FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Stupidest mistake?  (Read 57244 times)

spoonfed

Re: Stupidest mistake?
« Reply #60 on: Apr 22, 2006, 02:24 AM »
i bought my first boat site on scene.1967 16ft starcraft w/80h evinrude.450.00.i had the guy run the boat in a tank.ran like a champ.walked around the boat everything looked good.asked him anything wrong, he replies it just need a battery and a new bilge.i think no problem.so i buy it and bring it home.i decide to take it and hang it in the barn sand it down and give it a new paint job.two weeks later after every nite after work working on it i get it put all back together including a new bilge and battery.i took it down to the river near by to take it for a test run. no problems.call my buddy tell him its ready lets go.the next weekend we take off for some salmon fishing (harrisville-lk.huron).launch the boat run out to the fishing grounds (6 miles out).foggy as could be.set lines and start trolling.after a half hour or so of not getting anything we decide to change the setup. my buddy walks back to the board and starts to pull lines.the next thing i hear is him yelling were sinking.i look back and there is water up to his ankles.no problem i'll turn on the bilge.not.i forgot to wire it ??? the only thing we had was 2-20oz coffee cups.we bailed our a** off.we won the battle and continued to fish and bail and bail.when i got it back home i found why the bilge and battery was no good.there was a hair line crack 16" long on the side of the boat.i must of had sucker written all over me the day i bought it. ;D i owned that boat for 5yrs.i wired the bilge. ;D and welded the crack.it caught many a salmon.

definition of a great morning-  screaming drags ; fish on ; double header   TEAM MICH

LilWilly

• Iceshanty-Jigmasterjr
« Reply #61 on: Apr 22, 2006, 06:35 PM »
i was fishing on a dam wall that was about two feet wide, all day we sat and caught nothing finally my rod which i stuck in a crevice bends in half drag screaming. i was so excited i grabbed the rod and went back wards over the dam with the hook set, lost the fish and had to swim with my rod to shore get to  the the edge of the concrete wall and realize theres no where to climb up so i had to swim even further and make my way through sinking muck to get back on land.

bwalleye

• OK, just follow my nose
« Reply #62 on: Apr 23, 2006, 12:53 AM »
End of fishing day..start up the boat..late getting back to camp..WOT for 50 feet..remember the live basket is still in the water with 3 nice pike 1 of which was my youngest son's first pike, a dozen nice perch and assorted gills..all that is left is the rope that held the basket.  Looked for 30 min and more the next day.  gone gone gone.  Made me sick. 

jrelaxin

« Reply #63 on: Apr 23, 2006, 05:24 AM »
well how about a great early morning canoe run at sunrise. All packed ,off early,pond  was like glass.Lugged the canoe  and gear to the shore, chompin at the bit even remebered the extra life vest.........................where are  the paddles...????. still in the shed...grrrrrrrrrrrr..!0 miles round trip  to retrieve them...........wind was up when I got back................no paddles,no fish,........just a good education........... ;D
Donut a day and I'm ready to play
 Dave

PerchandPans

« Reply #64 on: Apr 23, 2006, 10:53 AM »
After a day on the water with my buddy on his boat ,i head home have to work the next day, he stays to troll for bikini's on the pier . I get a call at noon the next day he's 50 miles away with the bikini ,left his boat(19' i/o) beached with the anchor out , possible tornado coming can you take your truck to get it.Get there boat is on shore filled a third of the way with rain water and three foot whitecaps in a protected bay .after two hours of digging a trench in the sand under water with my feet could barely  navigate into the launch  .Not much damage unless you count his g/f catching him with the bikini ...Oooooops!!!!!!!

jo-jos_jigs

« Reply #65 on: May 07, 2006, 02:00 PM »
I had just bought my first boat a few years ago. The second or third time that I took it out the launch was real busy, and I wasn't the fastst at getting it launched because of people parking where they shouldnt be parked. Well, I get it backed up and set my plug on the back of the boat pull my last strap off and start backing up. OOPs the plug fell off into the water. Well, meanwhile there is an impatient older gentleman cussing everyone out waiting to get backed in. He murmered about idiots forgetting plugs yadda yadda....shouldnt be holding everyone up...... So instead of holding him up, I pull off of the ramp so I can dig my spare plug out of the glovebox. He backs his new grizzly in, ties off, pulls his car away drives the boat away. Meanwhile the next guy starts launching and the old guy starts screaming, spins a "j" and comes flying back to shore. Well noone knows why what his problem isuntil the boat bogs and drops outta sight3 feet from shore! The smart guy left his plug out!
To err is human, to forgive is divine......... Neither of which is my policy

