FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Carp swarm  (Read 7418 times)

Taxidermist

Re: Carp swarm
« Reply #15 on: Apr 17, 2006, 09:52 PM »
I don't think they're coming up to spawn, because they're almost always there so long as the water is warm. I"ll get a few more pics next time I'm there, but the water comes off from a shallow marshy pond and dumps into a pretty major water system. I think the nutrient-rich water attracts them.

There's sort of a ledge that they shouldn't be able to jump over, so that keeps them out. You can't fish from shore there, but if you navigate up the seneca river you can fish from the river side in a boat.  I was up there two weeks ago, no carp yet but more Northern Shovelers than I've ever seen in my life. Beautiful ducks!

Taxidermist (Flagstealer)   :tipup: :tipup: :tipup:

Reel Wet Ride

• Team Michigan
« Reply #16 on: Apr 18, 2006, 09:35 AM »
That picture almost makes me sick........Can you imagine that herd of cattle feeding over a flat during the spring spawning season....how do other species even stand a chance???

Skipper

• MFF Mod Team
  • Fish for uglies!
« Reply #17 on: Apr 18, 2006, 07:47 PM »
That picture almost makes me sick........Can you imagine that herd of cattle feeding over a flat during the spring spawning season....how do other species even stand a chance???

The DNR in my state will take drastic measures when it comes to carp like this. When worse comes to worse, they will go as far as "chemically reclaming" the lake. Carp are fun to catch, but they are still an invasive species.

Reel Wet Ride

• Team Michigan
« Reply #18 on: Apr 19, 2006, 09:33 AM »
I know. Don't get me wrong, I love the fight they put up, but the amount of damage these overgrown goldfish do is crazy. Its hard to believe that they were once thought to be the next wave of food fish in the United States.

Skipper

• MFF Mod Team
  • Fish for uglies!
« Reply #19 on: Apr 20, 2006, 01:42 PM »
Its hard to believe that a non native species can be so widely distributed.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.