FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: My 2012 Open Water Season.  (Read 11983 times)

Water Wolf

• BE YOURSELF - everyone else is taken.
Re: My 2012 Open Water Season.
« Reply #30 on: Aug 26, 2012, 04:13 PM »
Thank you waterwolf603,  Raquettedacker & striper50trout.  :)

What is a loony?
In my post I misspelled it, it should be loonie. :whistling:

A loonie is our Canadian $1.00 coin.
It has a loon on the front, hence the name loonie. ;)

I also have another report, so hear it goes.

Hi guys,

Here is my fishing report for 2 days spent at the lake this week. My destination was, as usual, Fishing Lake, for some shore fishing.

The weather for both days was nice with sunny skies, but stronger winds and white caps on the water for most of the time.
It only calmed for an hour on the first day just before dark. Once it got calm and dark the mosquitoes really came out and eventually forced me off the shoreline.

The water was alot more clear this time, with only a  fine algae, and visibility a good couple of feet down. Along the shore I could see the bottom quite well.

The fishing was not bad the 2 days with both walleye and pike biting.  The peak time was closer to dark.
In the end I found 16 pike and 6 walleye for a total of 22 fish for the 2 days.

The walleye on average were a bit smaller this time with 1 - 1.5 lb fish the more common catch.  I did get one that would be 2lbs.
The pike were 1.5 - 3lb on average. With the biggest at  24.5" or roughly 4.2 lbs. :)

Here are a few photos from the 2 days action.

This is the big fish of the trip.
It had kind of an odd coloration on the bottom of it and more so on one side
than the other.

In the end I was satisfied with the 2 day results and now look forward to see what the fall fishing brings. :azn:

WW

muskyon46

• Just passin on a family tradition
« Reply #31 on: Aug 26, 2012, 08:54 PM »
Looks like you had a good time. To bad the wind had to spoil it a bit, gotta luv the W.

Raquettedacker

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #32 on: Aug 27, 2012, 06:49 AM »
Way to make the best of it WW.... :thumbup_smilie: :thumbup_smilie:
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own.....<br />Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand...<br />\"Dying is the easy part. Learning how to live is the hard part....\"

striper50trout

• Fish hard, live long!
« Reply #33 on: Aug 27, 2012, 07:39 AM »
"In my post I misspelled it, it should be loonie. :whistling:
A loonie is our Canadian $1.00 coin.
It has a loon on the front, hence the name loonie. ;)"

Ah, never been to Canada.

Good report. I would be satisfied with 22 fish in two days. I'm having a tough time this summer. Can't wait for fall

Water Wolf

« Reply #34 on: Aug 31, 2012, 06:09 PM »
Thanks guys. ;)

Looks like you had a good time. To bad the wind had to spoil it a bit, gotta luv the W.
It  seems that wind is a constant when you fish in Sask. and there area alot more windy days than not. ::)

[quote author=striper50trout
 Ah, never been to Canada.

Good report. I would be satisfied with 22 fish in two days. I'm having a tough time this summer. Can't wait for fall
[/quote]
Good luck this fall. :)

Hi guys,

Here is my 2 day shore fishing report for Aug.27th & 28th from my usual spot on Fishing Lake.

I fished from 4:00pm to 7:20pm the first day and had to quit due to mosquitoes (avoiding West Nile Virus hopefully). ::)

The weather that afternoon was nice with a light S breeze and small waves. The water still has a fine algae but nothing like it was a while ago.

After I had a late bite to eat I thought I would try the lake at dark. I hardly ever fish at night so tried my luck to see what might happen.
The lake is very calm with with moon glistening over the dark water.  I fish for an hour (from 1030 - 1130 PM) and during that time I have a tap and net 2 walleye.

The 2nd day was warmer with alot more wind and white caps on the water. I fished for a few hours in the morning and then went out again for an hour just before dark.

Over the 2 day the fish were biting OK and I did manage to get fish on back to back casts at one point. 
For the most part the walleye averaged 1 - 2 lbs and the pike were a bit larger this time at 2 - 4.

In the end I caught and released 14 pike and 9 walleye.

The fish hit on various spoons, swimbaits and a lipless crankbait.

Here are a few photos.

Here is a shot of the moon on the lake.

The night walleye:

This is my biggest walleye of the 2 days at 21"x10" / 3.5 lbs

It's not really that long but quite chunky.

This is the 2nd biggest pike at 25" / 4.5 lbs.

This is the big fish of the trip at 28.5" x 10" / 6.6  lbs.

