FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Crawfish recipie?  (Read 17091 times)

massNtrash

Crawfish recipie?
« on: Apr 19, 2013, 01:28 PM »
OK I live in Wyoming above 7000 ft so it's not exactly crawfish country but there is one lake that has some in it. Catching them isn't a problem I have caught quite a few just for fun then let them go again. So since I'm not familiar with them I'm looking for advice on how to clean/ prepare them. Any recipes would be greatly appreciated.
Rippin Lips!

OTIS

Re: Crawfish recipie?
« Reply #1 on: Apr 22, 2013, 07:05 AM »
We used to buy them 30# at a time back in New Orleans so this recipe can be scaled down, or you can add additional local seafood to the pot (shrimp, scallops, clams, etc...).  Get a pot (we used a 80 qt with a strainer and a jet burner) fill 3/4 with water and add 8 oz of liquid and one packet of powdered Zaterans Crab Boil.  Bring to a boil for a couple minutes and add little potatoes, whole onions, whole cloves of garlic, corn on the cob (break a cob in half), cocktail weenies, and whatever else you'd like and let them cook until the potatoes are almost done.  Then add in the seafood and cook until done.  then turn off the burner and let it sit for 15 minutes or so.

Just an FYI, the crawfish they get down there are a different species and much larger than the variety we have up north.

Check out http://www.lacrawfish.com/ for crab boil and other recipes.
'If we ever forget that we are One Nation Under God, then we will be a nation gone under.' -- Ronald Reagan

'Republicans believe every day is the Fourth of July, but the democrats believe every day is April 15.' -- Ronald Reagan

massNtrash

« Reply #2 on: Apr 22, 2013, 09:54 AM »
Thank you very much ill have to give it a try ;D
Rippin Lips!

Fishermantim

• I go where the water takes me!
« Reply #3 on: Jul 30, 2014, 12:35 PM »
....Just an FYI, the crawfish they get down there are a different species and much larger than the variety we have up north....

I don't know, as I have seen some rather large crawfish here in New England.
The only real difference as far as appearance goes is that norther crawfish look more like mini lobsters than southern crawfish.
I can only presume that they may taste different as well, based on the environment in which they live (sandy/rocky bottom compared to muddy.)

You can find them easily enough, but you need to find structure to find the biggest ones.
"God is playing to an audience that's afraid to laugh" (George Burns from "Oh, GOD")

"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy!" - The Existential Blues

TrentBill

« Reply #4 on: Dec 16, 2017, 05:10 AM »
Nothing beats a good crawfish recipe. :)

zwiggles

« Reply #5 on: Dec 16, 2017, 07:42 AM »
I don't know, as I have seen some rather large crawfish here in New England.
The only real difference as far as appearance goes is that norther crawfish look more like mini lobsters than southern crawfish.
I can only presume that they may taste different as well, based on the environment in which they live (sandy/rocky bottom compared to muddy.)

You can find them easily enough, but you need to find structure to find the biggest ones.

They are different species. Down south they have hundreds of different species. They are not the same as the ones we have in New England.

Raquettedacker

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #6 on: Dec 16, 2017, 09:41 AM »
How ever you cook them make sure there well done... ;)
Saw an episode on Monsters Inside Me
and a guy got pretty sick...... :o
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own.....<br />Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand...<br />\"Dying is the easy part. Learning how to live is the hard part....\"

Mac Attack

« Reply #7 on: Dec 16, 2017, 09:55 AM »

Get a pot (we used a 80 qt with a strainer and a jet burner) fill 3/4 with water and add 8 oz of liquid

liquid WHAT?

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.