FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Where are all the Fly Fishermen?!  (Read 3685 times)

MickeyFinn

• 25" ADK Leaper
Re: Where are all the Fly Fishermen?!
« Reply #15 on: Apr 24, 2009, 06:33 PM »
Are there any others out there? Within the last year ive switched almost exclusively to fly fishing no matter what the species. And the results are amazing! Literally triple your catch no matter what the species is! I don't get why more people don't get into it (other than the cost of equipment). So are there any others out there like me?!?! And if so, what do you target? just trying to get some convo going here with other flyfishermen.
Been at the fly fishing gig for about 15 years now, and all I can say is your right.. I target mostly browns but I will also dable  with smallies,walleye and pike. Trolling with a fly rod for lakers and brookies is a lot of fun I might add. I think the biggest thing is the natural imitations you offer the fish. A big thing in stream fishing would be the unbelievable control you have over your line. It's very difficult to make a spiner dance through a seam from any angle.. It can be very effectivel with a streamer or bugger on a fly rod. Stripping buggers and streamers on a lake for bass is a blast.
We were biting this morning, we were biting this morning, we were biting this morning......

Drifter_016

« Reply #16 on: Apr 24, 2009, 08:22 PM »
I've been flyfishing for over 25 years now. Wow I'm gettin' old!!!!   :'(
I used to fish small mouth bass (fun fish) when I lived back East.
Now I fish Rainbows, Steelhead, Salmon, Char, Lakers, Grayling, Pike.......................................
Last year I proved to my friends that I could outfish them on flies.
We were fishing the Kenai River for silvers and my two buddies fished bait and hardware and I fished flies.
I think the end total was about 10:1 flies over everything else.  ;D
I was whipped by the end of the day.  :rotflol:

troutaddict33

« Reply #17 on: Apr 24, 2009, 09:17 PM »
I'de LOVE to try flyfishing for pike. What do you guys use for pike?

tom1234505

• 17 years old
« Reply #18 on: Apr 24, 2009, 09:37 PM »
I'de LOVE to try flyfishing for pike. What do you guys use for pike?

I woudl try something that imitaed a sculpin since pike do feed on them. I have an uncle that told me this and hes been fishing for over 50 years! :o   well hope this helped-
tight lines
Tom
<br /><br />

geothefisher

• OPEN WATER!
« Reply #19 on: Apr 24, 2009, 09:42 PM »
Flyfishing for pike is great.  I use larger streamer patterns, and large wooly buggers.  I'll tie the wooly buggers on 3/0 hooks.  Use some bright colors.  I use an ugly stick 8/9 wt rod for pike.
It doesn't matter if you are trolling, casting, drop-shotting, flipping, pitching or jigging.  Just as long as you are FISHING!!!!   NAFC Life Member

zario_1

« Reply #20 on: Apr 24, 2009, 09:43 PM »
Troutaddict,
 I like to tie all diferent types of big streamers,but i like llama hair for its length. i have had good luck on a white streamer that has long marabou tied to the back of the hook, then palmered marabou to the head of the hook where i have a cone for weight. White is my most succesful color. my biggest pike on the fly is 33" but i have seen bigger fish follow my fly just to turn away, doh! Any other questionsabout fish for pike on the fly just pm me.

Steelie Slayer

• Serious Steelhead NUT!!!!!!!
« Reply #21 on: Apr 24, 2009, 09:52 PM »
FLy fisher here, mostly for steelies in the spring on the river with nymphs.  Do a little dry and streamer fishin for trout, streamer fishin for smallies, and fly fishin for bass and pannies and sometimes pike in open water. Tie all of my own flies been at it for 10 yrs. Caught my first steelie on a fly rod at age 9, ever since then i've been an animal for it!
TEAM STEEL!!!!!!!

I caught a fish once!

"We drank all this fish..... And we caught all the beer, err we caught all the fish...... And drank all the beer!"

wildman

« Reply #22 on: Apr 24, 2009, 10:06 PM »
Yup!!
Pike on the fly are a blast!!!
Especially when they are big!!!
We chuck either large natural patterns like muddled minnows and leeches or big gaudy streamers
The key for the hogs we found is big,big,big!!!
Oh, and a suitable leader of course ;)

Drifter_016

« Reply #23 on: Apr 24, 2009, 10:20 PM »
 Big streamers, leaches and my favorite Dahlberg Divers.  ;D

troutaddict33

« Reply #24 on: Apr 25, 2009, 07:06 AM »
I figured anything big... going out for crapies in an hour or so. We'll see how it works out

Madpuppy

• HOWASAPA
« Reply #25 on: Apr 25, 2009, 08:30 AM »
What would you guys recomend for White Bass, they've been hitting on small Red Devil spoons at a local lake and I would like to give the fly rod a try. Remember I'm new to this fly gig, so can you cast a spoon with a fly rod?
I'D RATHER BE HATED FOR WHO I AM,
THAN LOVED FOR WHO I'M NOT.

MickeyFinn

• 25" ADK Leaper
« Reply #26 on: Apr 25, 2009, 09:47 AM »
What would you guys recomend for White Bass, they've been hitting on small Red Devil spoons at a local lake and I would like to give the fly rod a try. Remember I'm new to this fly gig, so can you cast a spoon with a fly rod?

I'd just bring a spinning rod, or you can get some spinner flies, they are not easy to cast at a distance but they work.

Here is the way I look at fly fishing. Whatever lure you use on a spinning rod there is a fly that is its' counterpart. Red Devil spoons could be easly imitated with a streamer. Woolly Buggers could be used in place of grubs and twisters, ask any one, it's a very usefull fly.

We were biting this morning, we were biting this morning, we were biting this morning......

Madpuppy

• HOWASAPA
« Reply #27 on: Apr 25, 2009, 10:00 AM »
Thanks Mickey, I'll give those a try. I've been using the spinning rods and want to give the fly fishing thing a lash so I figure I may as well fish for something that I know is biting.
I'D RATHER BE HATED FOR WHO I AM,
THAN LOVED FOR WHO I'M NOT.

therealjt

« Reply #28 on: Apr 26, 2009, 08:16 AM »
had a buddy hand me a fly rod last year with a little popper on it and the blugill were about a week from spawn... i am ready to get it out, no trout around me so its pretty much panfish for me. When the fly rod does come out it outfishes atleast 3 to 1
quoted from piker1
"flyfishing is just like eating popcorn , once ya start you can't stop lol ......"

stripergirl

« Reply #29 on: Apr 26, 2009, 02:57 PM »
Hello fellow anglers of the flies.....I love the sport and have been practicing for a few years up here in VT

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.