This is my smallest fish this season. :w00t:

This wee one attacked the lure with the same savagery as the larger fish of his species, no fear, lol.
 I hope it's is a future trophy fish. ;D

In conclusion I enjoyed the time I had at the lake and was glad to make it out one more time before fall. ;)

WW

striper50trout

• Fish hard, live long!
« Reply #35 on: Sep 01, 2012, 08:38 AM »
Nice couple outings. Those are some healthy looking pike.
Do you ever catch bass in that lake?

The Reel Deal

• Early Worm Gets The Lunker
« Reply #36 on: Sep 20, 2012, 12:48 PM »
Great fish buddy! Looks like you reely like your walleye and pike! haha

Water Wolf

« Reply #37 on: Oct 03, 2012, 04:02 AM »
Thanks The Reel Deal & striper50trout.  :)

For the most part the fish are quite healthy but you will see in my next adventure I find one not so good.
There is only one lake in SK. that is warm enough to have largemouth bass and a very remote lake that has smallmouths.
They are not a common catch here.

The most abundant bass species in SK. is the rockbass, found in a few lakes and rivers.

Yeah the reel deal I do like pike and walleye alot, plus they are some of the more common fish species we have here. ;)

Hi all,

Here is my fishing report for the month of Sept.

My first report is from Sept.16. I was returning from a show in the SE corner of SK.
On my way home I stopped for half an hour at the Qu'Appelle River to see what was biting.
I was hoping for a channel catfish.

It was a cloudy and cool evening.

I fished with a pickerel rig for most of the time but didn't get a bite. I see a few fish jumping down stream.
The last 5 min I changed my rig for a swimbait and started to cast. In the final 2 min I got a strike and wrestled a pike out of the water.

The fish had not bad length to it but hardly any weight. By it's length this fish should have been in the 3 lb range but it was just around 1.5 lbs
with a big head, small body, and sunken stomach area.

This poor fish either had a major dose of tapeworms robbing it's body of all the nutrients, a rubber jig in it's stomach making it feel full or it can't find enough food in the river. :-\ 

I returned it to the river and ended my fishing on a positive note.

The 2nd set of fishing reports is for Sept. 23rd and 24th.
On these 2 days I am again back at my usual spot to see if shore fishing is still holding up.

Both days had good weather with nice summer-like temps, sunny skies and some wind that eased off near sun set.

On the first day I fished from 4:30pm to 7:30 pm and on the 2nd day from 3:00pm - 7:20pm.

The fish were still around my area both days and the fishing was decent, with hits often enough to keep you on your toes.
At the end of the 2 days I caught and released 8 walleye and 19 pike. 
On both days I had fish on back to back casts and also had a couple pike follow right to the shore and strike just as I paused the lure before lifting it from the water.

Here are a few shots of the 2 trips.
First fish of Day 1.

A few photos of some of the fish.

This pike has a deep scar like dint near it's pelvic fin and along it's back.

As the moon rose,

the sun set.

Day 2.
Fist fish for the 2nd day.

I took a snap shot of this squadron of anglers setting out to fish for the day.
There was 15 in this flock but, they came by me so fast I just got these 4

This horned grebe and it's buddy fished beside me all afternoon, not nervous of me at all.

In one instance I watched it follow my lure under the water, that was neat to see, but I am glad it didn't grab
the lure.
What a mess that would be. :blink:

A few more fish photos from the afternoon.

The fish went for spoons, swimbaits and I even caught a few on a jig and minnow under a float.

In the end I was happy with the results and the nice weather I had these last 2 days.
 I am hoping the fall bite continues. :)

My next fishing excursions were on Sept. 28th and 29th.

On the first day I decide to try a new area so I set off for Theodore / Whitesand Reservoir.

The weather is nice with summer-like temps, just a light breeze and sunny skies.

Not far from the reservoir we come across 3 moose in a field {2 cows and a nice bull}.

I try and snap a shot of the bull before he exits, stage left.

As I arrive there were a few boats leaving, and the anglers from the boats chatted with me for a bit.
They told me that they saw alot of fish on their fish detectors all over the reservoir but, could not get them to bite no matter what they tried, not good news. :unsure:

Despite the poor results I would give it a try anyway. As I started fishing I noticed the reservoir looks lower than it normally is and, was quite algae filled.

I fished from 3:40pm until 7:00pm and in that time I landed one pike around the 1.5 lb range, had another throw the hook not far from me, and, had one walleye follow
the lure right to shore but would not grab it.

Here are a few shots from the area.
The afternoon catch.

A shot of the moon and still waters.

After eating I decide that I would try some night shore fishing so I make a swing past Fishing Lake, and fish from 10:00pm - 11:00pm.

The night is quite calm with just a few small waves on the lake and with the almost full moon + clear skies it was quite bright, hopefully the walleye would
think so too.