Ice Dawg

« Reply #66 on: May 08, 2006, 09:32 AM »
Gee WF, this must explain why my call went to voice mail when I tried calling you this weekend.  ::) ;)
It seems to go from zero to hero all some have to do is lie.

xrhino

• MMMM! Beer!
« Reply #67 on: May 08, 2006, 11:17 AM »
We were pre-fishing for a salmon tournament on Lake Michigan three years ago, and not doing very well.  With three guys in the boat we had nine lines in the water and had been making small changes in our spread and running to different areas all morning.   We were pretty close to running in and re-thinking when we got a triple -- it turned out to be a coho on a dipsey rod and two chinooks on riggers.  We finally found fish!  I ended up with the dipsey rod and was going to have my fish to the boat first.  Anybody who has done this type of fishing knows what sort of pandemonium ensued.  We were passing rods around each other, pulling other lines, and laughing our heads off.  As Kirk and Steve were fighting their kings, I decided to net the smallish coho myself.  I got the extension net in the water and horsed the fish toward the net.  Stupid.  The hook popped out and the dipsey came rocketing back directly into my face.  I came to lying on the deck with a bloody face, and a fuzzy head.  I was only knocked out for a moment, and my buddies, being the quality fisherman that they are, chose to continue fighting their fish.  We got the fish in the cooler and took a look at my face.  I had about an inch long y-shaped gash in the center of my forehead.  It would need stitches, but we were only a day from the tourney and we wanted to fish this new area some more, so we stayed.  The first aid kit, which has since been replaced, had somehow gotten wet at some point in the past.  The gauze, tape, and butterfly bandages were all either moldy or had lost their adhesive.  I was forced to improvise.  I got the bleeding under control which can be a pain with a gash to the head.  I cut off the sleeves of my t shirt and held them on my forehead until the blood stopped.  But what to do now?  I could hear them re-rigging up on deck, but I wasn't going to be able to fish with my hands on my forehead so I had to think of something to attach the shirt sleeves to my face.  I tried a number of things including mono and a gallon size zip-top bag.  I finally came up with what may be my greatest improvisation to date.  I cut the elastic band off my underwear and tied it around my head, Rambo style.  It held the shirt sleeves perfectly.  We finished practicing, I went for stitches, was both laughed at and commended by the ER staff, and we finished in the money.  I still have the bloody dipsey... and the scar.
Pain is weakness leaving the body.

High Chancellor of WIRC and Provost of Potent Potable Procurement

bwalleye

• OK, just follow my nose
« Reply #68 on: May 08, 2006, 10:30 PM »
I made probably the most retarded mistake I've made while fishing ever just this weekend.  Last night had a break-off with something big, lighted bobber started floating.  I went back to the cabin, put-on the waders, and hauled out in the water with the extension net to retrieve my prized bobber.  Thought I'd be able to reach it with the extension net and not get wet.  Yep, I was wrong.  Water 1/4" over the waders probably and soaked me through.  $400 cell phone down the drain that I forgot to take out of my pants :'(

Ouch !

Nearly drowned chasing a downed goose in waders.  Never again!---My cell phone was in a plastic bag---------only because it was raining.  Sorry about your phone.

jayswimmer09

• MUSKY ON!!!!
« Reply #69 on: May 09, 2006, 08:34 AM »
i was fishing for musky and caught a monster. i was so excited i lipped it without even thinking. still got a scar on my fingers

BAZOOKAJOE

« Reply #70 on: Jun 09, 2006, 09:49 AM »
I went salmon fishing in a local river a few years ago in the fall...an hour drive then realize i forgot my wading shoes (which i had just bought).  Had to buy another pair, luckily there was a big sale at a local tackle shop. 

