FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Consumer Alert! Boat N RV Warehouse  (Read 71626 times)

bwalleye

• OK, just follow my nose
Re: Consumer Alert! Boat N RV Warehouse
« Reply #165 on: May 21, 2006, 12:51 AM »
You just confirmed my point of view. You state that if you put used shingles on my roof when paying for new ones, would I be satisfied?  So if that was the case and you put used shingles on, would the manufacturer of the shingles be responsible for what you did? I think not.  The dealer holds the responsibility for this mans problems, not the manufacturers. As I said before though. The manufacturers should follow thru and make sure the dealer corrects all problems, or the dealership's franchises should be taken away.

I disagree.  A franchise is MUCH different than the illustration of purchasing shingles. The point of the statement I believe is that one should get what is paid for. Shoddy car dealships can lose their franchise if enough complaints are filed.  The business on the hot seat is an AUTHORIZED dealer.  Many manufacturers sell only through their approved dealerships.  That approval can be removed.

camo_fish

• Heeeeere Fishy, Fishy, Fishy
« Reply #166 on: May 21, 2006, 12:55 AM »
I disagree.  A franchise is MUCH different than the illustration of purchasing shingles. The point of the statement I believe is that one should get what is paid for. Shoddy car dealships can lose their franchise if enough complaints are filed.  The business on the hot seat is an AUTHORIZED dealer.  Many manufacturers sell only through their approved dealerships.  That approval can be removed.
So true and it looks like this dealer is on the fence.  :evil:
Fishing isn't a matter of life or death, it's much more important than that!

I live with FEAR everyday, and sometimes she lets me go fishing!

tommyboy

« Reply #167 on: May 21, 2006, 01:40 AM »
Wow, I just read through this entire thread and I am shocked at what has happened to you bussman.  I hope it ends up working out for you in the end.

I should also point out that this thread has become a textbook example as to why you shouldn't trust any legal advice that you can find on a public forum.

First of all, as to replacing only the lower unit, it is more likely than not that Merc is acting well within their rights.  Many have said what they "should" or "should not" be doing, but my guess is that they will do what they are obligated to do, which is to cure the defective parts.  As the magnitude of the defect is not off the charts (the manufacturer or dealer gets to determine the magnitude, anyway), they have a right to cure the defect within a reasonable time.  Also, if you are not satified with Merc's plans to replace only the lower unit, you should get yourself an attorney immediately.  Even though skipping the dealer and going straight to the manufacturer seems like the most reasonable thing to do in this situation, you may be foreclosing any future legal remedy you have against the dealer, as you are (understandably) not giving them an opportunity to cure.  If you want more, an attorney can pour over the limited warranty and dealership agreement and see what other remedies you may have. 

Also, although its really not that relevant to bussman's problems, a lot has been said in this thread about dealerships and franchises.  A dealership, what this RV place likely is, is not an equivalent to a franchise.  For example, if I go to McDonalds and pour coffee all over myself, I can sue the owner of that particular franchise and the McDonalds corporation as its parent.  If I went into this crappy RV dealer and poured coffee all over myself, I could sue the dealer, but not Merc.

Anyway, good luck bussman.
Bragging may not bring happiness, but no man having caught a large fish goes home through an alley.

beaverfsu

« Reply #168 on: May 21, 2006, 07:54 AM »
A quote from the above link to RV.net Open Roads forum

All I know is that some one purchsed a new pontoon boat from them and it was stolen off there lot. Lawyers - insurance companys and BoatN Rv ran these people through the ringer.Finally after a very long pierod of time and hassel BNRV did step up to the plate and handle it. All the menbers from A forum on the Pontoon deck boat magazine website hammered the dealer with e-mails and phone calls I thinked that helped.I would never do business with these people pierod!

bussman

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #169 on: May 21, 2006, 09:00 AM »
Thanks Beaverfsu!

Who paid these lawyers? How long did it take? Is this the only way to go about getting what you pay Boat N RV for? I could go on and on. I have asked most of these questions and I am not 100% sure even after speaking to my attorney that I am doing the right thing. I am following his advice and he is a good attorney! He wants to see me get satisfaction without having to drag it into litigation. He sees the value in getting this done without going to court and is looking out for "MY" best interest. A lot of lawyers would drag this straight into court and I would wind up with no boat for a long time. Keep in mind the option of going to litigation is not being ignored. He just wants to see me get the best results in the shortest amount of time without throwing a ton of money into this. He agrees I have spent enough already and he is also hoping that the manufactures can handle this so he doesn't have to!

Boat N RV has to be held accountable some how whether it be through a court, the manufactures, group of people who refuse to buy from them or all of the above. All I know is, I want my boat back in the best condition I can get it now and some time before fall. I think this is the exact emotion Boat N RV takes advantage of on a daily basis!

They sell a product that is supposed to be for fun and relaxation. Who wants to ruin that experience with attorneys and months or even years after of figthing? If and when I start litigation with Boat N RV its going to cost me time and money. This is not what I expected when I bought products form these well know and respected Manufactures. After all, the dealer does wind up representing the manufacture thought the sale of their products. I sure hope Mercury and Smokercraft makes this right and then winds up making Boat N RV answer for the mess they had to clean up.

