FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: 4-wheeler question  (Read 8056 times)

Jigwiggler

Re: 4-wheeler question
« Reply #15 on: Apr 10, 2004, 03:34 PM »
DCD - I know that Timberline Polaris sold alot of those models. They are in Montrose PA.  I'll do some checking and see what I can find.

I have a 2003 Kawasaki Prairie 650 and am very happy with it. 

Cider - you definatley picked the right one.  I have had the privelage of riding several of those and they are awesome machines.  I have been a Polaris man as long as I have had 4-wheelers but there is a very good chance my next will be a Prairie.  Had a Grizzly for a short time and did not like it, too top heavy and have a clumsy shifter.  The new 700 Sportsmans are to bulky for my liking.  Hondas are too slow.  Never owned or ridden any of the newer Bombardier, Suzuki or Artic Cats so I can't speak for them.  I have a Polaris Scrambler now and it does everything I need.  It is not a work machine though, I only haul my ice fishing equip., treestands and a few deer with mine so it works ok.  I often see times when I wish I had a low range and my next quad will have one.
May your doorknobs smell of fish!!

depthchargedriller

« Reply #16 on: Apr 10, 2004, 05:30 PM »
thanks alot jigwiggler. i still cant beilve that geting that kind of work done that i need costs $600.00 :o :o :o.

Jigwiggler

« Reply #17 on: Apr 10, 2004, 05:42 PM »
What exactly is wrong with your machine?  You were looking for a crank, is it too bad to turn?  That's alot cheaper than buying a new one.

depthchargedriller

« Reply #18 on: Apr 10, 2004, 10:14 PM »
well i the guy that i took it to said that basicly " the bottem of the piston blow up" :o :o :-\ now im not sure if that can actully happen but since im not a motor head, i just left it up to him to figure out whats wrong with it. he said that i need a new crank and berrings to go with it, along with a new piston and hte rings of course and he said i needed it to be bored out becuase there is alot of scratches in it. he said it would be cheaper if i would just be able to find a used crank off of another old trial boss. i have found a few on e-bay but people said not to really trust it. i just found one on there like 30 min ago. here is hte web page  http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=43972&item=2473350640&rd=1 well considering that it wont do a hyper link in the preview u can jsut copy and paste it on there. hopefully some of you guys that know a little about the whole engin thing can give me a heads up. the guy came right and said that the top end needs to be redone. but that is always cheaper than geting the whole thing done.

depthcharge

depthchargedriller

« Reply #19 on: Apr 11, 2004, 08:08 PM »
who here thinks that i should put 600.00 into my 4-wheeler now or just say screw it and try and find another. at this point im dieing to hit the trails.

crappieman12887

« Reply #20 on: Apr 11, 2004, 10:21 PM »
i message me and i will try to hook you up 600hundered buck seems like a lot i have rebuilt alo of them under that.bill

reelcharacter

• They call it fishing, not catching, for a reason
« Reply #21 on: Apr 11, 2004, 11:11 PM »
Here she is in all her glory boys!  At work and play!!  ;D

Cider,
Looked up your rig on-line some last night. Nice sounding work / play horse. $7,000 for a new one is close to what a John Deere Gator could cost me. The Gator is not the same animal by any means, but would be the better soil workhorse for my landscape use, do not know how well it would be for ice use.

-Reelcharacter
Email me to swap information on fishing holes or to go fish'in sometime in the Syracuse Central NY area (Onondaga and Madison county water holes in particular).

Jigwiggler

« Reply #22 on: Apr 12, 2004, 08:12 AM »
Reelcharacter,
     If you're looking at the Gator check out the Cub Cadet Big Country.  Same idea but better construction, hydraulic dump bed will dump 1500 lbs., 6 wheel independant suspension, Honda engines and a drivetrain you have to see to beleive.

Cider

« Reply #23 on: Apr 12, 2004, 08:51 AM »
Polaris has a new utility out that offers a dump bed etc. and yet it is still a big beefy quad.  It's the Polaris All Terrain Pick-Up (ATP).  New for 2004.  Available in 500 and 330.  Looks like it is getting a lot of great reviews for "model of the year".  I personally don't care for Polaris, but this one might be worth a look for you reelcharacter.  Could give you the best of both worlds perhaps.