They did, and after an hour of shore fishing I land 4 walleye, before hitting for home. :)

This is the big one, at a bit over 2 lbs.

It was quite chunky, must be eating well.

The next day we decide that we want to see an area we haven't been this year, so we make our way to the Hudson Bay / Mc.Bride Lake area.

The weather was awesome with temps in the +28. deg C / 82.4 deg F range, not what I would expect for late Sept here in SK., but, would gladly take is as it could be one of the last warm days of the year. 8)

My goal was to fish a few of the lakes in rapid succession only stopping for half an hour or so at each one, but, before I did that I stopped at Fishing Lake for half an hour on the way by and found one pike that was a few lbs.

On the way to the other lakes we stopped to watch this big boy for a bit.

He was in no hurry to move and gave his best impression of a rock. :laugh:

Parr Hill Lake is the first stop - no fish in the half hour.
PeePaw Lake was a bit too weedy to fish effectively off shore so I didn't stop to fish it. 
Saginas Lake was the next stop and on my 3 cast I had a nibble. 
I cast out and the fish hit again and was hooked, {yeah fish on}. A feisty little pike was the results.
The fish were a bit more aggressive here and I landed 2 more and had another 2 throw the hook, not bad.

Here are the 3 pike.

This region of SK. has some great scenery and with the fall colors it's really enhanced.

My last stop in this area is at Mc.Bride Lake. The fish are not active, but I am not worried as I take in the evening surroundings. I can hear folks talking on the boat in the distance, the splash of jumping fish, the buzz of the mosquitoes and black flies, {not the best sound} and the calls of the birds on the water and in the forest around the lake.

I also stay long enough to watch the sun set and see the moon rise.

On the way home I swing one more time past Fishing Lake and stop for another half hour to fish.
The time is from 11:00pm 11:30pm and the moon again is sparkling on the water, but this time with a stronger wind.
The fish are a bit more reluctantly this time but, I do end up with another walleye for my effort.
It's nice end to a fun 2 days. :)

The pike were in the 1.5 - 2 lb range and the walleye were 1.5 - 2.5 lbs. All the fish went back.

The lures of choice were again spoons and swimbaits.

All in all Sept. was a good month for me and I was happy to see the areas I did.
I hope some of the big girls come to play before ice up. :whistling:

WW

striper50trout

• Fish hard, live long!
« Reply #38 on: Oct 03, 2012, 11:57 AM »
Nice report and pics as usual.  Man it looks like a beautiful, prestine area to fish. 

Fat Boy

• MFF Mod Team
  • Team Mason-Dixon
« Reply #39 on: Oct 04, 2012, 09:29 PM »
Yeah, I'll say.  Beautiful spots WW.  Nice pics and fish, and thanks for the report.  Very cool.

Water Wolf

« Reply #40 on: Oct 09, 2012, 06:40 PM »
Thanks for the replies FB & striper50trout. :)

We do have many areas in SK. that you can still feel like your the first person to visit, it's not the case,but it can feel like it. ;)

Hi guys,

Here is my shore fishin' report for my first trip in October (on the 7th).

On this day a family member and friend joined me on my excursion. They didn't plan on fishing, but were happy just to take in the sights and sounds in the area we were going to, (Good Spirit Lake).

We stopped at the first spot we came to and I fished from 2:15 pm - 3:05 pm.

It was a cool and cloudy afternoon with a slight wind from the W.

At this first area the water was quite shallow and I could walk a fair way out with just my rubber boots.
Hip or chest waders would really get a person a long way out into the lake.
The water was quite clear with a pure fine sand bottom with streaks of purple here and there.

This area was quite scenic, but, seemed to have no fish.  I had no strikes at all. :-\

The 2nd spot I tried was a bit further up the lake and I fished there from 4:05pm - 6:00pm.

This area was a bit deeper and had more structure on the bottom. It was also a bit softer bottom, so I didn't walk out this time. The water was darker.

When I got there I notice an item in the water and I fish it out with my hook.  It turned out to be a set of bells that anglers attach to their
rod so they hear when a fish strikes. They don't jingle as loud as they use to but still work a bit.

Fifteen min into fishing and I feel at tap, finally, so I cast back to the area and a fish strikes.  As I get close to landing the fish I realize that I forgot my net at home, sheesh. :P
I am now forced to land it by hand.