My buddy bought a new ugly stick last year...first cast the end piece of the rod goes flinging off (not pushed together hard enough).   :rotflol:

Polar

« Reply #71 on: Jun 29, 2006, 05:42 PM »
This happened to me a few years back on the Cattaraugus Creek.Got to the launch bright and early set boat up,all gear in. Backed the trailer down the ramp stopped the truck to get out and saw my boat float right off.(In my haste I took the front hook off to be a tad quicker) Now my boat is in the middle of the creek,not a soul around and it drifting towards the lake. What seemed like forever.Luckily another fisherman showed up to fish he put his boat in and ran down the Cattaragus to fetch my boat.

hunters08

« Reply #72 on: Aug 04, 2006, 04:43 PM »
We were pre-fishing for a salmon tournament on Lake Michigan three years ago, and not doing very well.  With three guys in the boat we had nine lines in the water and had been making small changes in our spread and running to different areas all morning.   We were pretty close to running in and re-thinking when we got a triple -- it turned out to be a coho on a dipsey rod and two chinooks on riggers.  We finally found fish!  I ended up with the dipsey rod and was going to have my fish to the boat first.  Anybody who has done this type of fishing knows what sort of pandemonium ensued.  We were passing rods around each other, pulling other lines, and laughing our heads off.  As Kirk and Steve were fighting their kings, I decided to net the smallish coho myself.  I got the extension net in the water and horsed the fish toward the net.  Stupid.  The hook popped out and the dipsey came rocketing back directly into my face.  I came to lying on the deck with a bloody face, and a fuzzy head.  I was only knocked out for a moment, and my buddies, being the quality fisherman that they are, chose to continue fighting their fish.  We got the fish in the cooler and took a look at my face.  I had about an inch long y-shaped gash in the center of my forehead.  It would need stitches, but we were only a day from the tourney and we wanted to fish this new area some more, so we stayed.  The first aid kit, which has since been replaced, had somehow gotten wet at some point in the past.  The gauze, tape, and butterfly bandages were all either moldy or had lost their adhesive.  I was forced to improvise.  I got the bleeding under control which can be a pain with a gash to the head.  I cut off the sleeves of my t shirt and held them on my forehead until the blood stopped.  But what to do now?  I could hear them re-rigging up on deck, but I wasn't going to be able to fish with my hands on my forehead so I had to think of something to attach the shirt sleeves to my face.  I tried a number of things including mono and a gallon size zip-top bag.  I finally came up with what may be my greatest improvisation to date.  I cut the elastic band off my underwear and tied it around my head, Rambo style.  It held the shirt sleeves perfectly.  We finished practicing, I went for stitches, was both laughed at and commended by the ER staff, and we finished in the money.  I still have the bloody dipsey... and the scar.
I feel bad for you but its cracking me up!!!! I guess cause i've had seen those dipsys do that!!!!
If i'm not fishing than i hope i'm turkey hunting!!!

grumpymoe

« Reply #73 on: Aug 04, 2006, 08:35 PM »
several mistakes all in one trip...many moons ago, took my two brother inlaws fishing a remote lake in NW Ontario....nice 18' aluminum canoe....both novices....the newbie 18yr old in the middle....kept asking if he could paddle...fidgety..fidgety all the time we tried to fish...no way!!....next up the following morning was where the bathroom was....."100' straight back of the tent on the log....you wont miss it"....no way I'm taking a dump out in the woods....so I tell him "okay"...hold it then...we're not driving into town just so you can relax on porcelain...so he holds it for the longweekend lmao....next morning we figure there is something simple he can do...wash the dishes from morning breakfast....WRONG...after about a 1/2 hour we decide to check him out in case a bear came along.....well he looked the same color as a black bear...well...his hands anyway....decided to try and wash the coffee pot from the woodfire...you should have seen his hands.... ;D ;D ;D....we did alright for fishing on the weekend, but the last mistake was stopping for breakfast in town at a local eatery (with bathroom)....felt like 3 hours before he arrived back at the table for his bacon n eggs lmao...brushed his teeth for several hours....used the porcelain for awhile.....and we NEVER took him fishing again.......and my sister dumped him not too long after......WUSS......Grump ;D

devil-man

« Reply #74 on: Aug 05, 2006, 03:02 AM »
LOL! That sounds like my buddies son!
(Not quite as funny, because he is handicapped, but still...)

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.