FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: ONEIDA LAKE DIEHARDS THREAD...  (Read 1480478 times)

mcully

Re: ONEIDA LAKE DIEHARDS THREAD...
« Reply #7665 on: Aug 19, 2020, 09:24 AM »
loaded with grubs! Couldn't believe it. 8)
I did get a striper that was smaller than my plug. Tough guy

SouthBay

« Reply #7666 on: Aug 21, 2020, 07:31 PM »
In years past I have caught lots of pickerel in the weeds close to shore and even from shore. I know some fishermen don't like them but I do because the Oneida pickerel are just as big as the northern pike I used to catch years ago at our family camp on the Salmon River. This year I have caught only one so far. They don't seem as plentiful as in years past. I normally fish mainly in Lower South Bay off Lakeshore Road. Has anyone else a decline in pickerel or am I just having bad luck?

elrodalonzo

« Reply #7667 on: Aug 27, 2020, 04:22 PM »
Most would consider that good luck ;D

reeleyz

« Reply #7668 on: Aug 28, 2020, 07:01 AM »
I think I’ve caught 3 so far. Maybe a little less than average I guess. Not many smallmouth either.

BiteMe

« Reply #7669 on: Aug 28, 2020, 09:15 AM »
Survey Results are in.

A total of 2,256 surveys were completed. Most respondents (85%) had fished Oneida Lake, and a
majority of them (80%) had fished it within the last year (Figure 1). Among all respondents, the majority
(62.2%) either supported or strongly supported increasing the limit to 5/day, while 33.1% either opposed
or strongly opposed the proposed change. All respondent groups, whether they fished the lake or not,
generally supported the proposed change. Those who had fished the lake in the last year had the
highest amount of opposition (41%) among all groups, but this group of anglers were generally in support
(57.7%) of the proposed change. Those who had fished the lake more than a year ago were
overwhelmingly in favor of the change

https://www.dec.ny.gov/docs/fish_marine_pdf/tb1510.pdf

https://www.syracuse.com/outdoors/2020/08/oneida-lake-walleye-possession-limit-should-be-changed-to-5-per-day-dec-angler-survey.html
 :flag:
Fishy, Fishy in the lake, please come here and take my bait. I troll and jig you take my hook, and then I take you home to cook.

oneida1

« Reply #7670 on: Aug 28, 2020, 01:12 PM »
i still pefer it stay at 3 at least next couple of years just to make sure the population is steady and the high numbers are not just a spike from a couple good spawns

reeleyz

« Reply #7671 on: Aug 28, 2020, 03:17 PM »
i still pefer it stay at 3 at least next couple of years just to make sure the population is steady and the high numbers are not just a spike from a couple good spawns

Agreed.

filetandrelease

« Reply #7672 on: Aug 28, 2020, 03:46 PM »

Bruce you or Oneida 1 know what the surface temps is

oneida1

« Reply #7673 on: Aug 28, 2020, 04:10 PM »
im not sure have not been in a week or so ive been out but it was still high 70's then,

hunts2long

• Sacandaga
« Reply #7674 on: Aug 28, 2020, 04:12 PM »
Sacandaga was 73* today...h2l

filetandrelease

« Reply #7675 on: Aug 28, 2020, 04:17 PM »

Thanks !!!

pimplepounder

« Reply #7676 on: Aug 29, 2020, 09:34 AM »
75 at 6 am yesterday then heated up a bit to 78 at 2pm when I finished taking the kids tubing

elrodalonzo

« Reply #7677 on: Sep 01, 2020, 07:05 PM »

I would have to agree with that also.  This lake gets alot of fishing pressure I don't think its really "over populated" yet.  We get one real good ice year and that could take a toll.  If it aint broke dont fix it at least not right away.

Badbrad2186

« Reply #7678 on: Sep 01, 2020, 07:34 PM »
I would have to agree with that also.  This lake gets alot of fishing pressure I don't think its really "over populated" yet.  We get one real good ice year and that could take a toll.  If it aint broke dont fix it at least not right away.

I wish I could say the same that I'd like to see it stay at 3 fish what I would like is 5 @ 18" but that's juste cause if I have to choose I'm going to Lake Erie same amount of time to get to each lake with 2 as many for the limit on erie

filetandrelease

« Reply #7679 on: Sep 02, 2020, 05:49 AM »
 Comparing Erie to Oneida is like a peach to a pear , far as size and fish populations of perch and eyes , and raising the size to 18” targets prime spawning fish besides nobody says you have to keep ones under 18” as that is choice , with size at 15” helps takes some of the pressure off prime spawning fish , (personally) I don’t keep them over 20” anyway unless badly hooked and the bite goes from start to finish  of the season
I think it could handle a 5 fish limit but needs to be closely monitored, but I’m good with the 3 fish ,

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.