I think a Gator would be horrible on ice.  Particularly if you had any snow cover at all.  They just don't have the traction, clearance, or horsepower for that sort of thing.  I wouldn't want to be out there in one and get it stuck.

Jigwiggler

« Reply #24 on: Apr 12, 2004, 01:18 PM »
The ATP is pretty neat, kind of a hybred.  Polaris also has the Ranger which has a bed similar to a Gator or Big Country (with out the payload).  It is offered in 4WD but drives with 2 front and 2 back wheels instead of 4 rear wheels like the other two.  This aids in steering in deep snow and very slippery conditions.

reelcharacter

• They call it fishing, not catching, for a reason
« Reply #25 on: Apr 12, 2004, 10:55 PM »
Thanks for the replies guys!

I will do a little on-line research in the next day or two on these models. (Story of my life, trying to get my cake and eat it two). Unlikely I will find a vehicle that meets all my diverse "needs", but with some care I should be able to get close. Thanks again!

-Reelcharacter
Email me to swap information on fishing holes or to go fish'in sometime in the Syracuse Central NY area (Onondaga and Madison county water holes in particular).

depthchargedriller

« Reply #26 on: Apr 13, 2004, 08:40 PM »
DCD,I'm in Michigan and have an 88 250 that is getting pretty weak,I need to break it down and do a complete rebuild and am having the same problem here.Finding used ones in half way decent shape is next to impossible and having it rebuilt is out of the question because of cost and age of machine..good luck on your quest........

i found a 88 trail boss motor on ebay. i put a bid on it the day i was supposed to get my engin back from the shop becuase i cant afford it right now and hte was turning the crank and i feel that there is no problem with it at all. the only thing was that the skirt of hte piston blow up and now there are little chunks of piston laying inside the block. anyways back to the point... there is a motor on ebay for 33.00 at the moment with me as the highest bidder. the pnly thing is i have hte bid up to 50.00. i havent yet been able to find the spot to retract hte bid. the web adress is http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&category=43977&item=2473150601&sspagename=STRK%3AMEBBI%3AIT it is only the bottem of it but i think it would be good for ya.

depthcharge

crappieman12887

« Reply #27 on: Apr 13, 2004, 09:21 PM »
stupied? i havent looked in my book yet but is your cylinder bore able or does it need to be cut and sleeved.alot of your two stroke motors now days use a electrolite cylinder and some are chrome,plated that will make a big differents in price rebuilding.bill

depthchargedriller

« Reply #28 on: Apr 14, 2004, 06:17 PM »
do you mean if it needs to rebored and or honed. im not sure if it even is one of em. my firend said that he dosent think that the crank is damaged at all so i think i just saved my self 320.00. but i am happy i got my new repair manual. i would give the place about 8 1/2 out of 10. the place was repairmanual.com they also have every day things like brakes and filters. if i always needed parts i think i would go to them for the filters and what not

depthcharge

crappieman12887

« Reply #29 on: Apr 14, 2004, 09:23 PM »
do you mean if it needs to rebored and or honed. im not sure if it even is one of em. my firend said that he dosent think that the crank is damaged at all so i think i just saved my self 320.00. but i am happy i got my new repair manual. i would give the place about 8 1/2 out of 10. the place was repairmanual.com they also have every day things like brakes and filters. if i always needed parts i think i would go to them for the filters and what not

depthcharge
what i am trying to say is do you know if you have a bore able cylinder they make them out of diffrent types of metal some  can be bored,and others must be bored and have a sleeve but in them ,and if you do have a bore able cylinder dont have it cut till you have your over size piston that way the guy doing the boreing can match the piston to the jug and remember oem [oranginal equiment goes by .05 and wisco goes by 0.10 and to make sure your first bore is cut .020 wisco that is as long as your cylinder isnt to messed up that way you are sure to clear all the roughness out of it.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.