please join the NRA. They're my political voice.

oleanjeff

« Reply #3286 on: May 04, 2017, 08:17 AM »
I have my snowsuit pulled out for the weekend!  Good luck everyone!

Deadeyez

• Oneida Lake Diehard
« Reply #3287 on: May 04, 2017, 08:23 AM »
Geeze, I missed the meeting too! Too much on my mind lately I guess...It doesn't have anything to do with my missing the meeting;
but I did pass my 1st and hopefully last kidney stone this afternoon! :o OMG that hurt!

Found a tic on me on Monday after turkey hunting. I got it all off Ok; but I still got antibiotics for it today...better safe than sorry. I did call a young bird right to me with my wingbone call; but no beard. Really fun though...

Fred, after that puckered up ride to and from Pompey with mushy brakes...I did just get new pads all around and all 4 lines bled on the Jeep this past week...
stops much better now...and it's much quieter too. 8)

Good luck fishing this weekend fellas...try to stay out of the rain... ::)

I feel your pain! I had a kidney stone few weeks ago. Painful to say the least! Glad you passed it ok
Nice job findin em

filetandrelease

« Reply #3288 on: May 04, 2017, 08:30 AM »

Glad you both got relief from the stones , and guys watch out for those ticks

reeleyz

« Reply #3289 on: May 04, 2017, 08:31 AM »
Burbot seem to like to hang around the wrecks. He had some cool pictures of them swimming right up to his hand.

Adult Walleye numbers are holding steady in 450,000 - 500,000 range. Perch numbers are up slightly, white perch are down, bass numbers are great.

Everything went well at the Hatchery. They had 81% "eye up" which means 81% of the eggs hatched successfully which is much better than last year (61%).

Last year the walleye catch for anglers was around 18,000 fish when for the past few years it had been around 60,000. He attributed the drop to gobies but I think it had more to do with shad but either way the take was way down.

I think they said goby numbers tripled or quadrupled from 2015 to 2016. Hopefully they are getting close to peaking but we won't really know for a few years.  

filetandrelease

« Reply #3290 on: May 04, 2017, 09:12 AM »
Those perch like those gobies , walleyes that I caught all had shad , I'm sure they found gobies in the tanks ,the tanks couldn't hold another eye , I agree that eyes are now fat and lazy which would put the catch numbers down , then toss in all those juveniles being more aggressive

Rugburn

• Camp Dog
« Reply #3291 on: May 04, 2017, 10:36 AM »
 Thanks for the reports!

hunts2long

• Sacandaga
« Reply #3292 on: May 04, 2017, 11:33 AM »
Only 18,000 last year, I guess Snagger didn't report his...lol...h2l

filetandrelease

« Reply #3293 on: May 04, 2017, 12:56 PM »
Snag starts his salmon business mid august , we did pretty well But noticed things slowing in august for us anyway , last tourney there was only a few limits of 5 fish , three fish would have cashed ,  it didn't get any better for me anyway , and my shore casting off the north shore was well   behind the year before , was my worst year in over 30+years on Oneida but that's fishing , new season coming 👍🏻

Fishin-Mission

« Reply #3294 on: May 04, 2017, 01:21 PM »
While reading Filetandrelease's comment I did not understand the 5 fish limit comment.  From what I remember the limit for Walleye from Oneida Lake was 3 fish in 2016.  The same 3 fish limit we have this year 2017. 

My fishing partners and I all limited on opening day with 3 Walleye each, 5 guys 15 fish total.  The rest of my season sucked, especially from shore in the fall.  There is always this year to make up for last year.

Good luck to all for the Walleye opener (My buddies and I call the first weekend Walleye Weekend) ;D

fishinjohn

« Reply #3295 on: May 04, 2017, 01:33 PM »
While reading Filetandrelease's comment I did not understand the 5 fish limit comment.  From what I remember the limit for Walleye from Oneida Lake was 3 fish in 2016.  The same 3 fish limit we have this year 2017. 

My fishing partners and I all limited on opening day with 3 Walleye each, 5 guys 15 fish total.  The rest of my season sucked, especially from shore in the fall.  There is always this year to make up for last year.

Good luck to all for the Walleye opener (My buddies and I call the first weekend Walleye Weekend) ;D
He was talking about the tournament limit... every walleye tournament that I know is comprised of a 2 man team which means legally they can possess 6 legal walleye on Oneida.. they take 5 of their best fish to the scales to be weighed and I'm assuming these tourneys are a catch and release tourney.. meaning the fish after being weighed goes into a holding tank and get put back into the water to live for another angler to catch them... at least that's how the tourneys I've fished are run

filetandrelease

« Reply #3296 on: May 04, 2017, 01:42 PM »
I did mention the tourney , thanks FJ for explaining , this tourney ends up being a catch and eat one while many are catch and release after ,the tourney board was a sad sight indeed

Fishin-Mission

« Reply #3297 on: May 04, 2017, 02:06 PM »
I thank fishinjohn & filetandrelease for the explanation.  I do not fish any tournaments so I am unfamiliar with the two member team system.  Now I understand the comment. 

filetandrelease

« Reply #3298 on: May 04, 2017, 02:10 PM »
I thank fishinjohn & filetandrelease for the explanation.  I do not fish any tournaments so I am unfamiliar with the two member team system.  Now I understand the comment.  
No harm no foul , I should have explained a little better  , all the guys are great and it's run well , omg at least I wasn't the only one crying in my beer lol

riot609

• best time to fish when its rainin & when it aint!
« Reply #3299 on: May 04, 2017, 02:59 PM »
Attended the meeting last night with my grandfather and my son,  as usually was a good meeting lots of info out there as said before the lake is looking good despite the difficulty some may or may not have finding and putting fish in the boat,  was glad to hear that there will be some cormorants being taken off the lake this year believe it was the DEC that will be taking 200 birds for stomach samples 10 a week all tho its not the permit for deterring and harassing them it will help.  the speaker on the wrecks and the Durham boat was very cool to see theirs a lot more ships and barges out there than I ever knew about he had really great pics and scans of them all, the Durham project was really interesting, crazy the extensive diving work they did to uncover and document that boat then to cover it back up so it remains preserved down there on the bottom.   Didn't win anything but my 9 year old helped hand out the goods and got a combo to take home he was very pleased it had line on it before he was in bed last night. 

Best of luck to everyone going out for opener this weekend, stay safe.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.