FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: some nice rainbow  (Read 3668 times)

pondpro

some nice rainbow
« on: Apr 03, 2007, 08:13 PM »
here are some nice trout i caught after school
Tommy G.

Gump

Re: some nice rainbow
« Reply #1 on: Apr 04, 2007, 06:32 PM »
Before or after you did your homework?   :D

Nice looking trout!!!

"Why do you go on these trips with me , Ed?"

crappieslayer22

• the kayak fisherman
« Reply #2 on: Apr 04, 2007, 08:27 PM »
nice fish tom::)  ;)
Loren .W.

o2rmk800

« Reply #3 on: Apr 05, 2007, 09:40 AM »
nice fish, did you get them out of wharton creek? congrats

steve

ChenBassHead

• MFF Mod Team
  • Team Bandito Strikes Again!
« Reply #4 on: Apr 05, 2007, 10:34 AM »
Nice fish Tom.

I doubt he got them from Wharton Creek, they only stock browns in there, and there are native brookies as well.  I think I know where he got them though...I'm heading there right now as a matter of fact... ;)

dooberhoopa

• ridin' fishin' or huntin' i just wanna be outside
« Reply #5 on: Apr 05, 2007, 10:40 AM »
i dont think that those are stocker rainbows they nip the two front fins on the stockers and those look like natives to me good catch
Team MIRC NYRC Chapter.....ROCK BASS ON!
Tis better to have fished and lied than never fished at all

dooberhoopa

« Reply #6 on: Apr 05, 2007, 11:00 AM »
oh and chen...love the pic in the siggy a knew there were red sox fans in ny!!!

CAPTJJ

« Reply #7 on: Apr 05, 2007, 11:14 AM »
i dont think that those are stocker rainbows they nip the two front fins on the stockers and those look like natives to me good catch
FYI, there are no native rainbows in NY and they don't fin clip all stockies. 8)

dooberhoopa

« Reply #8 on: Apr 05, 2007, 11:26 AM »
a stocker that spawns i guess its not a native but its not stocked either thats what im talking about...ive helped stock around here and everyone we threw in had the fins clipped soooo...maybe its not the same everywhere but here its like that so the trout fisherman can keep logs and tell the dec what they are catching stockers or "natives"

dooberhoopa

« Reply #9 on: Apr 05, 2007, 11:28 AM »
rainbows have been in ny since the 1870s i d say that they are native to their respevtful streams by now??

mttrout

« Reply #10 on: Apr 05, 2007, 11:42 AM »
a stocker that spawns i guess its not a native but its not stocked either thats what im talking about...ive helped stock around here and everyone we threw in had the fins clipped soooo...maybe its not the same everywhere but here its like that so the trout fisherman can keep logs and tell the dec what they are catching stockers or "natives"

In MT fisheries biologists make the distinction between native and wild. MT does not stock any fish in rivers or streams, only reservoirs. All of the fish in our rivers and streams are born there. When they are a nonnative fish that was spawned naturally, like our browns, brookies and bows, they are called wild (but not native). Our 2 cutthroat species, bull trout, etc. are native. Sounds like you might be getting wild rainbows if they are not native but are spawning and not stocked.

CAPTJJ

« Reply #11 on: Apr 05, 2007, 11:49 AM »
Thanks mttrout, good explanation. I believe there is now a law requiring anglers to kill wild lake trout in lakes in Yellowstone to protect native cutthroats.

mttrout

« Reply #12 on: Apr 05, 2007, 11:55 AM »
Thanks mttrout, good explanation. I believe there is now a law requiring anglers to kill wild lake trout in lakes in Yellowstone to protect native cutthroats.
True dat! I am a biologist at MSU and work w/ people working on that very issue. I've seen some incredible pics of huge lakers w/ cutthroat hanging out of their jowls! It's not only having an impact on cutties, but terrestrial spp as well. Grizzly bears flock to the creeks to eat spawning cutthroat that come up out of the lakes as well as countless bald eagles. They have noted a decline in both griz and eagels along those creeks due to less cutthroat spawning. All in the bellies of monster lakers!

dooberhoopa

« Reply #13 on: Apr 05, 2007, 11:57 AM »
alright u win but im still gonna call them native when i catch them

Gump

« Reply #14 on: Apr 05, 2007, 12:01 PM »
True dat! I am a biologist at MSU and work w/ people working on that very issue. I've seen some incredible pics of huge lakers w/ cutthroat hanging out of their jowls! It's not only having an impact on cutties, but terrestrial spp as well. Grizzly bears flock to the creeks to eat spawning cutthroat that come up out of the lakes as well as countless bald eagles. They have noted a decline in both griz and eagels along those creeks due to less cutthroat spawning. All in the bellies of monster lakers!

I have heard about that situation.  They figure out who the a-hole is that put the lakers in there in the first place?  Are they considering any extreme measures like killing off the entire lake, then restocking it with the naitive broodstock? 

"Why do you go on these trips with me , Ed?"

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.