FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Morel Mushrooms....  (Read 6783 times)

tsmith17

• A day of bad fishing is still a good day.
Morel Mushrooms....
« on: May 03, 2010, 01:06 AM »

Got these two weekends ago.

Not sure if this is the right spot to post this, but oh well.  I have recently gotten into searching for morel mushrooms.  Would love any advice from avid shroom seekers. Found mine almost exclusively on the north side of several small islands in my local lake, the were mostly around dead elm trees. Would like to know if that is a common place to look or any other information would be helpful. Will be going out this week again if it rains at all, other wise going to be in the fields planting beans. Love those tasty mushrooms!

tsmith17

Re: Morel Mushrooms....
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2010, 07:09 PM »
Nobody?

Raquettedacker

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2010, 07:23 PM »
That is a great find.. Still waiting for them around here.. Some info on them on myhuntingforum.com..

http://www.myhuntingforum.com/hunting_forum/index.php?board=60.0 
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own.....<br />Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand...<br />\"Dying is the easy part. Learning how to live is the hard part....\"

JiggerMan

• Man do I love Fishing
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2010, 08:29 PM »
holy crap that is the most morels i have seen in one picking, GOOD JOB and FIND.  we dont have many of them around my area because we dont have alot of the habitat they like. 

Did you stumble across them on accident or did you know to look around elm trees?  The most common place that they are found is around elm trees especially the ones that have been hit by dutch elm disease.  they can alos be found around very old apple trees.  there are probably other places but those two are the most common. 

we have the papinkis, black trumpets, puffers, some morels, and white corals around here. 

JiggerMan

• Man do I love Fishing
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2010, 08:42 PM »
That is a great find.. Still waiting for them around here.. Some info on them on myhuntingforum.com..

http://www.myhuntingforum.com/hunting_forum/index.php?board=60.0 

thanks for the thread link....  neverknew it was over there on that forum.    Not alot of recent activity though

tsmith17

« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2010, 12:47 AM »
Did you stumble across them on accident or did you know to look around elm trees?  The most common place that they are found is around elm trees especially the ones that have been hit by dutch elm disease.   

Honestly, I was out looking for sheds when I happened to come upon them.  Pretty sure there was also some bad dutch elm disease up here, so i would assume that is what the trees died from.

Raquettedacker, thanks for the link!

carpcatcher

« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2010, 07:04 AM »
Great find, I think their about over here already. Whatever you do, DO NOT tell or show anyone where you got them or you will be disappointed come next season.
Love 2 fish

panfishman13

• it's what i do!
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2010, 02:39 PM »
morel mushrooms are deadly poisonous! send them to me so i can dispose of them properly for you. ;)

Locnar

« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2010, 12:56 PM »
Besides being delicious in a variety of dishes, wild morels along with some other varietys can net you some nice cash. If you live near some farmers markets they may actually want to buy them off you. People will suprise you sometimes how much they will pay for wild morels and others. Good way to make some side cash while trampsing through the woods and its good for the kids to make some extra cash to. Given the choice between store buttons, bellas, and shitakes Ill go wild morel all day every day.

Raquettedacker

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2010, 04:47 PM »
I just looked where I found some last year and was happy to find these.. Still small but its a start...

Sometimes we live no particular way but our own.....<br />Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand...<br />\"Dying is the easy part. Learning how to live is the hard part....\"

cnypanfisher

« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2010, 05:00 PM »
I'll swap some walleye filets for some of those yummy mushrooms, my grandfather was a pro at picking them, never had the interest to go with him. I did pick a lot of berries with him though, from strawberries to black caps, blackberries, elderberries, he even had a friend with gooseberry bushes.

cny

Raquettedacker

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2010, 05:10 PM »
The thing is I dont even know what to do with them...  Should I let them get bigger?? How do you cook them???

muskymagic

• Northernnyice on iceshanty.
« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2010, 01:07 PM »
What did you use for bait for those bad boys? How deep? Never caught one of them before  ;)

Locnar

« Reply #13 on: May 13, 2010, 02:45 PM »
I like to cut Morels up with an exacto knife and cut them very thin. Then saute in butter/olive oil+garlic+S&P, real simple dont overcook and lay them right over your favorite meat. Beef and wild game work very well with these tasty treats. O ya if you want a simple sauce do the same saute, but add like 3/4 cup chicken stock, bring to a slight boil then add a little corn starch and reduce and simmer for a few minutes and you have your very own basic mushroom sauce, whcih can go on just about anything.

Madpuppy

• HOWASAPA
« Reply #14 on: May 13, 2010, 03:24 PM »
The thing is I dont even know what to do with them...  Should I let them get bigger?? How do you cook them???
I cut the stump off at the dirt line then half them long ways, wash em real good then soak them in milk and egg. I bread them with seasoned flour and fry in butter in a frying pan. MMMMMMGOOD!!!
I'D RATHER BE HATED FOR WHO I AM,
THAN LOVED FOR WHO I'M NOT.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.