FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: ONEIDA LAKE DIEHARDS THREAD...  (Read 1480284 times)

bbfrogger

Re: ONEIDA LAKE DIEHARDS THREAD...
« Reply #8715 on: Aug 28, 2021, 08:10 PM »
I hate pickerel - I agree about the eagles and seagulls ....  I tried to eat one once - not bad meat but too much work for me .... between that and all the slime and all the times they've broken me off I won't shed a tear  no matter how they die. We thin them out pretty good ice fishing every year - lawfully of course ... mostly.  ;D.  I can't count how many times I've been fishing off our dock and a fish like a rock bass or crappie swim by and a pickerel shoots out and grabs it - has no chance at all to swallow it due to the shape difference .... they just sink out of sight so I'm not sure what happens after that.

trapper2000

• live the dream...........wear it!!!
« Reply #8716 on: Aug 29, 2021, 04:00 AM »
bbfrogger  best way i have found to cook pickerel is the old fashion way!  age under loosen soil for 2 months with a tomato plant on top  ,pick tomatos when ripe boil down to sauce add meatball pour over pasta.....no slim :thumbup_smilie:
you can destroy buildings  you can't  destroy the  american spirit

bauls25

• AKA paul23
« Reply #8717 on: Aug 29, 2021, 08:14 AM »
Learned the hard way to check your latch tightness on your boat trailer!!  Had the trailer pop off friday evening going over the bridge in sylvan. Thx to a bunch of guys that quickly helped out. Been fine the past 15 years so not sure if it loosened up or what.
Had a flat tire on thruway by Utica just before that.
Was not a good day.

bbfrogger

« Reply #8718 on: Aug 29, 2021, 08:41 AM »
bbfrogger  best way i have found to cook pickerel is the old fashion way!  age under loosen soil for 2 months with a tomato plant on top  ,pick tomatos when ripe boil down to sauce add meatball pour over pasta.....no slim :thumbup_smilie:

LOL - couldn't agree more !!

trapper2000

« Reply #8719 on: Aug 29, 2021, 08:43 AM »
bauls  glad  your ok  buddy  i always  check that  hitch real  good  after leaving my trailer  parked anywhere ....not everyone is nice !

filetandrelease

« Reply #8720 on: Aug 29, 2021, 08:57 AM »

Bauls
 Glad it turned out ok

bauls25

• AKA paul23
« Reply #8721 on: Aug 29, 2021, 09:09 AM »
Trap, ya i do also. The 3/4” nut below the hitch needed to be tightened.   Noones fault but my own. Not sure if it worked loose over the years or i just got lucky. 

bauls25

• AKA paul23
« Reply #8722 on: Aug 29, 2021, 10:13 AM »
Any mechanics close to Cleveland that work on trailer e-brake breakaway cable?   Cant seem to get these two plastic spacers back in. Looks like this.

filetandrelease

« Reply #8723 on: Aug 29, 2021, 11:29 AM »

Bauls
 Give Matt a call maybe he can give you a hand , he is in Bernard bay
  315-529-6554

filetandrelease

« Reply #8724 on: Aug 29, 2021, 11:45 AM »

Here is the predicted path

bauls25

• AKA paul23
« Reply #8725 on: Aug 29, 2021, 12:22 PM »
Thx guys, got it in w some neighbors help.    Thx

SouthBay

« Reply #8726 on: Aug 29, 2021, 02:55 PM »
I hate pickerel - I agree about the eagles and seagulls ....  I tried to eat one once - not bad meat but too much work for me .... between that and all the slime and all the times they've broken me off I won't shed a tear  no matter how they die. We thin them out pretty good ice fishing every year - lawfully of course ... mostly.  ;D.  I can't count how many times I've been fishing off our dock and a fish like a rock bass or crappie swim by and a pickerel shoots out and grabs it - has no chance at all to swallow it due to the shape difference .... they just sink out of sight so I'm not sure what happens after that.
I used to scale pike and pickerel and you're right they can be slimy and trying to eat around the bones can be a pain. I then started skinning them and cooking them in a pressure cooker at least 45 minutes. No more slime and the bones get soft so they are like bones in canned salmon- you don't notice the small ones if you take out the backbone. I usually salt with seasoning salt when pressure cooking. After pressure cooking you can use however you want- fish burgers, chunks of cooked fish cold with cocktail sauce, etc.                                                                                                                                                                                                                 
Now I know some are going to laugh at this but I like catching and eating pickerel but the last 2 years I haven't caught nearly as many as in previous years. In the past I have caught several even casting from shore in my marina. If anybody can point me to some extra good spots for them around Lower South Bay (the one near Beach Rd-Lakeshore Rd in Cicero) I promise to keep every legal one I catch!

gotagetm

« Reply #8727 on: Aug 29, 2021, 03:10 PM »
I'm with you man ,and there awesome fight on light tackle!

trapper2000

« Reply #8728 on: Aug 29, 2021, 04:13 PM »
southbay  from fulton to oneida  ....on oneida  toad harbor big bay  81 bridge the  whole  east  end ...if you want i  will be  glad to show you  how  to fillet  a  pike  or  pickerel .....or  how  to make really  great  tomato  sauce  :) doesn't  take  but a  few  minutes to  fillet  skin and  de y bone  a  pike.....

xc600

• ADK
« Reply #8729 on: Aug 29, 2021, 06:10 PM »
About 6" left to go. Large dead head SE of 109, in about 30 fow. We haven't been seeing as many slime darts here in the SE corner this year so far. Of course perch fishing has been slow also.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.