FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Need info on small Western NY lakes  (Read 2186 times)

rhymobot

Need info on small Western NY lakes
« on: Mar 18, 2015, 11:13 AM »
Hi.

I'm from Ontario and our bass season doesn't open till late June. Can't even fish for them. Last year I happened to be in Central Jersey and NYC area of NY in May and June. I fished 7 different lakes and caught LMB, SMB and chain picks (new to me) in all lakes. It felt so good to be catching bass while everyone at home couldn't.

So since I live fairly close to the border, I was thinking of checking out some small lakes in May so I can scratch that itch well before bass opens up here. I have done a bunch of research on the DEC's site and found 5 lakes. However, the info online from forums is fairly scarce, which is a good thing for you locals. However, if I drive 2 hours to these spots, I would like to catch more than just dinks. I want to know if it is fairly common to catch 2lb+ bass in these lakes.

As I am a guest, I don't want to burn any spots for you guys so I won't name the lakes but let's say they are anywhere from close to Niagara and SW from there.

I'm hoping you guys could PM me and let me know what kind of sizes I could expect for the bass. And hopefully you know which lakes I am talking about. I have an 11 foot inflatable with 30lb trolling motor so I'm limited to small lakes.

Thanks.

Mac Attack

Re: Need info on small Western NY lakes
« Reply #1 on: Mar 18, 2015, 11:53 AM »
Not really sure why you would intentionally fish for bass.
They aren't very tough to catch, taste like @$*^&%$, etc.
Erie is your best bet really.
Loaded with SMB.
Buffalo's harbor areas is loaded with them.
The darn things probably outnumber the sheapshead.
 :D

Chautauqua has tons of bass.
I used to fish them a lot in the narrows near the state launch.

Silver, Honeoye and Conesus all have them in them too.

Good luck.

Remember - only C&R. until 3rd Saturday in June.

Here's a link to the regs, etc.

http://www.dec.ny.gov/outdoor/fishing.html

rhymobot

« Reply #2 on: Mar 18, 2015, 12:29 PM »
Lol. Wouldn't know! Have never kept a fish for myself in my life.

FishinNY

« Reply #3 on: Mar 18, 2015, 01:39 PM »
Loaded with SMB.

Good luck.

:rotflol: :clapping:
A lot of places will just be losing the ice before then. The bass will be very sluggish, and IMO, not worth the drive until the water heats up.
I am Muskies Inc.

rhymobot

« Reply #4 on: Mar 18, 2015, 02:34 PM »
That's a good point. Last year had tonnes of snow but wasn't as cold. I was fishing Jersey right in the middle of May and finished up my trip fishing at a small lake just north of Buffalo on June 2nd. This time there is definitely more ice.

I fished a total of 8 times and caught at least a 1.5lb bass every time. However, three of those outings was just the one bass. While others resulted in 5 or more. One day I actually landed 9 and lost 14 in the roots of the lily pads. And one of the trips was to a small lake 1 hour north of NYC and I caught 10 but they were all sub 1lb, which is what I'm afraid of if I go to WNY to an unknown lake. One of the lakes is very close to the border. Two others are on the way to PA and is just over 2 hours drive.

I hate it when starting mid May the weather is glorious and I'm walking by creeks or lakes and I can see ol' bucketmouth chilling nearby and there's nothing I can do about it. And then I start jonesing for some bass fishing. And that's why I am willing to give it a shot in WNY. If I can catch 3 fish over 2lbs and some dinks I'd be a happy man. If I caught a hundred fish but all dinks, I'd be disappointed. So that's why I'm looking for info on these particular spots regarding bass size. The DEC site says there's good population but I want quality to go with the quantity.

Oh and also, I don't mind chucking some lures for the pike and tigers once in a while. And some trolling too. Plus I've never caught a musky before. And where I live we don't have tiger musky at all, and they would be more manageable with my gear.

jeffro9023

« Reply #5 on: Mar 18, 2015, 07:08 PM »
Loaded with SMB.

Good luck.

Smallmouth bass tasting like crap is a personal opnion. Many people enjoy a bass or 3 once in a while
Where can I catch a crappie? Thanks in advance

stratos122

« Reply #6 on: Mar 18, 2015, 07:22 PM »
Lake Alice in Waterport has some nice size small mouths and all kinds of different species. i don't fish it much it anymore though since i have my bigger boat i go out in lake Erie for the big smallies and the finger lakes. When i did fish there regular i would do alright for bass and catch a eye or two.

Mac Attack

« Reply #7 on: Mar 18, 2015, 08:16 PM »
Smallmouth bass tasting like crap is a personal opnion. Many people enjoy a bass or 3 once in a while

It was tongue and cheek.
Look further in my post and you'll see I fish for them.

But they still taste like @$*^&%$.

(never said "crap")

;)

jeffro9023

« Reply #8 on: Mar 18, 2015, 09:18 PM »
It was tongue and cheek.
Look further in my post and you'll see I fish for them.

But they still taste like @$*^&%$.

(never said "crap")

;)

I stand corrected you never said crap  :D....Any of the finger lakes will get you into smallies action for sure as well

jeffro9023

« Reply #9 on: Mar 18, 2015, 09:24 PM »
Im a little spoiled when I can hook up the boat drive down to the launch and be catching Lake Erie smallies in about 30min  ;D

davejohnson2

« Reply #10 on: Mar 18, 2015, 09:25 PM »
whole north end of cayuga is loaded with bass probably one of the best finger lakes for LMB, but thats a bit of a drive for you. with your boat you could easily fish redhouse lake in alaghenny state park lots of bass in that lake too

fishinjohn

« Reply #11 on: Mar 19, 2015, 06:33 PM »
whole north end of cayuga is loaded with bass probably one of the best finger lakes for LMB, but thats a bit of a drive for you. with your boat you could easily fish redhouse lake in alaghenny state park lots of bass in that lake too
and if red house doesn't produce, quaker lake is just over the hill and has some really good bass/pike fishing as well! Literally 10 min apart

FISHNIK

« Reply #12 on: Mar 28, 2015, 04:20 PM »
Lake Erie's special trophy season is 1st Sat. in May til the Fri.before the 3rd Sat. in June,any time before that it's catch and release only!1fish 20"and up.

FN

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.