FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Are passports needed to travel from Canada into USA???  (Read 5685 times)

Ice Dawg

Re: Are passports needed to travel from Canada into USA???
« Reply #15 on: Apr 14, 2008, 05:18 PM »
Glad to be able to help.  ;D
It seems to go from zero to hero all some have to do is lie.

herefishyfishyfishy

• A.K.A. Ice Diva
« Reply #16 on: Apr 14, 2008, 06:26 PM »
I believe the fee is $200 and it is an application for some kind of pardon which will eventually cost you over $1,000. If your DUI is over 10 years old you are considered as rehabilitated and should be let into Canada. If it is under 10 years old you may have trouble and either pay to get in or be turned back at the border. If you have more that one DUI, forget getting in if they check. 

ARE YOU CRIMINALLY INADMISSIBLE TO CANADA?

Security and enforcement at the Canada-United States border has heightened in recent years. For this reason, more U.S. citizens with past criminal charges or convictions are refused entry into Canada. Canadians with past criminal charges or convictions seeking entry into the U.S. are denied entry as well. In some cases, Canadian immigration officers at ports of entry can allow a person with a criminal record into Canada; however, approval cannot be guaranteed, and a processing fee must be paid.

Almost all convictions (including DUI, DWI, reckless driving, negligent driving, misdemeanour drug possession, all felonies, domestic violence (assault IV), shoplifting, theft, etc) make a person inadmissible to Canada, regardless of how long ago they occurred. For this reason, it is not recommended that persons with past convictions attempt to enter Canada without first obtaining necessary documents. It is always the final decision of officers at ports of entry to decide whether a person is allowed into Canada.
There are several ways individuals can overcome criminal inadmissibility:

deemed rehabilitation at a Canadian port of entry
approval of rehabilitation through a Canadian Consulate in the United States
temporary resident permit through a Canadian Consulate in the United States
ARE YOU DEEMED REHABILITATED?
Persons are eligible to apply for deemed rehabilitation at a port of entry if the following are true:

There was only one conviction in total or one criminal act
At least ten years have elapsed since all of the sentences for the conviction were completed (payment of all fees, jail time completed, restitution paid, etc.)
The conviction would not be considered serious criminality in Canada (most felony convictions in the United States are considered serious criminality in Canada)
The conviction did not involve any serious property damage, physical harm to any person, or any type of weapon
Deemed rehabilitation is determined at Canadian ports of entry. Please be advised that requesting deemed rehabilitation does not guarantee that the request will be approved. Should a person wish to be considered for deemed rehabilitation, the following documents may be brought to a port of entry during regular business hours (Monday - Friday between 8 am and 5 pm):

a completed application form
United States passport or birth certificate plus photo identification
a copy of court documents for each conviction, and proof that all sentences were completed
a recent FBI criminal record check
recent police certificates  from the state where the conviction(s) occurred and from any state where a person has lived for six(6) months or longer in the last 10 years
If you are not certain that you are deemed rehabilitated or would prefer to know whether you are criminally inadmissible before your planned trip to Canada, you may apply for rehabilitation at the office in Detroit and submit a non-refundable processing fee. If you meet the requirements for deemed rehabilitation, they will send you a letter to that effect. If you do not, they will process your application for approval of rehabilitation. You must apply well in advance of your trip as routine applications can take six months or more to process.

Thanks ice dawg ! the info helps to plan ahead

taxid

« Reply #17 on: Apr 16, 2008, 05:27 AM »
You know what I wonder about? What if they bring someone in the data base with the same first and last name and that person has a criminal record? I have a very unusual first and last name but I googled my name on the Internet and came up with 12 other people in the U.S. that share my name. Can you imagine how many people there are in the U.S. that share common names like Dave Smith or something? I know there would be different addresses and such but if the entry person was a pr***...
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

Ice Dawg

« Reply #18 on: Apr 16, 2008, 05:48 PM »
They check you through Interpol and I am surprised that our government gives them as much information as they do. I think they will check you through your SSN if they have to. They know everything you have done.

sageur

• wetter the water the better
« Reply #19 on: Apr 16, 2008, 09:39 PM »
ThERE still seems to be some confusion within my group of fellow fishing buddies as to whats needed to travel to Canada and back?  Some say just birth certificate and photo I.D., and others say that you need an official PASSPORT this year.  HELP!!!  deerjohn
I believe pasports into Canada have been suspended for a year because the delay in issuing them.

sageur

« Reply #20 on: Apr 16, 2008, 09:41 PM »
They check you through Interpol and I am surprised that our government gives them as much information as they do. I think they will check you through your SSN if they have to. They know everything you have done.
BIG BRO IS WATCHING AND HES GETTING BIGGER

sageur

« Reply #21 on: Apr 16, 2008, 09:44 PM »
I wonder what happens when your fishing a boarder lake and caught on the Canada side fishing

Drifter_016

« Reply #22 on: Apr 18, 2008, 11:17 AM »
I wonder what happens when your fishing a boarder lake and caught on the Canada side fishing

Nothing, as long as you have a Canadian fishing license EH! If you don't you will be taken into the town square and publicly flogged!!!!   ;D ;D ;D

MasterAngler

« Reply #23 on: Apr 18, 2008, 11:32 AM »
I just got looking into the DUI thing and its funny that Canada won't allow US citizens in with a DUI, without fees, etc, but the U.S. allows canadians in with DUIs on they're criminal record.
Seven days without fishing, makes one weak.

sageur

« Reply #24 on: Apr 18, 2008, 03:25 PM »
Nothing, as long as you have a Canadian fishing license EH! If you don't you will be taken into the town square and publicly flogged!!!!   ;D ;D ;D
I dont think I could stand more tha 15 lashings ;D ;D ;D ;D

Ice Dawg

« Reply #25 on: Apr 20, 2008, 07:46 PM »
I just got looking into the DUI thing and its funny that Canada won't allow US citizens in with a DUI, without fees, etc, but the U.S. allows canadians in with DUIs on they're criminal record.

A DUI is a felony in Canada and Canadians coming here have a felony on their record to deal with. They have problems coming down here if they have a felony. I have been on a couple of forums where Canadians complain about the problems they have when they come south.

sageur

« Reply #26 on: Apr 20, 2008, 09:45 PM »
the Canadian government sure does not mind selling all that oil to us or even that madcow. but when it comes to us spending money their its a differant story.

perchwisher

• nice one!!!
« Reply #27 on: Apr 20, 2008, 10:01 PM »
I personally never had a problem!!!! I was told if its a dwi then your screwed not a dui...dwi you have to pay fees if questioned on it...dwi felony dui misdeaner
JUST ONE LAST CAST!

Ice Dawg

« Reply #28 on: Apr 21, 2008, 12:20 PM »
I personally never had a problem!!!! I was told if its a dwi then your screwed not a dui...dwi you have to pay fees if questioned on it...dwi felony dui misdeaner

Where I live there is no difference between the two. The offense used to be a DWI (Driving While Intoxicated), they changed it to DUI (Driving Under the Influence) in order to cover being under the influence of drugs other than alcohol. The way I understand it, they are both the same offense where I live.

troutchaser

« Reply #29 on: Apr 22, 2008, 11:35 AM »
I had heard that a DUI is considering a felony in Canada and that if there is one on your record you will be denied entrance. anybody confirm that???? wasnt' sure about the source
     I HEARD THE SAME THING

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.