FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: ONEIDA LAKE DIEHARDS THREAD...  (Read 1480518 times)

Fishin-Mission

Re: ONEIDA LAKE DIEHARDS THREAD...
« Reply #7680 on: Sep 02, 2020, 02:21 PM »
I agree with filetandrelease that having the minimum size at 18" puts the pressure on the best spawning fish.  I prefer to keep Walleye between 15 and 19.  They may not look as impressive in the live-well or on a stringer, but they sure are tasty on my plate. Bigger fish accumulate more toxins and really big Walleye do not taste that great. Additionally, 3 Walleye are plenty for me, but if they raise the daily limit to 5 I can continue to only keep 3. Lets hope we continue to enjoy a healthy Walleye population in Oneida for the rest of my life.  After that I won’t care.

Deadeyez

• Oneida Lake Diehard
« Reply #7681 on: Sep 02, 2020, 04:51 PM »
Comparing Erie to Oneida is like a peach to a pear , far as size and fish populations of perch and eyes , and raising the size to 18” targets prime spawning fish besides nobody says you have to keep ones under 18” as that is choice , with size at 15” helps takes some of the pressure off prime spawning fish , (personally) I don’t keep them over 20” anyway unless badly hooked and the bite goes from start to finish  of the season
I think it could handle a 5 fish limit but needs to be closely monitored, but I’m good with the 3 fish ,
I couldn’t agree more Fred. Well said
Nice job findin em

Frankie Bags

« Reply #7682 on: Sep 02, 2020, 06:17 PM »
Comparing Erie to Oneida is like a peach to a pear , far as size and fish populations of perch and eyes , and raising the size to 18” targets prime spawning fish besides nobody says you have to keep ones under 18” as that is choice , with size at 15” helps takes some of the pressure off prime spawning fish , (personally) I don’t keep them over 20” anyway unless badly hooked and the bite goes from start to finish  of the season
I think it could handle a 5 fish limit but needs to be closely monitored, but I’m good with the 3 fish ,
Spot-on. Oneida seems to get a lot of pressure once there’s enough ice to walk on. If they raise the limit to 5... I may even make the 3+ hour trip over. Not that I’d be able to catch any but I’m sure others would head that way as well. Definitely would have to be monitored. If It was my go to lake I’d probably be fine with keeping it at 3. 

reeleyz

« Reply #7683 on: Sep 02, 2020, 06:38 PM »
I agree Fred.

I would imagine if (more like when) they do raise the limit to 5 that the fishing pressure will also go up a bit.

I don’t see myself keeping 5 fish anyway.

The good news is that a higher limit will take a little pressure off of the perch.

Badbrad2186

« Reply #7684 on: Sep 02, 2020, 07:13 PM »

I'm not comparing the lakes I'm saying if I have to choose I go to erie as it's 2 hours to either lake from my house. I would much rather fish Oneida but if I got to drive 2 hours I'm going where I can get more fish if Oneida goes to 5 fish I will go to Oneida

Pequod1

« Reply #7685 on: Sep 03, 2020, 02:56 AM »
I am in the exact same position. 110 miles to the Cat on Erie, 119 miles to Lewis point.  There have been many times this year that it was too windy on Erie but descent on Oneida. I just can’t go two hours for three small eyes.  But, I do like the possibility of catching panfish and bass in Oneida and also prefer casting over trolling . Just can’t do that in Erie most of the season. If the limit is increased to five, I would probably spend more time on Oneida graduating from a diehard tourist to a regular ;D

filetandrelease

« Reply #7686 on: Sep 03, 2020, 05:44 AM »
The good news is that a higher limit will take a little pressure off of the perch.
Absolutely, 👍
This fall will give us some idea from what they are feeding on , last fall they were chewing mostly on perch as there wasn’t much in the way of shad ,goon and I only fished perch last winter for the last 3 weeks of the season and they (Walleyes)  were Insane, lots of fish over 20”s    and very few had buckeyes in them same with this season jigging and trolling , just an observation, I go by from what I see on the graph plus what I manage to catch and from others
  Thing about walleye Netting numbers It’s an estimation they can be off by several percent One way or the other
 We shall see 😉 it’s a great fishery

reeleyz

« Reply #7687 on: Sep 03, 2020, 10:15 AM »
Netting definitely seems like a loose science to me.

The mark recapture is way more accurate and I think that happens every other year. They clip them at the hatchery and then electro shock them in the fall. From there they can come up with a population estimate. Based on how many they clipped in the spring and how many clipped fish vs non clipped fish they get from the fall shocking.

Lets says they clipped 20,000 in the spring and then in the fall 1 out of every 10 fish shocked was clipped.

Then I think they would estimate the population at 20,000 x 10 = 200,000 fish.

If they get 1 clipped fish out of 100 then it is 20,000 x 100 = 2 million fish.

I assume they have some way to factor in how many clipped fish were in Fred's freezer too.  :w00t:

filetandrelease

« Reply #7688 on: Sep 03, 2020, 11:45 AM »

Lmao  😜

trapper2000

• live the dream...........wear it!!!
« Reply #7689 on: Sep 04, 2020, 08:15 AM »
I am in the exact same position. 110 miles to the Cat on Erie, 119 miles to Lewis point.  There have been many times this year that it was too windy on Erie but descent on Oneida. I just can’t go two hours for three small eyes.  But, I do like the possibility of catching panfish and bass in Oneida and also prefer casting over trolling . Just can’t do that in Erie most of the season. If the limit is increased to five, I would probably spend more time on Oneida graduating from a diehard tourist to a regular ;D

in my opinion  trolling sucks ....not sure if i  ever shared that opinion   on here  before
you can destroy buildings  you can't  destroy the  american spirit

Badbrad2186

« Reply #7690 on: Sep 04, 2020, 12:36 PM »
in my opinion  trolling sucks ....not sure if i  ever shared that opinion   on here  before

I'm sure you have ya old goat

SeanP

• Formally known as SPN
« Reply #7691 on: Sep 04, 2020, 02:30 PM »

Trapp,  note sure i ever heard you share an opinion!!!  :rotflol: :rotflol: :rotflol:

SeanP

filetandrelease

« Reply #7692 on: Sep 04, 2020, 03:48 PM »
Trapp,  note sure i ever heard you share an opinion!!!  :rotflol: :rotflol: :rotflol:
SeanP
Omg lmao

drowndin dots

• BOAT = break out another thousand
« Reply #7693 on: Sep 04, 2020, 05:00 PM »
Lmaooo.    :rotflol: :rotflol: :rotflol:

icu.traveler

« Reply #7694 on: Sep 04, 2020, 06:14 PM »
All I know is trolling if i ever want to catch a walleye.   Never got one by jigging.  I watched a few YouTube videos about jigging, tried it, and nothing.  Does Oneida require anything special?
Educate me, I'm all ears.
Traveler

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.