I thought boats were supposed to be a hole in the water to throw money into not out of??  ::)

cnyiceguy

« Reply #170 on: May 21, 2006, 10:00 AM »
This is one of the beauties of the Internet. Years ago if someone screwed you over, how could you let other people know? Word of mouth traveled very slowly. With sites like this, news has the potential to reach millions of people in a flash. If I ran a business, I can't imagine ripping someone off now days. All it would take is a few key strokes from a PO'd customer and your business could be history. I have tried to deal with B-n-RV and was totally disappointed. They had a boat  I was interested in listed on their website as being in-stock. I called all the dealers to find out which one had it, so I could come and look at it. Nobody could tell me where it was, or if it was in-stock at all. They all said they would call me back once they found it. Nobody ever called. I just gave up and went to another dealer.

bussman

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #171 on: May 21, 2006, 11:13 AM »
I found this on the NY AG's web site a few days ago:

Question: I purchased what I believed to be a new car only to learn after the sale that, prior to the sale, the dealer had removed the trunk lid, replaced it with a damaged lid and repaired the damaged lid. Am I entitled to cancel the contract and receive a refund?
S.T., EAST SYRACUSE, NEW YORK
Answer: General Business Law § 396-p(5) requires that, prior to the sale and delivery of a new car, a retail dealer provide written notification to the consumer of any physical damage repairs with a retail value in excess of five percent of the manufacturer's or distributor's suggested retail price performed after shipment from the manufacturer to the dealer. The dollar amount of the repair includes the cost of the retail charge for parts and labor, at the dealer's stated labor rate. If the dealer provides notice of repairs, the consumer may cancel the purchase order and receive a refund of the deposit. If the dealer does not notify the consumer of prior repairs, the consumer is entitled to a full refund of the purchase price, any trade-in allowance plus fees and charges within four months after the date of purchase.
Consumer Tip:

If the dealer does not provide notice of repairs and refuses to make a refund, you should obtain at least one estimate from an independent body shop as to the amount of damage as soon as you become aware of the problem. If the estimate exceeds five percent of the suggested retail price, you should present this evidence to the dealer and demand a refund under § 396-p(5). If the dealer still refuses to make a refund, file a complaint with the Consumer Frauds and Protection Bureau, which will attempt to resolve the problem through mediation or, if a pattern of complaints exists against the dealer, by legal action. You may also wish to consult with a private attorney to discuss the availability of other rights and remedies.

I have decided to sent a email to Mr. Spitzer's office asking where this issue would fall under. I also included a link to this thread.

I am also typing a formal request to Boat N RV asking for a full history of this boat and a full refund.

bigredfishing

• Screw the BS, let's go fishing.
« Reply #172 on: May 22, 2006, 12:12 PM »
I was there when this whole mess started.  It was a nice looking boat when it was in the showroom.  The motor looked fine.

They offered George an unbelivabe price, and he took it. It was supposed to come with a cover, bimini type top and side curtains.

There alot of other stuff that is going on with this deal that is not being brought up. 

Boat-n-RV sucks.

I have been telling EVERYONE I KNOW about this and this thread particularly.  There was a few prospective new RV and Boat buyers that will not go anywhere near that place now. ;)

applejacks

« Reply #173 on: May 22, 2006, 02:11 PM »
After reading this thread, you can count me in  the group that will avoid the place. If mercury doesn't replace the motor, they are off my list too.

Fishingking

« Reply #174 on: May 22, 2006, 03:31 PM »
Personally I have been loooking at a Mercury for my next engine purchase (because I always got the impression they were a better motor) but if they do not resolve this issue I will be getting something else.
Team NY 
Was that nice enough for you?

Buckski

• Wish I had more days to fish!
« Reply #175 on: May 22, 2006, 03:33 PM »
I found this on the NY AG's web site a few days ago:

I have decided to sent a email to Mr. Spitzer's office asking where this issue would fall under. I also included a link to this thread.

I am also typing a formal request to Boat N RV asking for a full history of this boat and a full refund.

This is not an isolated case, then the AG will start letigations on your behalf as a group
HAVE YOU NOT LOST ENOUGH TIME, EFFORT AND MONEY BY NOW?
MY BEST FRIEND IS A ATTORNEY, SEND ME A PM!!!!
Get it started early enough and maybe you can fish this year on it.
Best luck
GO SABRES!!!!!
Internet heros give it a rest!

bussman

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #176 on: May 22, 2006, 06:01 PM »
I had to work today but I got a call from Mr. Smoker and his message sounded very positive. I tried to call him back but must have missed him. Hopefully we can talk tomorrow. I am looking forward to it. I also got a reply from the AG office telling me which form I needed to use and a email from the BoatU.S. Consumer Protection Bureau saying they have seen this thread and would like me to keep them updated.

Bussman

Grimace

« Reply #177 on: May 22, 2006, 06:20 PM »
alot of poeple in Ontario are buying RV's from these big wharehousing  places in the states now this spring cause the CDN dollar is at 90 cents, so there are some pretty good deals to be had.    they are ordering these RV's from catalogues and getting them shipped up.  can you imagine the crap this guy is sending up north.

I would never make a major purchase from a catalogue, but alot of poeple think it is safe. 

my neighbour across the road did it and his is fine.   i guess he never got it from this place.

beaverfsu

« Reply #178 on: May 22, 2006, 08:20 PM »
..a email from the BoatU.S. Consumer Protection Bureau saying they have seen this thread and would like me to keep them updated.

Bussman

BINGO--Keep up the heat Gentlemen.  Not a bad idea to cross post to the RV sites as well.  As mentioned earlier, the internet is a BEAUtiful thing!

ajwiez2

« Reply #179 on: May 23, 2006, 01:58 AM »
man that place is going to be soooooooo  out of business if this thread keeps going the way that it is . I don't live anywhere near this place but I know that they would have a hard time GIVING me a boat and motor after reading this  stuff . Don't you just love the way integritiy in business has evolved in this  country.Being a small business man myself I encounter this garbage off and on both from coustomers and different businesses that I try to do business with . I have gotten to the point that if I start to encouter any bad vibes from the people that I am talking with I turn and walk away fast ,and don't look back.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.