FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Big Lake Nipigon strain brookie  (Read 4660 times)

taxid

Big Lake Nipigon strain brookie
« on: May 30, 2007, 09:43 PM »
I hope you guys don't mind me sharing this picture. Here's a 6 lb. 4 oz. brook trout I mounted (I'm a taxidermist) for the Red Cliff Tribal Hatchery in Bayfield, Wisconsin free of charge. I originally purchased this fish from them at about 7 inches, and after planting it into my personal pond it grew to this size 2 years later.  I really get a kick out of how happy the hatchery manager and his assistant were about this mount. They proudly display it at the hatchery. What a pig of a brookie eh? It's a Lake Nipigon strain brook trout that is being produced and planted into Lake Superior to bring back the coasters.

“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

PGKris

• Master of the micro leech
Re: Big Lake Nipigon strain brookie
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2007, 10:18 PM »
You're telling me that fish is three years old? That is disgusting.

Sailing team

Eventually, all things merge into one, and a river runs through it.

kayak2fish

« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2007, 10:35 PM »
What were you feeding it? Steaks?

seaweed01

« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2007, 10:38 PM »
What steriods did you have it on?

taxid

« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2007, 05:39 AM »
You're telling me that fish is three years old? That is disgusting.

Four years old. 2 years old when I planted it. The fish are actually much below average in growth when I pick them up due to the cold hatchery water of only 45 degrees.  Where I'm at, in my pond situation by adding well water, temps are as high as low 60's in the summer and they explode in growth.  In one year they average 14 inches and 2 + pounds and the following fall 21 inches and 5 lbs.
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

taxid

« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2007, 05:41 AM »
What were you feeding it? Steaks?

What steriods did you have it on?

Regular trout pellets. No steaks, no steroids.

pikemaster789

• MIRC!
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2007, 05:41 AM »
how much miracle grow do you add per week ???

Fishing is life

MIRC!

pirkaus

• Have you ever been too drunk to fish?
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2007, 05:53 AM »
Do you live next to a nuclear power plant? ;D
An old nuclear testing ground? ;D
Nice mount
If the rule is 5 fish or 5 pounds, what if the 5th fish weighs 5 pounds?

adkRoy

• MFF Mod Team
  • I'd rather be at camp.
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2007, 06:02 AM »
Great looking mount!

taxid

« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2007, 09:45 AM »
how much miracle grow do you add per week ???
Do you live next to a nuclear power plant?
An old nuclear testing ground?

Nope and Nope. Trout grow fast on high protein feed. It's just a matter of having the right water temperature, good dissolved oxygen, and all they can eat.

carpcatcher

« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2007, 01:54 PM »
When I was on a caribou hunt the other year we say some fish just like that one. A local guy caught them in the river where we were staying. He said that it was common for them to get brookies that size but only native people were aloud to fish there. That is one very nice mount but you really cant appreciate fish like that till you see them flopping around in the water.
         Jim
Love 2 fish

PGKris

« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2007, 04:46 PM »
Carpcatcher, the thing is that the fish you were seeing in that river were likely 7-10 years old and had grown that way NATURALLY. Something to be said about native fish in native waters....

Essentially it's the same as caging a pig and feeding it everything it can eat until it gets so fat that it is near death.

NOT the way fish are supposed to be raised. IMO

Sailing team

taxid

« Reply #12 on: May 31, 2007, 10:32 PM »
Carpcatcher, the thing is that the fish you were seeing in that river were likely 7-10 years old and had grown that way NATURALLY. Something to be said about native fish in native waters....

Essentially it's the same as caging a pig and feeding it everything it can eat until it gets so fat that it is near death.

NOT the way fish are supposed to be raised. IMO

Naughty naughty! ;D  I knew it was a matter of time before someone said something that smacks of jealousy. I guess I will have to keep my pics to myself from now on.  ::)

PGKris

« Reply #13 on: May 31, 2007, 10:49 PM »
Oh don't worry. I'm not jealous. If you were looking to make people jealous, maybe you shouldn't post any more pics. I'm not ever going to be jealous of a pellet fed pig.

Sailing team

sbfpa_Mike

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #14 on: Jun 01, 2007, 06:12 AM »
Ah PG, why must you go there. The man is proud of what he has accomplished. He didn't pass it off a AWESOME catch. He didn't lie about the 20 minute fight. He posted a picture of a fish that he raised in a controlled environment and worked very hard a recreating all it's visual glory in a mount for many to appreciate. The hatchery gets some satisfaction that they are producing a quality fish the has great potential.

I am pretty sure that Taxidermist1 didn't lay down any challenge to you. I am pretty sure T1 didn't call you out. MAYBE you shouldn't post any more replies, I appreciate T1's picture a whole lot more than your critical replies.

Thanks for the pic T1, you did a beautiful job.

Mike

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.