As I release the fish and think, now would be the time to get a big fish, and me with out the net. ::)

A few casts later and I feel another tap, I let the spoon I am using flutter and feel a good strike, I set the hook and the fight is on.
When this fish struck it struck hit hard and kept on going. I moved down the beach to keep up with it, stopping with I could not go any further, but the fish kept on going and by then it had taken 3 / 4 of my line.  I gingerly applied some pressure and began to reel, gaining some line. When the fish felt it was getting too close it again went for a line burning run followed by a few wallows on the surface. After the 5th time of more than half my line being lost and recovered I finally got it close to see that it was a pike and it looked big. It burned off 2 more times before I was able to get it near my feet.  Without my net I had no choice but to try and gently grab it by hand.
When I got it as shallow as it could go, I gave my buddy the rod and I tried to scoop it up with a belly lift and tail grab, she was just too big and slippery and she shot off again almost tangling the line around my legs.  My next try was under the belly and just holding the gill covers, this hold works, and I am able lift her up. :)

She was indeed a large pike, with a thick girth and good length. She also had just a few scars on her head and back from some hardship in her life in the past.
She posed for one photo and a measurement and then I sent her on her way.
She thanks me by splashing water and muck my way, before shooting off for deeper water.

Her measurements were 38" x 16". ;D

Ten minuets after the big one, I get another strike, and land another pike.

This one is no slouch either.

After this fish the clouds really start to get heavy and it began to rain. This turned the fishing right off and I didn't get any more bites casting that evening.

Ten min before we leave I decided to try my new float I had with me, so I set it up and cast out and wait. There is nothing until I was just going to bring it in. As I do so I feel a tap and the end result was this walleye.

It was nice eater size walleye and was a good way to end the evening. 8)

The hot lures were a spoon for the pike and a dead minnow and drop shot rig, under the set float, for the walleye.

I also somehow caught a steel leader and later on another spoon, so they were a bonus.
The spoon was in the water for some time and was a bit corroded but I have buffed and polished it up and have now applied a black coat of paint to it on both sides.
I also painted an orange eye on it and dots down the middle on both sides. I though Halloween colors would be appropriate given the month I found the spoon. The black color should make a good lure for dark water or low light conditions and the contrasting orange eye should add something for the fish to target, I will see if it works or not.

To conclude Good Spirit Lake was good to me on this trip and I hope to try it again.
Since this was our Thanksgiving weekend I am thankful that my family and friend were able to come fishing with me and
I was fortunate enough to catch and release nice big fish. :azn:

I hope all of you had a good Canadian Thanksgiving / Columbus Day long weekend as well. ;)

WW

The Reel Deal

• Early Worm Gets The Lunker
« Reply #41 on: Oct 09, 2012, 11:14 PM »
Great pics!

striper50trout

• Fish hard, live long!
« Reply #42 on: Oct 10, 2012, 04:14 PM »
Nice pike!

Water Wolf

« Reply #43 on: Oct 18, 2012, 01:14 AM »
Thanks The Reel Deal & striper50trout.

Hi all,
Here is my shore fishing report for Sunday Oct. 14th at my usual spot on Fishing Lake.

I fish from 2:10pm until 6:15pm which by then is quite dark.

The weather on this day is quiet nice with sunny skies, mild temps {at least for this time of year} and just a bit of a wind from the NW.
The water itself is still a bit algae filled but seems to clear once the wind calms near evening.

There was not a soul to be seen, not on the water or in the area, the only sounds out there were the bird life, and, there was quite a bit of that.
A flock of snow & blue geese were resting in a bay a bit N of me. The flock was quite large and they filled the whole bay and a good portion surrounding it.
In the late afternoon the geese leave the lake and feed at some of the grain fields around the area.

Towards evening the snows & blues returned to the same bay, and the ruckus started again. :laugh:

Incoming!!! :w00t:

The fishing was good on this afternoon with 10 pike caught. ;D

Here is the first fish of the day.

It was caught 10min into the fishing.

The action continues off and on for the next 2 hours, by then I am up to 7 pike, when the action totally shuts off until evening, where I pick up the last 3 fish.

Most of the pike are like the first fish, but I do find 2 that are a bit larger.

This is the big one of the day at 28" and 5 lbs on the digital scale. :)

I have not kept a fish in quite a few trips so this one stayed with me, but the others went back.
It was also the last fish I would catch that day.

Spoons were my go-to lure, as they usually are, and, on this day the pike hit a Len Thompson spoon, Pk flutter fish and my custom painted black and orange spoon.
As you can see, the custom spoon was the one the biggest fish went for, just at sunset.

To conclude I was happy with the fishing that afternoon and the nice temps on that day. 8)

I am not sure how many more open water trips are in store for me, only time and the weather will tell. ;)

WW

Raquettedacker

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #44 on: Oct 23, 2012, 07:27 AM »
Some great pike WW..   Way to go.. :thumbup_smilie:
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own.....<br />Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand...<br />\"Dying is the easy part. Learning how to live is the hard part....\"

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.